Dynadot

discuss Looking at Namebio recently completed sales / prices for real word domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xynames

XYNames.comTop Member
Impact
Granted, a lot of these are not the greatest names, and not all sold retail, but here are some examples I culled of domains that in my opinion, sold about 50% too low, at least, if not more, compared with comparable domains I have sold recently at XYNames.com :

tvlink.com $1737 Dropcatch 10/15/2017
determinedtoquit.com $1231. GoDaddy 10/15/2017
electroland.com $1318. NameJet 10/12/2017
greatproperties.com $2099. NameJet 10/9/2017
callsafe.com $1247. GoDaddy 10/7/2017
depositadvance.com $1700. BuyDomains 10/6/2017
budgetservers.com $1500. BuyDomains 10/5/2017
streamfree.com $1280. GoDaddy 10/4/2017
cybermate.com $1800. BuyDomains 10/3/2017
sureheart.com $1388. BuyDomains 10/2/2017
sunstation.com $1609. NameJet 10/1/2017

Compare for example with:
regionalcontractors.com $3000. BuyDomains 10/5/2017
just as good, or bad, as some of the names above, sold for a more reasonable $3000. level.

I think too many domainers are letting go of their domains for the $1000. initial offer price, without trying to get what the domains are worth. As the inventory of people willing, or desperate, to sell cheap is weeded out, prices should rise. I am in no hurry to sell and manage to get my mid four figures for at least 2 - 3 domains a months lately.

I encourage you guys not to jump on the first $500. or $1000. offer you get, and negotiate! Or...hold...until the right buyer comes along. The right buyer for any of the above domains would have easily paid more than the price paid.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It makes me wonder too, if the real word domains are selling this cheap, the made up word domains (the ones people glorify as "brandable") must be selling for about nothing these days.

•••
You don't understand investing so much capital, and waiting years, if never to get an offer that is higher than your purchase price, plus add 15-20% exchange commissions just to break even.

This business does not work in the sense you buy domains for 50% of retail, and wait for an end user sale, you need much higher margins to actually make it taking into account carrying costs, and the lack of liquidity, along with low sell thru rates.

You mentioned 11 names above, which required investment of $17K. So for someone to invest $17K, and if they are using sedo, or afternic, they need to make $20K in sales just to break even, then work backwards to start getting their initial investment back, then an actual return on investment.

You will always have your own one off sales to skew the median results, but from an investor standpoint if you pay 2X higher than what you are suggesting here, you will be most likely in the red. Many new startups, and low budget bootstrappers have viable options in play from 1000 gtld strings all the way down to .io, ai, etc...

There is no guarantees in purchasing from the aftermarket, and finding an instant end user willing to pay you more than you paid, plus cover your commissions, and then a premium on top. The sales you mention some are aftermarket sales, other seem to be end user sales, showing they are basically similar to what investors are paying.

As for domainers letting their domains go cheap, this is only knowledge one gets for holding for many years, without offers, or multiple lowball offers, and eventually they feel the renewal pinch, or other lack of capital pinch, and have to bite the bullet. Happens in every industry, like how many of us would have asked $1.2M for MyWorld.com, if anyone of us got 25% of that for it, we would be happy.

Last edited:
•••
You write a lot, but you're not really saying much. Just general sophisms. Still, your input is appreciated, thank you.

The reality is that all of the names I mention, I could have sold for at least double, to the same buyer.

As noted, regionalcontractors is an example of someone who sold a comparable to the other domains I mention domain, for closer to what the domain was worth.

Last edited:
•••
Most of the listed domains have sold to domainers, not end users. While I assume your sales are to end users ?

•••
In the Rolex market, which I am a big Rolex and other fine timepiece collector, starting in the 1990s the difference between retail and wholesale in the Rolex re-sale market effectively disappeared as most every guy who wanted was able to gain access to the same watches, same marketplaces as anyone else. Gradually, a big watch dealer wasn't able to get a much better deal than a single watch buyer.

Similarly, in the domain marketplace as end users figure out how to access places like Namejet and so on, the difference between wholesale and retail starts diminishing. Also, as far as the above list we may assume that BuyDomains and GoDaddy sales are probably to end users, but again, we can't even know for sure.

I think where the difference between wholesale and retail domain pricing really disappears - is with higher quality domains. For those, the buyer must pay what is asked, because there are far fewer comparables.

I have sold to both resellers and end users, I do not differentiate between them I ask for what the domain is worth, and if they won't pay it, they won't get it.

•••
Good example with the Rolex market, something similar I feel is evolving with domaining.

As for purchases at GD auctions, sometimes it is end users, but most of the time it is overpaying domainers. Many times I have seen domains bought there for $xxx and even $x,xxx by wannabe domainers drop after 1 year. Then resold....

