Dynadot

question Litigation for a Domain Name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

websoft20

Established Member
Impact
Hello!

I own .com domain that was registered in 1999, and I bought it in 2016 for 1500$.

But I do not use till now. Today I got a treat from Germany that they have a trademark in Germany (registered in 2019, but the website is under development, job board related) and they would like to sue me. What is possible to do in such a situation?

They also mentioned patent, do I violate any patents by owning the domain name?

From the trademark owner in Germany:
"
Hmm, ok, i wanted to buy it. Too bad because your name infringe on our patent rights with the domain. We own the - ***- brand. But you use the name without our permission. I want to avoid unnecessary litigation but as I said $1500 is over the top. My offer with $500 is still available.
"

---------------------------------
Also:
This domain stays parked.
The previous owner from Israel built a recruitment website there in 2010-2014, it was saved in archive-org. In 2016 he listed it in GoDaddy auction, I bought it.

Can I use this domain in future for markets other than Germany? Will probably register a TM in the US and Canada. Can archive-org be used for the proof that a domain was registered before in a good faith?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe it was
Reverse domain name hijacking (reverse cybersquatting)

I offered the "buyer" a lawsuit, asked the address where he could be served and the buyer disappeared.

Buyer is disgusting, but despite his background, I understand the motives.

I believe, he registered a TM only for the purpose of domain hijacking in future. If he owned this .com, he would have never registered TM.

Last edited:
•••
The buyer has .de domain with a similar name.

This domain was registered in 2015 and the website is still under development, during 5 years no users, no market value.

However, in 2019 he registered a trademark because he couldn't sleep knowing that someone else owns .com and could ruin his dream of world domination.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back