• .multichoice
  • .dstv
  • .gotv
  • .EMERSON
  • .FLSMIDTH
  • .DOOSAN
Registry Agreement Termination Information Page

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just to add, all of them were never available for public use, they were designed to be used only by specific companies (one extension per company) - so this is not really relevant for domainers, as it was never possible to invest in them.

If some company opens a new extension and then it decides to close it for whatever reason, this is pure internal issue of that company.

•••
Really this list, at its current state, means nothing to me but I look forward to seeing if this thread is updated in the future. Thanks Kate.

•••
Correct. That has zero impact on outsiders, that's why those terminations are so little publicized.
Nonetheless some companies wasted 6 figures on consultancy, feasibility studies, application fees, technical infrastructure or outsourced registry.
Just because they have money to spend doesn't mean they are so smart and their TLDs will succeed.
Most TLDs were apparently terminated for failure to activate them within the required time frame.

•••
meaningless info for domainers.

•••
•••
Fake News
Its not fake - the facts are there so the news is true. What people question is whether this news is relevant to aftermarket domain prices.

To me the relevance is it shows companies can spend a lot to set up one of these extensions and then just let it die. Domains in any extension can lose all value if people think the extension is in trouble, so the running and finances of the company behind an extension matter.

Last edited:
•••
The garden quickly became overgrown with alot of weeds.

Looks like the landscaper has finally arrived to start cleaning up....

•••
domainers when communicating with businesses when discussing a domain etc will probably hear a business tell the domainer that we don't need that domain because we are getting out own tld etc at which point domainer can show business list of retired tld s and cost involved in running own tld and what happens when a tld is retired etc it may work in domainers favour

•••
Exten
Its not fake - the facts are there so the news is true. What people question is whether this news is relevant to aftermarket domain prices.

To me the relevance is it shows companies can spend a lot to set up one of these extensions and then just let it die. Domains in any extension can lose all value if people think the extension is in trouble, so the running and finances of the company behind an extension matter.

These are extensions for the companies and not for the public use. Off topic.

FAKE NEWS

•••
... domainer can show business list of retired tld s and cost involved in running own tld and what happens when a tld is retired etc it may work in domainers favour
Running one's own TLD is expensive, but I think the costs could plummet in a few years. Closer to 5K than 200K for example. But many companies will still outsource registry operations. It is always going to be more expensive than renewing a bunch of .com every year. Even netsol doesn't charge more than $35/year...

Running a TLD is more than just deploying a bunch of DNS servers. You also have to make infrastructure resilient and DDOS-proof. It's like running a hosting company.

These are extensions for the companies and not for the public use. Off topic.
That's why retiring them doesn't cause any problems or controversy. But soon extensions offered to the public will be retired too. Their removal from the root zone could go unnoticed too, depending on the number of registrants affected.
Registries have no obligation to keep extensions alive forever beyond the contractual 3-year continuity plan.

•••
But soon extensions offered to the public will be retired too.

Soon... Lol...Maybe soon yes or maybe not... Who Knows...

For now your "news" is a Fake News.

FAKE NEWS

Last edited:
•••
Even the extensions that survive won't be very successful, and will prove to be awful investments.
The root zone is already littered with zombie TLDs like .tel .mobi .asia etc

Registries are struggling financially, a good number of extensions are clearly not profitable and not viable. Not hard to guess what's gonna happen. Registries are not charities and they are not running a public service. They will just pull the plug in due time like Centralnic did. They can and they will.

If I posted this, it's just in case people are still arguing that the big multi-million companies are so smart, know what they are doing, and can't fail. Reality: big companies incl. Google, MS etc kill dozens of projects every year.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe someone should lauch ngtlds.rip to keep track of extensions that were retired.

Last edited:
•••
it won't be long before Google owns the majority of registries and it won't need tl out bid anyone or pay high prices because the new registries have two choices make the registry a success or fail Google only has to sit back and wait for registries to fail and then buy them for next to nothing and add them to Googles existing registries

•••
One extension to another: Do you still work for a living or are you already retired?

