• .multichoice
  • .dstv
  • .gotv
  • .EMERSON
  • .FLSMIDTH
  • .DOOSAN
Registry Agreement Termination Information Page

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What were they thinking in the first place?
All extensions from this list look like they were DOA.

•••
...that were never live.

•••
One more bites the dust: .orientexpress
Unfortunately I cannot update the original post.
So here is the updated list:
  • .mtpc
  • .theguardian
  • .dwg
  • xn--4gq48lf9j (Wal-Mart)
  • .iinet
  • .mutuelle
  • .naspers
  • .payu
  • .supersport
  • .mzansimagic
  • .mnet
  • .kyknet
  • .africamagic
  • .multichoice
  • .dstv
  • .gotv
  • .EMERSON
  • .FLSMIDTH
  • .DOOSAN
  • .orientexpress

•••
yes i agree that these extensions have no relation to many domainers as they are specific domain extensions

•••
But they were never live were they? There could be a million reasons why someone apllies for a new domain then doesn't follow it through. In itself, I don't think it means much.

•••
•••
but would be standard practice if Google bought and ran the majority
if not all registrars and subsidized purchase and renewal fees by ad $

they could even use ad $ to buy registries and offer all domains for free and still make a profit

which could be fun lol

If a couple of big players emerge from the new domain extension race who own hundreds or thousands of new gTLDs, the operating costs will be proportionally smaller. Who knows - maybe two big players share their infrastructure like with mobile phone networks or ATMs.

Plus new technologies are always expensive in the beginning but then the costs tend to decrease a lot as the necessary legal procedures, hardware and software become more efficient and cheaper.

Also, with big companies not everything is targeted at making money directly but rather gaining a foothold in a new business field or increasing the existing market share and leverage.

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
But they were never live were they? There could be a million reasons why someone apllies for a new domain then doesn't follow it through. In itself, I don't think it means much.

These extensions do not matter as they were never available to someone outside the company. That was just a CEO having a budget surplus near the end of the year and thinks their company's own gTLD would be a good idea. The next year it's being cancelled as not necessary and too cost intensive by a new CEO.

Thanks,
Brandon :astronaut:

•••
If a couple of big players emerge from the new domain extension race who own hundreds or thousands of new gTLDs, the operating costs will be proportionally smaller. Who knows - maybe two big players share their infrastructure like with mobile phone networks or ATMs.

Plus new technologies are always expensive in the beginning but then the costs tend to decrease a lot as the necessary legal procedures, hardware and software become more efficient and cheaper.

Also, with big companies not everything is targeted at making money directly but rather gaining a foothold in a new business field or increasing the existing market share and leverage.

Thanks,
Brandon

Exactly

But costs are only costs if a company cannot subsidise them and in that case they would have to pass on those costs to the consumer etc but someone like the big G can almost buy every gtld and almost offer all domain names free and still make a fortune from offering free domain names - the impossible is no longer impossible

•••
I should check the dates on posts before replying...

Last edited:
•••
I forgot off topic still existed - socialmedia

•••
The funniest part - ntld speculators say .bmw and .barclays are great for new extensions since companies are willing to branch out from .com...But the dozens that failed "have nothing to do with domainers"

Confirmation bias at its best.

If you have to ignore the state of few sales, plummeting renewals, rising renewal costs, and failing extensions to stay confident in nTLDs, then i suppose nothing can sway people from wasting their money on these

•••
2 more TLDs are being retired:
  • .chloe
  • .montblanc
I can't update the original post so here is the updated list:
  • .mtpc
  • .theguardian
  • .dwg
  • .iinet
  • .mutuelle
  • .naspers
  • .payu
  • .supersport
  • .mzansimagic
  • .mnet
  • .kyknet
  • .africamagic
  • .multichoice
  • .dstv
  • .gotv
  • .EMERSON
  • .FLSMIDTH
  • .DOOSAN
  • .chloe
  • .montblanc
Source: Registry Agreement Termination Information Page

•••
2 more TLDs are being retired:
  • .chloe
  • .montblanc
I can't update the original post so here is the updated list:
  • .mtpc
  • .theguardian
  • .dwg
  • .iinet
  • .mutuelle
  • .naspers
  • .payu
  • .supersport
  • .mzansimagic
  • .mnet
  • .kyknet
  • .africamagic
  • .multichoice
  • .dstv
  • .gotv
  • .EMERSON
  • .FLSMIDTH
  • .DOOSAN
  • .chloe
  • .montblanc
Source: Registry Agreement Termination Information Page
What does it tells you?

•••
Honest opinions, no reason to write this thread ... Waste of time ...
Has anybody honestly heard of any of these ? Lol, with that being said, there are some dying extensions people know about; why don't you write about those ...

;)

•••
Damn, shouldn't have renewed my 3L chip .chloes...

•••
You've always got to be careful with this dot Brand "analysis" stuff. The dot brand gTLDs are a different class to ordinary new gTLDs and many of them were me-too ideas that never got off the ground. At the time the whole new gTLD thing kicked off, there was an artificial scarcity of domain names caused by Domain Tasting and many large brand names were being tasted by some of the less reputable Domain Tasters. Brand gTLDs were considered to be a kind of answer to this problem. However, when ICANN was shamed into reducing Domain Tasting with a "restocking fee", much of the demand for such brand gTLDs disappeared.

There are some new gTLDs that are little more than Potemkin Villages at this stage.

As for the hope that Google would take over some of the failing registries and gTLDs, Google isn't capable of running a gTLD in the same way as it isn't capable of running a Facebook-beating Social Media network..

Regards...jmcc

•••
What does it tells you?
Not much, I am wondering how many of those companies were conned by global branding firms that told them that they needed their own TLD to lead in cyberspace. Evidently, those companies changed their mind. Not to mention the many others that have yet to use their extensions for anything remotely meaningful.
I find it pretty shocking, but companies, like government, waste big sums of money all the time on dubious projects and failed experiments.

•••
•••
•••
Any update on the .BUZZ sale? Did it happen?

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back