IT.COM

discuss Kind of first real bigger offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
So I have sold a few domains, so it isn't the literal first! I would say it is one of the first real major offers to come through @toughdomains.

It was for ride oakland dot com. The offer came in for $75. I emailed him back after doing a little research. I was a little more long winded than you would have been. I let him know we weren't too close in expectations.

Nothing . . .

I followed up . . .

Lots of dialogue . . . I asked $2495. He let me know we were not close still! He ended up offering a few hundred. I let him know that $1000 was the least I would take from him. I gave him a bunch of reasons why!

No deal!

Good experience though!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Next time make it brief and pleasant state your desired price and thank them for their interest-- this sounds kind of basic but simply make the lowest offer on your pages the lowest you are willing to sell it for.

I don't know how your pages are set up but maybe they are too open ended and encourage the lowball offers. Also changing the price twice looks like desperation.
I will update my pages with lowest I'm willing to accept. That is a good suggestion for my make an offer domains!!

•••
I want to absolutely acknowledge I am living between the tension of just having received my best and only offer ever AND a better offer coming along! You all are absolutely correct. Here are some factors that influenced my decision not to sell for a few hundred dollars:

Riding in Oakland is big business.
Oakland is super rider friendly.
The next part will be rejected as valid by ALL of you, I like the name and see inherent value in it. I simply don't want to give it away. I actually have an exit plan from domaining if domaining simply doesn't work for me. In the exit plan I do NOT liquidate every domain I have. No I renew some names and keep them ready for sale while liquidating/dropping the rest. This is a name I'd renew.
It was my first offer for it.
The guy who made the offer works with stealth startups.

I don't expect many of you to understand my rationale or even agree with it. Many of you are more much more pragmatic than me:) Yet here I am.

•••
I nearly took a series of flying lessons in Oakland. I ended up as a ski bum in Tahoe instead - almost the same thing. :)

•••
•••
Just stick with your price, if they need this name they will come even after one month.

•••
I get offers on my premium domains a lot but not nearly as often on my 2nd tier domains. Ive always been more of a collector and most of my 2nd tier domains were hand registered in 1999.

I got interest on a 2nd tier domain the other week. Figured I was never going to use it and might as well give a price on it. I think I said $4K. Broker said that high $XXX was as high as buyer wanted to go and they would see. Never heard back.

Thought it was odd that a broker would take on a project for $XXX budget.

After thinking about it perhaps I shouldve gone with a lower $2K price because Im really not going to use it and probably wont get another offer on that domain for another year or two at least. But I think it also really depends upon the domain. This was pretty specialized and it was a product domain, but the product is very low priced. So not much margin in that business. Its something I consider when valuing domains, especially product/service related domains.

•••
I think in terms of negotiations what would have been best is when he offered $75 and I countered $2495 when he said he could only do a few hundred I probably should have either thanked him for his time and said something like let me know if your budget changes OR tried to build value again. I'm thinking the thanking him for his time would have been better given my experience!!

first I don't think its a very valuable domain
so I would have asked for like $1500 USD

when he comes with a high 3 fig offer
you could spilt the difference

and you have a solid sale

•••
•••
I will update my pages with lowest I'm willing to accept. That is a good suggestion for my make an offer domains!!

no way !

they always want it cheaper
no matter what price you ask for

•••
Here are some factors that influenced my decision not to sell for a few hundred dollars:

You do know that there is an established business called Ride Oakland Cyclery, right? The company has 12 spin instructors- that is not a small operation. Also, on their website they refer to themselves as Ride or Ride Oakland; smartly they dropped the "cyclery," which is a word most people have never written in their life.

Have you reached out to them?

•••
You do know that there is an established business called Ride Oakland Cyclery, right? The company has 12 spin instructors- that is not a small operation. Also, on their website they refer to themselves as Ride or Ride Oakland; smartly they dropped the "cyclery," which is a word most people have never written in their life.

Have you reached out to them?

It is funny you mentioned this. I have gotten a few PMs suggesting I do the same thing! It is very encouraging for me to see/hear this from so many of you! I ran a bunch of errands today, I go back to school Wednesday. Clearly reaching out to them again will hopefully be more fruitful than having my Visa declined at Costco. Lol, who knew that Costco did not accept Mastercard or American Express credit cards:( Anyways, this is on my to do list tomorrow!

•••
Yeah, if this is not a direct inquiry from rideoaklandcyclying.com it would be surprising..

Maybe they come back, maybe they don't...

Instinct tells me they probably don't as this is a small business owner who just has this one location and doesn't really need national recognition of an easier to remember domain.

•••
Yeah, if this is not a direct inquiry from rideoaklandcyclying.com it would be surprising..

Maybe they come back, maybe they don't...

Instinct tells me they probably don't as this is a small business owner who just has this one location and doesn't really need national recognition of an easier to remember domain.
I do agree for the most part . . . funny thing is they are rideoakland for all intents and purposes. I think biking is big enough in oakland that other opportunities will come along . . . I hope!

•••
Great domain I also advise the waiting game.

•••
Am I missing something, or is cyclying a typo with the second "y"?

•••
•••
Lots of dialogue . . . I asked $2495. He let me know we were not close still! He ended up offering a few hundred. I let him know that $1000 was the least I would take from him. I gave him a bunch of reasons why!

I think in this case it's worth dropping to $999 .... something about a shorter number, only a $1 difference but visually changes things, just food for thought

•••
I want to absolutely acknowledge I am living between the tension of just having received my best and only offer ever AND a better offer coming along! You all are absolutely correct. Here are some factors that influenced my decision not to sell for a few hundred dollars:

The next part will be rejected as valid by ALL of you, I like the name and see inherent value in it. I simply don't want to give it away. I actually have an exit plan from domaining if domaining simply doesn't work for me. In the exit plan I do NOT liquidate every domain I have. No I renew some names and keep them ready for sale while liquidating/dropping the rest. This is a name I'd renew.
It was my first offer for it.
The guy who made the offer works with stealth startups.

I don't expect many of you to understand my rationale or even agree with it. Many of you are more much more pragmatic than me:) Yet here I am.

rule #86 dont fall in love with your domain after an offer.
combine that with rule
#56 the next name you buy should be better than your best name
and you will be on your way to owning stud.com
(a domainking name) he is willing to part with it for 750k

•••
Maybe we want to discuss your 100 rules ..

rule #86 dont fall in love with your domain after an offer.
combine that with rule
#56 the next name you buy should be better than your best name
and you will be on your way to owning stud.com
(a domainking name) he is willing to part with it for 750k

•••
•••
toss a logo up on that lander lower the price to 1995....he will come back...

•••
If you're willing to make a large first counter-offer, always be willing to hold somewhat steady with it; you've already anchored it at that point :)

•••
who me? nah look to the left....do you see pro next to my name? I leave advice to the pros...
To define rules
May help all of us

To be strategically more clear and precise

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back