IT.COM

Just Bought UBER.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tinydomainmonster

Impact
Hi everyone,

I just bought the domain name UBER.com at Afternic.com for $200 buy now price and my credit card was charged.

The seller approved the sale almost instantly and the status changed to Escrow/Transfer.

What do you think happens now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am sure the multi-billion dollar company will transfer the domain to you tomorrow :)

You will end up getting a refund.

Brad

•••
I think you'll realize something is wrong.

•••
•••
That would be a sale of the month :rolleyes:

•••
You got taken for a "uber" ride.

•••
did you check in case you bought an IDN?

other than that, since you used Afternic, at least you'll get a refund :) (if it's not some kind of IDN that is)

•••
That reminds me. A few years ago I bought Banana.com for $2,000 USD if I remember correctly. Turned out to be a mistake as well and my credit card wasn't charged ;)

•••
did you check in case you bought an IDN?

other than that, since you used Afternic, at least you'll get a refund :) (if it's not some kind of IDN that is)

How do I check that?

I did copy paste the domain as is into google search box and no special characters showed up.

•••
That reminds me. A few years ago I bought Banana.com for $2,000 USD if I remember correctly. Turned out to be a mistake as well and my credit card wasn't charged ;)

My card was charged, I paid using paypal.

I wonder if this is similar to the google.com case, where someone had bought google.com and the card was charged and google paid him $12,000. Can't paste links so you'd have to google the story.

•••
•••
•••
My card was charged, I paid using paypal.

I wonder if this is similar to the google.com case, where someone had bought google.com and the card was charged and google paid him $12,000. Can't paste links so you'd have to google the story.
I doubt you'll get money out of this (other than a refund of course). Afternic isn't Google :(

•••
How do I check that?

I did copy paste the domain as is into google search box and no special characters showed up.

then, most probably, you'll get a refund
as I said, consider yourself lucky that you bought it using a trusted vendor :)

•••
I doubt you'll get money out of this (other than a refund of course). Afternic isn't Google :(

Maybe Afternic or Uber is reading this thread and wants that CNN interview? :xf.wink:

(I'm fine with one of the other domains they got for sale) :xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
Trademark, drop asap!

seriously thou, someone the other day purchased hi.com for 20 bucks on some other platform.

•••
Maybe you'll get a seat at the management board as compensation :)

•••
Maybe you'll get a seat at the management board as compensation :)
The seat might be in an electric car with a faulty seat :(

•••
Really want to see how this turns out.. Idn or mistake. Obviously zero chance you got one of the biggest four letter domains in the world so I wonder why you wasted such time and effort.

•••
Really want to see how this turns out.. Idn or mistake. Obviously zero chance you got one of the biggest four letter domains in the world so I wonder why you wasted such time and effort.
given everybody uses the app and few go to the site maybe uber decided to just sell it for 200 bucks so they can reinvest in their business, after all the 5 quadzillion dollars they raised so far might not be enough

•••
You will probably find the seller is an NP member well known for such sales of names that aren't what they look like. :alien2:

•••
Not a waste of time. Makes for a good thread, and we see this is not the only member this has happened to.
See below.

You will probably find the seller is an NP member well known for such sales of names that aren't what they look like. :alien2:
Perhaps ;)

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
So, I got a refund from Afternic... but I almost had it :P

-
To: Buyer
Domain: uber.com

--

Hello, Thank you for your purchase of this domain. Unfortunately, the seller has just confirmed with us that they do not own this domain. We apologize for the inconvenience but are forced to cancel this transaction and refund you for your purchase. Your refund will appear on your credit card statement within 7-10 days. We have taken action against the seller and suspended them from our services. I apologize that this sale was not a success for you. Best Regards, Wankelley Medina Escrow Support Rep

--

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back