•••
Google only has to sit back and wait for registries to fail and then buy them for next to nothing and add them to Googles existing registries
Provided that they can be profitable. They will not buy liabilities.
Google have been selling domain names for a few years at domains.google.com but their registrar operations have always been low-key. To me it's more an experiment (once more) than a real business.
I don't think selling domain names is hugely profitable actually. I am not sure they really want to increase their grip on that market, especially when the uptake is disappointing.

They even tried parking a few years ago and withdrew not long after.
Parking, domain names are not side activities but fully-fledged business activities.

•••
we are entering an era where tech concepts and tech ventures don't need to be profitable which is why many of the tech giants make their billions because they provide a website that provides a service without thinking about whether it is profitable or not because if the people want the service offered by the website they will visit the website in vast numbers that will attract the advertisers whose ad $ will eventually fund such concepts

the domain name industry has a lot of hurdles to overcome yet and needs Google deep pockets to provide very basic standards and reassurance to domainers and end users etc eg businesses and the like
that when they buy a domain name their are no hidden surprises down the road which currently there are in the form of udrps etc and extremely high unworkable renewal prices etc and domain name insurances etc and full instant refunds with no quibble guarantees etc all things that are not common place at the moment in the domain name industry

but would be standard practice if Google bought and ran the majority
if not all registrars and subsidized purchase and renewal fees by ad $

they could even use ad $ to buy registries and offer all domains for free and still make a profit

which could be fun lol

•••
we are entering an era where tech concepts and tech ventures don't need to be profitable which is why many of the tech giants make their billions because they provide a website that provides a service without thinking about whether it is profitable or not because if the people want the service offered by the website they will visit the website in vast numbers that will attract the advertisers whose ad $ will eventually fund such concepts

As always your "I dident go to school, dont want to learn about history and turned my brain off before commenting" insights are staggering... You ever heard of the 2000 bubble?

So we are entering a new era where companies do not have to be profitable? I would rather say we are exiting a period where SOME giant startups could get away with not making money for a prolonged period of time. Focus is much more on the bottom line than it used to be.

But you think they will make billions without being profitable.. A bit of a disconnect dont you think?

Last edited:
•••
i talk what might be classed as er futuristic waffle

i am usually way ahead of the game in tech concepts

i pre registered thebest.games before Facebook bought gameroom

i bought 0ffice.space before Facebook bought work.space

i bought sodschool.com because no knew wants to go to school but play games instead via sodschool.com

the traditional high st is decades behind the digital high st

the internet giants don't have anyone to ask

bill gates had to work out himself how to revolutionize the internet via windows himself and via co founder

who could mark zuckedberg ask on how to fun one of the worlds biggest websites etc

i have the idea then buy the .com domain - takes about 3 mins & $10

then wait for the rest to think of the same idea

the great domainers of note bought well and were 30 years ahead of the game but waiting made them millions because the best investment tool is time

•••
i talk what might be classed as er futuristic waffle

i am usually way ahead of the game in tech concepts

i pre registered thebest.games before Facebook bought gameroom

i bought 0ffice.space before Facebook bought work.space

i bought sodschool.com because no knew wants to go to school but play games instead via sodschool.com

Well we do agree on you talking Waffle. Futuristic or not.. So you are just another troll?

Waffle:To talk or write a lot without giving any useful information or any clear answers..

I think we can safely say; you are NOT ahead of the game.. And your domain names are god awful.. At least you highlight the value of education.

•••
allegedly i highlight the value of education?

i personally think if 11 years of school can't get a person a decent job on a decent wage without having to waste yet more years and even more money and leave too many people starting their working life heavily in debt just to get a decent job on decent money and many in long term debt - if that's the best that education can do an online school won't be far away

•••
Yes, you highlight the value of education by being a banner holder for non education and sounding as daft as a piece of cardboard. In this way you make much more of a case for being schooled than anyone else could have done.

Education is a way of tapping into the heap of knowledge the people that came before you amassed. You could call it the mythos of man (Thats from Robert Pirsig, not my own idea). If you believe that you are better of relying solely on the experience you can rack up, then I would flat out tell you that you are wrong. You dont have to make all the same mistakes as other people did...

•••
interesting reading

although can't remember reading anywhere that says domain name investors have to be educated to degree standard?

i must have missed that thread

although it must be said i do enjoy buying legal domain names for reg fee obviously ( being ahead of the game) lol

•••
•••
Back