NameSilo

Josh Reason's Domain Name Wholesale Exchange DNWE Marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
The core concept is to move domain “liquidation” out of the forums and into a simple, easy to use platform with domain quality control and price control.

The platform is purposely exclusive to domain investors so that you can keep wholesale and retail prices completely separate at the same time. Example: Gamers (.co) Lander/Afternic - $20,000. DNWE - $1,285.

Sellers are charged 9% with all associated fees baked into the price.

NP @Josh R

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 22.38.30.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The buyers will pay this commission eventually. The sellers will include the commission in their prices, and then eventually the buyers will bear this cost.

"doing absolutely nothing" - no, it's a good idea to create a private marketplace for wholesale acquisitions, where you can see the prices and buy the domain outright and you can browse the marketplace using filters, see the metrics such as extension, number of other extensions taken, length, exclude hyphens and numbers etc. Providing data, bringing together the supply and demand side, why is it "absolutely nothing"? Have you used this platform before?
12% total commission on names you are liquidating is too much. You would do better just to leave them on Afternic for full exposure. You can pay less at most registrars in house. You pay zero here to reply to requests. I’ve sold domains with no commission in domainer groups and on apps.

The more fair way would have been to split that fee between buyer and seller right down the middle.

This “private” thing does someone announce your sales with a megaphone because they don’t mine. I can privately sell many places without paying 12%.

•••
Excellent, will check it out.

•••
... AND ...
Didn't take long for someone (NP member) to reg. DomainNameWholesaleExchange.com
(2020-02-12 @ 16:37:47)

For sale @ DAN :facepalm:

Last edited:
•••
Great looking site, I also signed up and hope to participate! Anything that can bring the market some added liquidity is a win in my mind. The 9% commission is frictionless. Ideally there will be listings above $1k and below $10k to target other investors in that liquid market. Did you intend for this to be a market where retail buyers come in as wholesale buyers, Josh?

•••
Great looking site, I also signed up and hope to participate! Anything that can bring the market some added liquidity is a win in my mind. The 9% commission is frictionless. Ideally there will be listings above $1k and below $10k to target other investors in that liquid market. Did you intend for this to be a market where retail buyers come in as wholesale buyers, Josh?

I believe I saw a tweet that Josh wants it exclusive to domain investors.

Josh R

@DailyDomaining

The platform is purposely exclusive to domain investors so that you can keep wholesale and retail prices completely separate at the same time.
Example: http://Gamers.co Lander/Afternic - $20,000.
DNWE - $1,285.

https://twitter.com/DailyDomaining/status/1227444822509858816
https://help.twitter.com/using-twitter/how-to-tweet#source-labels

Last edited:
•••
Anything promoting the "wholesale" concept is eventually going to lead to more people unwilling to pay above "wholesale" level.

– Hey, I want to upgrade my business domain name to XXXXZZZZ.com and its for sale at GoDaddy for $15000. Do you think I should buy it?
– Don't buy it there! These scumbags squatters take your for a fool. It can be bought for $1500 at DNWE.com.

Having said that, as a buyer I see a great opportunity in it. Also the site looks neat and very well made. Kudos to J. R.
It's for domainers
I believe I saw a tweet that Josh wants it exclusive to domain investors.

Josh R

@DailyDomaining

The platform is purposely exclusive to domain investors so that you can keep wholesale and retail prices completely separate at the same time.
Example: http://Gamers.co Lander/Afternic - $20,000.
DNWE - $1,285.

https://twitter.com/DailyDomaining/status/1227444822509858816

Last edited:
•••
exclusive to domainers. good idea!

the owners of namepros should be ver very afraid. josh eat their lunch. the whole idea of using a forum to sell domains whole sale is silly. everything visible to google here but not at dnwe.

•••
A marketplace exclusive to domainers. How many domainers are there? If you got 100% participation from domainers, how big is that market?

•••
•••
+/- 50k
[ not counting CAG folks (come and go) ]
You think it's that high on a consistent basis? I would presume there would be much more activity at conferences, in forum, in blogs if the number was anywhere near that high on a consistent basis.

It was mentioned that there was about 1000 attendees at Namescon. That number includes the companies that offer product and services, but don't necessarily "domain" on a regular basis.

If we had anywhere near 50k on a regular basis the forum, blogs and conferences would be popping large.

•••
You think it's that high on a consistent basis? I would presume there would be much more activity at conferences, in forum, in blogs if the number was anywhere near that high on a consistent basis.

It was mentioned that there was about 1000 attendees at Namescon. That number includes the companies that offer product and services, but don't necessarily "domain" on a regular basis.

If we had anywhere near 50k on a regular basis the forum, blogs and conferences would be popping large.

The number of 50k is based on active portfolios (liquid: reg/buy & sell - 2017-Q3 2019). Blogs & Forums (in english); in reality there are more readers vs contributors (1:10.000+). Regarding "domainer" related conferences/events ... what makes them important? I attend Tech/Internet/AI/DNS events every year and I've found the NC or ex Domaining Europe more or less exhibition based. You'll benefit more from the Web Summit and The Next Web, IT & Tech, DNS, IoT, AI events or pro meetings s.a. Asheville. There are different types of gatherings/small events related to DN/DNS around the world.