BuyDomains sell to end users and very often they sell too low.

•••
I actually often use buydomains are comparables to show my buyers. Anyway, buydomains is a reality and I believe I need to take a look at it before I quote a price on my domains. I must assume that my buyers know what else it out there.

Just like when you play chess - you make your move assuming that your opponent is smart and will come back with the best possible move. Similarly, with domain sales, I assume that my buyer will do his homework and take a look at comparable sales and current listings. Anyway, whether the potential buyer does this or not, I show him the comparables! to support my asking price. :xf.grin:

•••
Anyway: my motto is, don't sell cheap! You don't have to!

•••
don't sell cheap! You don't have to!

Or, "Don't sell cheap IF you don't have to !"
Because often times people need to sell...even at low prices.

Regarding you mentioning BuyDomains sales, you can alternatively send them to a similar, but definitely inferior, HugeDomains listing , which is for sale for $2,xxx. :xf.wink:

•••
sold about 50% too low, at least, if not more, compared with comparable domains I have sold recently at XYNames.com

That would be interesting to look at. The names you posted and the comparables you sold for more. Can you please share.

Side note, what in the world are you doing. I decided to take a look at your names, it stops at F, then I see you have to pay $49 to see all the domains you are selling? That's insane, who would do that.

Last edited:
•••
What you're referring to is the outside link (not on my website) to be able to look at anyone's complete portfolio.

I have thousands of names, both my own and ones I am brokering and they're not all listed right on my main website, but all are listed for sale on various platforms and mirror satellite websites of mine. I may create a searchable SQL database of all of them for my main website in the future.

As far as sharing what I sold, and for exactly what:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/so...an-anonymous-individual.1044941/#post-6391960

Last edited:
•••
What you're referring to is the outside link (not on my website) to be able to look at anyone's complete portfolio.

I have thousands of names, both my own and ones I am brokering and they're not all listed right on my main website, but all are listed for sale on various platforms and mirror satellite websites of mine. I may create a searchable SQL database of all of them for my main website in the future.

As far as sharing what I sold, and for exactly what:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/so...an-anonymous-individual.1044941/#post-6391960

Then it seems like you're just advertising your site. You made a claim you're selling comparable domains for more, starting a thread about it. Then leave out the most important stuff to your claim, actual sales. People make things up on forums all the time, that's why actual sales help.

And yes, when you're advertising your site to sell domains, it's good to have actual domains people can see and buy. Nobody is paying $49 to do that, it just impedes potential sales.

Last edited:
•••
Well if you read the above post #12, that is why I don't post actual sales on namepros. And if you'll notice the next namepros member came along and CONGRATULATED my reasoning.

However, this thread is not about me. I sell my domains at top prices; I don't need help from namepros to do that. This thread is an exhortation to other domainers to not sell themselves short! and to hold out for fair market value.

Last edited:
•••
Well if you read the above post #12, that is why I don't post actual sales on namepros.

However, this thread is not about me. I sell my domains at top prices; I don't need help from namepros to do that. This thread is an exhortation to other domainers to not sell themselves short! and to hold out for fair market value.

I have no idea if you sell any domains at all. Your sig since 2002 but it was regged in 2015 and Wayback Machine has only 1 entry, 2017. I was curious when you said you were selling domains since 2002, how your site looked like, if your domains were hidden even back then.

But yeah, you should never sell short but people have different circumstances. Some can hold, some need money now, some are quick flippers, some look at return etc.

Last edited:
•••
The newest landing page / website was created this year. The other one, since buried and on a different URL, dates back to the beginning. But as far as "I have no idea if you sell any domains at all," why, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't accuse someone of something so outlandish in public, that's ill mannered.

•••
The newest landing page / website was created this year. The other one, since buried and on a different URL, dates back to the beginning. But as far as "I have no idea if you sell any domains at all," why, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't accuse someone of something so outlandish in public, that's rude.

You started a thread with a claim of sales, saying some are selling low, while you're selling comparable ones for more, then posted none. It's not rude, it's a logical question. And as somebody who says they've been selling domains since 2002, you would know all the nonsense that goes on with this business, and would understand such questions.

Last edited:
•••
It's all right, move along and find another thread to troll, after you've learned some manners.

•••
The newest landing page / website was created this year. The other one, since buried and on a different URL, dates back to the beginning. But as far as "I have no idea if you sell any domains at all," why, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't accuse someone of something so outlandish in public, that's ill mannered.
It's all right, move along and find another thread to troll, after you've learned some manners.

I guess you forgot about your earlier posting:

I personally have been involved in domaining only since February 2017.

