IT.COM

discuss Location, location, location!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
If domain names are the real-estate of online business, is the extension the location? Does this tested-and-true adage apply to the Internet real-estate realm?

I think location location location is relevent with domains in a different sense than bricks-and-mortar. It is more of a stand-alone feat than the area it's located in. You can have a crummy neighborhood (eg .xyz), with an exemplary rated building in it (eg. abc.xyz). Or vice-versa: dot-com is the go to extension at any given time, but that doesn't mean there arent hundreds of thousands of horrible buildings in it.

Traditional extensions work because the location is historically recognizable, but they are really only used as a means to an end. With ngTLD's, both the left and the right of the dot are integral to their success. A "the medium is the message" philosophy can be adopted into the name, albeit almost better be painfully obvious for it to work.

Location does matter just as much as what you decide to build on it, when used properly.

Thoughts welcomed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
xyz is a bit of a strange one. I thought at first that it was rubbish, but it seems to be growing strength, and, to my mind. it makes more sense as a general TLD than most of the others.

But with regards to your original Q - I've always thought that the extension was equivalent to an Internet country. I'm coming round to the idea that the mass of new ones just separate the hopefuls from the .coms though. :)

•••
I like to relate extensions to the board game ..Monopoly@

There is BoardWalk and Park place .. (my opinion) the dot com's

Next in value..Pennsylvania etc .the dot nets

monopoly.jpg

•••
Yesterday I participated in a running event. After each individual event runners will go back to the electronic board to check their times (100 meters, 200 meters etc) After one of the events I was checking my times and the guy in charge of event timing mentioned that in the next day or so that event results would be posted on a website which was two words .US. I tried to make a mental note of the name but even a few hours later after lunch the only thing I could remember was something .US. Fortunately I could recall my own times. There is a site called MastersRankings.com Which does track event results across the U.S. and even some international events - actually a pretty good name for their specialty.

The .US case is just another example of small companies placing no value on domain names and then even potential customers or users cannot recall their online destination.

•••
location, location, location, but there is still those great sandwich shops that you go an extra 10 miles to eat at then going to mcdonalds.

•••
You left out ccTLDs. They are about location, and consumer can identify with them. Not to mention national pride...

Of course, .us is not a strong ccTLD at all and doesn't qualify much here.

•••
Perhaps the issue with the .US domain was that I was so focused on trying to remember .US that I forgot what was before the DOT. Of course I guess the name was just not a very memorable name - even though I could recall my marks in three separate events. I suppose the developer just could not find anything obvious and out of frustration just registered something that was available in some remote extension. But when there are now a thousand .Whatevers this will be a common problem for those companies which choose to brand on new TLDs which will result in a lot of misdirected traffic.

•••
In England u/s is shorthand for useless. This is no reflection on America, but just an abreviation of a descriptive word. I post this to show that you need to be careful with some of these initials.

•••
At present we are involved with the sale of a relative's home - lets look at location, location, and location.

The home's 1st location is the city it is in, its 2nd location is its particular sub-division and, its 3rd location is where it is set - and is set on a large beautiful lot .

These " 3 locations " are tantamount to the response of potential home buyers ( end-users).

However, were this property moved just a mile or so to a near-by city or another sub vision its' value would likely move down accordingly.

To me the words to the left of the dot are the house and lot, a stand-alone stable combo.

To me the words to the right of the dot are the city/sub-division, and is the variable that surely influences the value of the words to the left of the dot.

•••
You left out ccTLDs. They are about location, and consumer can identify with them. Not to mention national pride...

Of course, .us is not a strong ccTLD at all and doesn't qualify much here.
I figured ccTLD's could be lumped in with the "traditional" class, but you're right, talking about location they really should be a class of their own. They can reach even beyond their own geo-targeted borders, if properly used..ie Bit(ly)

•••
I like to relate extensions to the board game ..Monopoly@

monopoly.jpg
Of course you do :) and great analogy.
What would the railroads be? Can't build on them..but steady income.

•••
•••
In England u/s is shorthand for useless.
Lol, I've never seen that before..On the flipside, here in the Americas "uk" is could be easily associated with "yuck", something undesirable..
True how the extension in many cases can make or break a name. But .uk vs .us location and branding-wise, I think .uk gets the trust and popularity factor if anything. Sorry should I say .co.uk, as .uk hasn't taken off yet.

•••
•••
I wonder if a Trump-branded economy will strengthen or weaken the American dot-us real-estate? I think he could use it to his advantage.

•••
ccTLD.s ar every often used in a differnet form

for example .tv ( that,s why i lost my domain dsds.tv )

Why .ONLINE ?

For the online world, there may be no new TLD more fitting than .ONLINE, because it offers a broadly defined, generic term for open registration.