Regards

•••
•••
My application has been declined and given the reason as below to which has puzzled me.

"Unfortunately we have not been able to approve your registration application.
A common reason for declining an application is if we are unable to associate the applicant with domain names that fit our platform criteria.Team DNWE"

During registration, only two domains were asked to submit and that too solely for verification purposes.
It didn't say at all that only domains that fit into criteria will be allow to join in the community.
So I just randomly submitted two.

Show attachment 145482

@Josh R do you mind provide some clarification? As a domainer, I would love to be part of this community.
I’ll look into it.

Please send an email to [email protected] with some of the better names in your portfolio.

•••
•••
I can't login and no error message is displayed.

•••
Can I register just as a potential buyer? Do the 2 domains I use to register automatically get listed?

•••
Definitely need Paypal or similar,Escrow.com is a PIA especially for low value sales where it becomes expensive with fund disbursement.

•••
Not a fan of the approval process. Seems very inconsistent. I get one 4l approved for 299 and others outright rejected that were imo better than the one approved. I've seen names listed for 999 that seem questionable at best and one words that I'd pay 5-10k more (assuming I had the cash).

I'm left feeling its a waste of my time to even try listing anything there with the inconsistent at best approval process. There needs to be a more objective process before i'd consider trying again. If you have some objective criteria for a given price range to take the guess work out of it then I would see the value in listing names as is its feels like playing the lottery.
Had 5 accepted sold 2 , 30+ more rejected of which I have sold 2 elsewhere. It's another slightly different platform to showcase your names.

•••
@Josh R

Thanks, Josh.

I would just suggest that you add a link to the TOS to your site's footer. I understand that buyers can see some notes/warnings, etc. As a seller, I want to know that too. I was literally clicking all over and couldn't find the answers :xf.wink:

•••
@Josh R

Thanks, Josh.

I would just suggest that you add a link to the TOS to your site's footer. I understand that buyers can see some notes/warnings, etc. As a seller, I want to know that too. I was literally clicking all over and couldn't find the answers :xf.wink:
Will implement that feedback Eugene - Thank you :)

•••
No worries, @Josh R

And I appreciate your full support in this matter :xf.wink:

•••
@Josh R Thank you for approving the account. That was quick and I appreciate it. I just wanted to let you know that this link "
Don't have an Epik Escrow Account? Sign up here , the sign up here link is going to Escrow.com not Epik.
Thanks for letting us know :)

On it.

•••
Are new members limited to only 1 domain submission per day? Cause I get error saying my approval is less than 20% and I am limited to 1 domain per day. I submitted one name only so far so I have no approval rate to compare since there is still no result.
That's a small bug on our end - That rule should only kick in after 25 submissions. Will get that fixed within 24 hours :)

•••
@Josh R any chance of getting a filter to only shown names that except a specific payment method?

For example Epik Escrow is not available in my state, so I would like a way to hide domains for sale that will only accept Epik Escrow only showing ones that will accept Escrow.com. And presumably I'm sure there are others who have the opposite problem of only being able to use Epik.

Also, any tips on submitting names? I've seen some bizarre names listed at 299-499, but I submit a one-word .io at 299 and it gets rejected. I'm quite puzzled. The only 2 names I have ever gotten to get accepted were at 299 which there's just no way I would accept that little for them so I deleted them instead of completing the listing.
Hi Ryan -

We will look to add a payment method filter. That makes sense to me.

I'll loop in @jstenn13 on the submission tips. He tackles 99% of our submissions at the moment.

I think he does a fantastic job at curating the marketplace and he's always happy to help users with questions around the approval criteria and process.

Josh R

•••
I recently purchased by first domain on DNWE - a 1999 two-word .COM that's specific to an industry, but is a category killer for the businesses in that industry. It's clearly one the seller was looking to get rid of, but I was more than happy to snap it up (it's 19 characters and was recently expired, so it might be the one you're referring to. Although this name is two words, not three).

Payment was handled via Epik, with a few emails to confirm things. The process was easy, and was over in 2 days. I think the platform can be competitive as it grows and evolves.

I've also seen some clinkers - some obscure scientific .nets and retired company names (a couple still alive with international extensions, and one seems trademark vulnerable), a 19 letter three word .com (dropped or deleted name) with the Estibot value "Very Long: Domains longer than 15 characters are not as memorable" greyed out, domains held by or procured by Drop Catch, some specialized, foreign location names, a few generic .coms with all the extensions available, and the list goes on.

The rotation moves slowly. I've not observed more than a couple of the 150 names (give or take) sell. The inventory can still be selective at 300 - 400 or up.

I've also seen a few headscratchers listed — specifically one pretty egregious typo, and a few .io and .CO that didn't seem that exciting. Nothing at all listed under "Others," which prompted me to ask Josh S. if they were accepting and planning to list .ME, .TV, or other extensions (he said they would).

One of the hardest things about launching any new marketplace is making sure there's enough supply — and you're right that when there are so few names, investors have a lot of places they could turn to instead.

As more people become aware of it, and they get more submissions, I'm sure there will be better quality and variety. I haven't submitted any names yet, but I plan to.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back