domains J.et sells for $60,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

Last June DomainHacks.com sold B.et for $100,000. Today they sold J.et for $60,000. et is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Ethiopia. The buyer looks to be Jetpack. Most people who use WordPress are familiar with Jetpack. Jetpack describes themselves as the ultimate toolkit for WordPress.
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
am i the only one who hates domain hacks? sometimes im not sure if im on the right site.

example: how do i know if tw.tr is a domain hack owned by twitter, or a phishing site? maybe its twitt.er? or is that a phishing site too? why should i keep track of all of this? why need these extra domains when i can just use twitter.com?

if they're rebranding to just j.et, then it makes more sense, but something tells me they wont its too "hacky" and jetpack is very mainstream

Last edited:
•••
@pranker I like name hacks but you have a point about security and ownership.

•••
Interesting, .et shows that you should have a minimum of 3 characters before the dot.

•••
Yes, not always hack domains look good, but I like the functionality in them, especially 3-5 characters. Creates user-friendliness for input and is easy to remember.

•••
Interesting, .et shows that you should have a minimum of 3 characters before the dot.
It's a legacy domain registered before the new policy on min. character was put in place.

•••
what if the registry will ban one letter domains?

•••
•••
am i the only one who hates domain hacks? sometimes im not sure if im on the right site.

example: how do i know if tw.tr is a domain hack owned by twitter, or a phishing site? maybe its twitt.er? or is that a phishing site too? why should i keep track of all of this? why need these extra domains when i can just use twitter.com?

if they're rebranding to just j.et, then it makes more sense, but something tells me they wont its too "hacky" and jetpack is very mainstream

Don't worry, if you hate domain hacks then you're definitely on the right website, and you're not the only one who hates domain hacks either, as practically everyone who is "invested" in .com hates them too...

The reason for this hate is obvious. Domain hacks are the direct opposite of .com, in every possible way, and so when you guys see a hack that has sold for a good amount you instantly think it's a vote that's been taken away from .com and you start to get scared.

Think about it... If .com genuinely had value wouldn't you feel secure about that extension and be able to ignore whatever else is going on in the domaining world?!...

So your fears are perfectly understandable, and I, like you, have grave concerns about .com...

As for your outrageous suggestion, however, that domain hacks are closely aligned with (and may indeed be!) phishing sites, nothing could be further from the truth. In reality, I strongly suspect it's .com that is responsible for most phishing attacks!

•••
•••
•••
You should ask Twitter. They own:

twi.tt
twe.et
twittterstat.us
and even p.ie

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back