.ONLINE is perfect for any brick and mortar store trying to establish an online presence – yourstore.ONLINE, for example – or for any publication,

band, artist, or writer that offers a print product as well as an online version.

.ONLINE isn’t restricted to these examples, however, and can be used by any individual or organization for any reason.

online is a good location i guess :xf.wink:

sportwetten.online
$16,303
dma.online
$5,000
lasvegas.online
$4,750
wettbonus.online
$3,804
fay.online
$3,500
kreuzfahrten.online
$3,059
lodges.online
$1,633
monopoly.online
$1,321

Top 10 Biggest Selling gTLDs
Biggest Selling gTLDs

.TLD
Domains + Today
1 .xyz 6,201,843 4,577
2 .top 4,594,598 -6,774
3 .win 1,169,532 915
4 .wang (net) 943,608 -16,816
5 .club 832,336 1,007
6 .bid 585,325 403
7 .loan 548,573 1,848
8 .site 540,091 926
9 .online 507,944 2,855
10 .vip 501,030 2,978

•••
•••
Biggest Selling gTLDs

.TLD
Domains + Today
1 .xyz 6,201,843 4,577
2 .top 4,594,598 -6,774
3 .win 1,169,532 915
4 .wang (net) 943,608 -16,816
5 .club 832,336 1,007
6 .bid 585,325 403
7 .loan 548,573 1,848
8 .site 540,091 926
9 .online 507,944 2,855
10 .vip 501,030 2,978
Why isn't .one on that list?? :lookaround:

You know there are more businesses in the world that have the word "One" as part of their brand name than any other matching TLD name? Even movies, games, products of any kind incorporate it. I think the .one extension was a very smart release, but has a way to go to be realized its place. Same to be said for many other finely named nTLDs. But the world is in no rush for these kinds of assets, which leaves people flocking to whatever is perceived as easiest, most popular, not necessarily most relevent or best-fit.

Sure they all want to be .online and at the .top of their .game, and .win at some random .xyz's, but the fact remains: When you've got .one in your name, not even .com will ever be the same!

•••
Why isn't .one on that list?? :lookaround:

You know there are more businesses in the world that have the word "One" as part of their brand name than any other matching TLD name? Even movies, games, products of any kind incorporate it. I think the .one extension was a very smart release, but has a way to go to be realized its place. Same to be said for many other finely named nTLDs. But the world is in no rush for these kinds of assets, which leaves people flocking to whatever is perceived as easiest, most popular, not necessarily most relevent or best-fit.

Sure they all want to be .online and at the .top of their .game, and .win at some random .xyz's, but the fact remains: When you've got .one in your name, not even .com will ever be the same!

https://namestat.org/one :xf.wink:

profit.one
$2,500
duke.one
$500
333.one
$453
ringt.one
$350
love.one
$273
mlb.one
$200
880.one
$110
fed.one
$100
mal.one
$86
nanjing.one
$17

•••
.ONE is farther down on the list, @Michael Ehrhardt only listed the top ten

43 .one 58,869 -453

I find it fascinating how people "read" ccTLDs, personally once I get an idea in my head about how I would say the extension, it sticks. Like GY (Guyana) always reads as GUY to me, MK (Macedonia) reads as MAKE, WF (Wallis and Futuna) reminds me of WTF even though there is also a ngTLD WTF anyway.

At least most of the ngTLDs make sense to be interpreted as they stand. And some have cultural meanings that are not obvious to me. One exception I can think of GDN, I feel sad for that one : smile :

•••
Yes the right domain name is very important. dot com dot com dot com

•••
I just wish real estate agents viewed geo domain names as internet real estate. They tend to use the worst domains - even hyphenated .infos or just their name to promote their listings. An agency in downtown West Palm Beach has a triple hyphenated .COM. Yet leases in that area (Clematis street) cost six figures annually.

•••
Of course you do :) and great analogy.
What would the railroads be? Can't build on them..but steady income.

I see railroads as TM's you can't build on them because once anyone does they get a a UDRP!

•••
I just wish real estate agents viewed geo domain names as internet real estate. They tend to use the worst domains - even hyphenated .infos or just their name to promote their listings. An agency in downtown West Palm Beach has a triple hyphenated .COM. Yet leases in that area (Clematis street) cost six figures annually.
"Housenumber+Streetname.com" for the listing has been the trend over the last few years around my area. It looks a little more presentable rather than using dashes, or the .info extension. Interestingly, your right, agents aren't using geo domains for this.

If you live in a hot area where a listing never lasts longer than a couple months, it doesnt make sense for the agent to go out of his way to invest in a "good looking" name if it's been taken. It's more a throw-away item. Once the house sells, the domain is useless to them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back