IT.COM

Let users moderate their own threads

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

My problem is that, I open a thread and people come and post some unrelated things. I would like to be able to clean up my own threads.

What is wrong with that? It would make things much easier. There would be less arguments. I think it would work just fine. It would ease the job of moderators. This is not limiting their job. They can still continue doing what they do. Self moderation would be an addition to the current system.

You might say users should be able to have a discussion in other people's threads even if they say something the thread started doesn't agree with. That's true but people can look who the thread starter is before posting and if it is somebody who can't stand any discussion you wouldn't post in his thread.

I think the majority of users would like to have this feature.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've always been supporting this idea. IMO an even better idea would be giving this ability only to members fulfilling some requirements (a minimum threshold of reputation points and post number combined might be a parameter).

•••
•••
Hi,

My problem is that, I open a thread and people come and post some unrelated things. I would like to be able to clean up my own threads.

What is wrong with that? It would make things much easier. There would be less arguments. I think it would work just fine. It would ease the job of moderators. This is not limiting their job. They can still continue doing what they do. Self moderation would be an addition to the current system.

You might say users should be able to have a discussion in other people's threads even if they say something the thread started doesn't agree with. That's true but people can look who the thread starter is before posting and if it is somebody who can't stand any discussion you wouldn't post in his thread.

I think the majority of users would like to have this feature.

i can see the immature and irrationals erasing and editing all comments from members who don't share their viewpoints.

thus all threads would be biased towards the OP or risk moderation aka censorship

who would enjoy reading or learn anything in that type of scenerio

it would be like watching fox news

•••
Really Really bad idea imo.

Infact that would make more work for mods..

*hey he/she deleted my post

*hey he/she amended my post

We would have to mod what was being mod'ed

:rolleyes:

Maybe basic things like title changes etc would be ok as yes this would save us time :tu:

Last edited:
•••
Maybe basic things like title changes etc would be ok as yes this would save us time :tu:
Exactly. Basic tasks like editing your own thread's title and closing it. This would be particularly interesting in the 'Marketplace' section.

•••
I don't think it's a good idea. This is in fact contrary to the very spirit of a public forum.

•••
OK, how about this:

Let's say there are some threads that are clearly marked as self moderated and you need to pay some NP$ to open such threads.

On this page you can purchase sticky threads:
http://www.namepros.com/npshop.php

Why not add an option to purchase self moderated threads for let's say 100 NP$ ?

This way the majority of threads would remain as they are. However you would be able to open important threads as self moderated. People who post in those threads would be aware of their status. In the meantime this would create some extra income for namepros. Moderators would still have control over self moderated threads like any other thread. However messages deleted by the original poster wouldn't be possible to recover by moderators.

For instance if you want to open an important sales thread you don't want people posting useless messages in it. Isn't that so?

~mm~'s suggestion of title changes is a good one too.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with this, but only for the marketplace sections like make offer / fixed price, not auctions.

Once you start a thread for discussion, that should be free and fair within the parameters of the site rules and the mod team does a fairly good job of moderating those.

Just my 0.02

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back