Dynadot

Keep it or sell it

NameSilo
Watch

Sophia Alice

Brandsiro TeamTop Member
Impact
Hi

i have a domain web hosting forums dot com and i purchased it for around 570 $ on godaddy auctions few years back

my intention was to develop it to a fully active forum with hosting related topics , but due to time factor i was unable to do

the domain is 20+ years old , previously used by web hosting talk , has high search volume and cpc for keyword and adsense approved as well

so what you guys think .. keep it or sell it ...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Impossible to tell without knowing the name, we would be guessing.

•••
•••
I would develop it. You know once you developed something and it's start getting good traffic than you all set. Now count the money every months.

Screenshot_2020-03-07-16-52-06-771_com.google.android.apps.ads.publisher.jpg

•••
If its my domain , I would keep and develope it to attract traffic . Alternatively , sell for high price based your feeling

•••
Since it is on the bottom of the first page of Google (which is great!), if you have the time, I would keep it until you can push it a little higher and then pitch it to (internet brands dot com). If you don't have time, pay someone else to contribute daily. Get someone on upwork for $10-$15 per hour for 1-2 hours per day.

Commit to a 12 month plan to sell it and do something like this:
  • Post in multiple forums answering questions each day to avoid there being no activity in areas of the site
  • Reach out to small hosting startups and tell them you are on the first page of google and they can get some free exposure.
  • Answer at least 2-3 questions per week on Quora (with links to your site) and other similar sites with links back to your site
  • Make an attempt to invest in some advertising to bring additional new visitors, even if it is only a few hundred dollars a month.
  • Add the site to your signature at GoDaddy (if acceptable) and your signature in other forums (maybe here?).
  • Post regularly here or other places where people are asking the best prices on hosting and dedicated servers and give some advice.
  • Create a cj dot com account and add affiliate links to all the highest paying hosting companies throughout your site to see how much income potential there is in hosting. It is historically one of the highest paying affiliate categories.
They seem to not disclose the purchase prices, but a company acquired internet brands dot com in 2014 for $1.1 Billion. The company who owned it before paid $640 million in 2010. So I would spend a couple days researching how many sites they own and the average alexa ranking on each.

Here's your current alexa ranking:
upload_2020-3-7_20-28-32.png

Here is one of the sites they purchased, rc tech dot net. You should try to get your site closer to this ranking.
upload_2020-3-7_20-28-47.png

The main issue you are going to face is the sites they own typically have 200k-400k members. You can get creative and do some type of hosting giveaways on twitter (or here?) every couple weeks with the condition being that you have to be a forum member in order to boost signups.

If you can get your alexa ranking around the 150,000 mark, I would then approach them to check their interest level. If you can build your user-base successfully, I would put some stats emphasizing how many signups in the last x number of weeks or months because your overall member number will likely not be significant enough within 12 months.

Selling to a company like this I would think you could get $100k+ for the site, especially if you can improve your position on Google and have a good trend in signups. But do your research and try to get indications of what amounts other forums have sold to large companies for if you can't find the dollar amounts this buyer has paid. You may be able to get clues from prior owners by contacting them and asking if $xxxk is a good figure for selling a popular forum, and see if you can get a nod from them.

Last edited:
•••
I would toss it in my pile of webmaster related names. Eventually sell it that is what we are here for,

Last edited:
•••
Keep it!
I would spend money to help me develop, and then I would attract fans to join the discussion team on FB and twitter.
Everything else will start here.

•••
Since it is on the bottom of the first page of Google (which is great!), if you have the time, I would keep it until you can push it a little higher and then pitch it to (internet brands dot com). If you don't have time, pay someone else to contribute daily. Get someone on upwork for $10-$15 per hour for 1-2 hours per day.

Commit to a 12 month plan to sell it and do something like this:
  • Post in multiple forums answering questions each day to avoid there being no activity in areas of the site
  • Reach out to small hosting startups and tell them you are on the first page of google and they can get some free exposure.
  • Answer at least 2-3 questions per week on Quora (with links to your site) and other similar sites with links back to your site
  • Make an attempt to invest in some advertising to bring additional new visitors, even if it is only a few hundred dollars a month.
  • Add the site to your signature at GoDaddy (if acceptable) and your signature in other forums (maybe here?).
  • Post regularly here or other places where people are asking the best prices on hosting and dedicated servers and give some advice.
  • Create a cj dot com account and add affiliate links to all the highest paying hosting companies throughout your site to see how much income potential there is in hosting. It is historically one of the highest paying affiliate categories.
They seem to not disclose the purchase prices, but a company acquired internet brands dot com in 2014 for $1.1 Billion. The company who owned it before paid $640 million in 2010. So I would spend a couple days researching how many sites they own and the average alexa ranking on each.

Here's your current alexa ranking:
Show attachment 146970

Here is one of the sites they purchased, rc tech dot net. You should try to get your site closer to this ranking.
Show attachment 146971

The main issue you are going to face is the sites they own typically have 200k-400k members. You can get creative and do some type of hosting giveaways on twitter (or here?) every couple weeks with the condition being that you have to be a forum member in order to boost signups.

If you can get your alexa ranking around the 150,000 mark, I would then approach them to check their interest level. If you can build your user-base successfully, I would put some stats emphasizing how many signups in the last x number of weeks or months because your overall member number will likely not be significant enough within 12 months.

Selling to a company like this I would think you could get $100k+ for the site, especially if you can improve your position on Google and have a good trend in signups. But do your research and try to get indications of what amounts other forums have sold to large companies for if you can't find the dollar amounts this buyer has paid. You may be able to get clues from prior owners by contacting them and asking if $xxxk is a good figure for selling a popular forum, and see if you can get a nod from them.

wow .. i am impressed and thank you very much for the inputs and motivation ... Thank you again

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back