Domain Empire

discuss .LLC or .llc

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
While I was away for the last month the new .LLC extension was introduced by the registry Afilias. Here's the scoop from the PRNewswire; https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-llc-domain-landrush-period-begins-july-9-300677484.html

I became interested in this new extension almost immediately because every company I've started over the last 20 years is a limited liability company, and has the LLC designation as part of the name. This is very similar to Lawyers having PC or a Doctor having M.D.or D.O.

Because .LLC was new and just out of the blocks I was able to register about a dozen pretty good single word .LLC's. What I've learned since is that many businesses carry the .LLC designation as part of their business name just as if they were required to designate .com as part of their name.

Since, I've done a demographic study to determine how many LLC's there are in the states and how many new LLC's are created each year. Because my brother-in-law has been designated as a "business" lawyer by the ABA, I discovered that he's helped start and name a new business a week for the last 35 years, or about 2,000 businesses. Heck, 25 of them have been mine, of which 5 or 6 of them my brother-in-law has partnered with me.

While it's still too early to tell, .LLC may become one of the new TLD's that is not only here to stay, but may even become profitable sooner rather than later....that's if I have anything to do with it:xf.grin:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Recons...I just luv the fact you know what I can and can't do. You have absolutely NO CLUE, especially of the contacts I have in the legal industry that's responsible for starting and representing 90% of all the LLC's in the world. Keep throwing the insults though, you don't know how powerful they are:xf.wink:

I don't have to know you for the conclusion. As long as you are not Bezos, Buffett, Gates, Musk, you don't have any capacity to move the needle.

If your lawyer friends bought into becoming sales agents for you, they might get few of their clients to buy into something they will regret down the road, but that will be a drop in the ocean regardless.

•••
I don't have to know you for the conclusion. As long as you are not Bezos, Buffett, Gates, Musk, you don't have any capacity to move the needle.

If your lawyer friends bought into becoming sales agents for you, they might get few of their clients to buy into something they will regret down the road, but that will be a drop in the ocean regardless.

"I would never advice a business to do otherwise and I would feel awkward trying to sell something different to a business."

You're a funny man...assuming you are a man. btw, it's "advise" not "advice", but that's a little like one of the other old timers here correcting "click" vs. "clique". Recons, I can sell anything I believe in and not feel the least bit awkward despite you would.

You're very encouraging....thanks a million:xf.grin:

•••
By the way, my argument was against over generalizing on either side of this and many arguments that are all over NPs.

On the specific topic of this thread, my own views are that even IF it does become common for businesses to want a llc or a ltd, I still have difficulty understanding (admittedly without thinking about it deeply) how it is very lucrative for domain investors, except possibly for those offering the service of helping companies secure their own name via registration, purchase, or legal challenge. It seems to me that the main use of the extension will be for companies who want their company name with the legal designation as the extension. Contrary to some, I can see a lot of sense in that. But if I register another company name then it is in bad faith, or if I register a name I hope someone will use in future the probability is low (like in brandables). If there is a market here, I think some brandables might secure both com/etc plus a LLC/LTD so the potential purchaser could have both. Worth the reg fee? Probably not but I might well be wrong.

While i am not personally planning to invest in this extension, I do thank @Bulloney for bringing the topic to NPs. I think even if you don't go down a path, you should know all the path choices. Knowledge is always good, and I have learned from this thread.

BTW I agree with most of your points re what makes sense for (can argue if it is 99% or 95%) of businesses, @Recons.Com. Depending on type of business I would include io and some others like ai in your list, and also some of the new extensions suited to a particular business, but overall I agree. There is still room for the 1% or 5% or whatever that want to think different.

My point was to urge us not to over generalize as the "trash" comment did in my humble opinion. I think following applies to domaining too!

"Things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler" - A Einstein

Last edited:
•••
"I would never advice a business to do otherwise and I would feel awkward trying to sell something different to a business."

You're a funny man...assuming you are a man. btw, it's "advise" not "advice", but that's a little like one of the other old timers here correcting "click" vs. "clique". Recons, I can sell anything I believe in and not feel the least bit awkward despite you would.

You're very encouraging....thanks a million:xf.grin:

Wow, great spelling catch.

Here is another piece of advice for you:

Get a life.

•••
By the way, my argument was against over generalizing on either side of this and many arguments that are all over NPs.

On the specific topic of this thread, my own views are that even IF it does become common for businesses to want a llc or a ltd, I still have difficulty understanding (admittedly without thinking about it deeply) how it is very lucrative for domain investors, except possibly for those offering the service of helping companies secure their own name via registration, purchase, or legal challenge. It seems to me that the main use of the extension will be for companies who want their company name with the legal designation as the extension. Contrary to some, I can see a lot of sense in that. But if I register another company name then it is in bad faith, or if I register a name I hope someone will use in future the probability is low (like in brandables). If there is a market here, I think some brandables might secure both com/etc plus a LLC/LTD so the potential purchaser could have both. Worth the reg fee? Probably not but I might well be wrong.

While i am not personally planning to invest in this extension, I do thank @Bulloney for bringing the topic to NPs. I think even if you don't go down a path, you should know all the path choices. Knowledge is always good, and I have learned from this thread.

BTW I agree with most of your points re what makes sense for (can argue if it is 99% or 95%) of businesses, @Recons.Com. Depending on type of business I would include io and some others like ai in your list, and also some of the new extensions suited to a particular business, but overall I agree. There is still room for the 1% or 5% or whatever that want to think different.

My point was to urge us not to over generalize as the "trash" comment did in my humble opinion. I think following applies to domaining too!

"Things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler" - A Einstein
Bob...all of your posts and comments are well thought out and make a lot of sense. As you've learned, I'm an equal opportunity domainer like you, but not with the same experience or class. Just this am I hand reg'd a couple of Cannabis and Marijuana "Perk(s)" .com domains. I haven't checked to see if they were available in other extensions like .ca, but the fact they were available in .com really surprised me. I've let our friend Rex know I own them, and maybe being the the Cannabis domain King, he'll have a market for them. On another note, besides .LLC, you know I have mini portfolios of other extensions like: .Golf, .Loans, .Consulting and even .Pizza just to name a few. As a business guy, I can assure you I wouldn't own any of the new TLD's if I didn't like them. I would proudly use domains like Dominoes.Pizza, Professional.Golf, Mortgage.Loans etc. if these were my businesses. However, I do own hundreds of names that compare, and I like them just as much.

Again thanks Bob....you sir are a Canadian Gentleman....isn't that a Whisky? Virginia Gentlemen is:xf.wink:

•••
@Bulloney

It would be Dominos.pizza, not Dominoes.pizza

I know spelling is important for you. Wouldn't want you to live your life, assuming you got one, believing there is an "e" there.

Sorry for interruption. Go on about your mini-portfolios and perks of smoking weed...

Last edited:
•••
Recons, I can sell anything I believe in and not feel the least bit awkward despite you would.
Right, sell me one of your domains, should be easy with your supernatural persuasion power :) Or try another NPer maybe, because I may be too resistant to the Koolaid.

•••
My opinion is the extension is rubbish - just what I think, Bulloney you think it's great so good luck with it (y)

These threads all hold a similar theme........side 1 has an opinion and side 2 has an opinion, both don't agree and then proceed to try and change each others mind. This then leads to a heated debate with nothing agreed by the conflicting sides and it then descends into borderline school playground antics.

Can you agree to disagree?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back