You've only been domaining 8 months according to you. Little different than 2002, 15 years. "Domains for sale since 2002"

Last edited:
•••
Hi

what i don't get is,

other than they all being .com, how is regionalcontractors.com, comparable to any of the other names in the initial post?

i agree that sellers should wait for the right buyers, but to those sellers, those buyers may have been the right person to sell to.

of course, some of those names were from the drops and were certainly bought by other domainers

imo....

Last edited:
•••
I guess you forgot about your earlier posting:"

I guess you forgot about this post of mine, along with your manners, that is:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ol...ioned-domains-post-sale.1044751/#post-6386391

Now, I personally have been domaining as in direct involvement of sales and marketing, since only very beginning of 2017, and done very well this year (but not with oddball names like bovine.com !) However, I have been financing domainers, including my own domaining company which someone else was running for me, since 2002. So I have observed the ups and downs of this industry for some time now.

I wish! I'd been domaining for only a matter of months - it would mean that I know all that I know in just months, and would mean that within a few years, given my progress is just a short year, I'd be as far removed from the rest of the domaining world as a human is over an amoeba. But no, I have learned what I have learned over the past 15 years.

You JBLions apparently been domaining a long time and all it seems to have accomplished is turned you into a negative naysayer with no manners.

---
Biggie.us - I find all of these domains to be similar in that they are all real word domains, mostly two words, some three, and verging on being a sort of EMD in that they have a fitness for a particular purpose.

Last edited:
•••
Biggie.us - I find all of these domains to be similar in that they are all real word domains, mostly two words, some three, and verging on being a sort of EMD in that they have a fitness for a particular purpose.

that's not how you illustrate comparables

imo...

•••
Obviously there is more to it, such as relative strength/value of keywords, but still these domains are similar to each other in the same way that a made up word "brandable" domain name, would be dissimilar to these real word domains....

Last edited:
•••
I guess you forgot about this post of mine, along with your manners, that is:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ol...ioned-domains-post-sale.1044751/#post-6386391

Now, I personally have been domaining as in direct involvement of sales and marketing, since only very beginning of 2017, and done very well this year (but not with oddball names like bovine.com !) However, I have been financing domainers, including my own domaining company which someone else was running for me, since 2002. So I have observed the ups and downs of this industry for some time now.

I wish! I'd been domaining for only a matter of months - it would mean that I know all that I know in just months, and would mean that within a few years, given my progress is just a short year, I'd be as far removed from the rest of the domaining world as a human is over an amoeba. But no, I have learned what I have learned over the past 15 years.

You JBLions apparently been domaining a long time and all it seems to have accomplished is turned you into a negative naysayer with no manners.

---

It's not a negative naysayer, it's me wanting you to back your post up. Again, you started a thread saying people are selling their names too low, and you're selling comparables for more. It's an obvious question, how much. And you have a string of excuses why you can't. You could be making that up, whose to know without any actual sales.

Looks like you're here just to advertise your site, in hope of getting actual sales. My suggestion to actually have your domains visible, is one way to start.

I'm just reading that thread you linked too. It's funny you having a problem with me asking questions, when you're doing exactly that with Ali's sales. He actually lists the sales, you won't.

The reality is that all of the names I mention, I could have sold for at least double, to the same buyer.

I guess that's the brokerage angle. Let me broker your names, I can get twice as much.

"my own domaining company which someone else was running for me, since 2002"

Ok, what's the name of that one?

Last edited:
•••
XYNames has always been the name of my company. We used a different landing page at a subdomain in the past, but I changed it to xynames.com/contact.html towards the beginning of this year. My manager's theory was to use a related "subdomain" (not dot com) that was a foreign URL to make it seem like we were overseas, I mean he had his reasons some of which are valid marketing theories, but I eventually decided that no, this is the way to do it, straight up xynames.com some time after we got that domain.

It is interesting though. Our old landing page, which for a short time was also at xynames.com (before that at the foreign domain URL) didn't even have a submission form and did not even have a clickable email hyperlink, but we still sold like gangbusters. If you have a quality product the buyers will find you.

I am offered dozens of domains to brokerage almost every week, lists are emailed to me constantly. I don't need namepros help for advertising; if I spend my time here, it is to help others and guide them, or to seek knowledge for myself.

Why not use your head / reasoning? What do I gain by asking others to NOT sell their domains cheap? Obviously - what I gain is keeping comparables UP so that the neighborhood (of domain sales) is not cheapened. This should be our common goal, to stand shoulder to shoulder in unity and try to get the most possible for our valuable property.

I guess you have a chip on your shoulder JB Lions or perhaps you wouldn't be so cynical. How about spending some time posting something helpful and informative in this thread rather than wasting all of our time with trying to gainsay what is posted.

Let's back up - so are you saying those domains I posted above all sold at full value?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back