IT.COM

It's official - ICANN approved .ASIA

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
In Wednesday's meeting, ICANN officially approved the .ASIA TLD

sTLD Agreement with .ASIA (DotAsia Organisation Limited)

Whereas, on 4 December 5, 2005, the board authorized the President and General Counsel to enter into negotiations relating to proposed commercial and technical terms for the .ASIA sponsored top-level domain (sTLD) with the applicant, DotAsia Organisation Limited,

Whereas, on 18 July, 2006, ICANN announced that negotiations with the applicant for the .ASIA sponsored top-level domain had been successfully completed, and posted the proposed .ASIA sponsored TLD registry agreement on the ICANN website,

Whereas, the Board has determined that approval of the agreement, and delegation of a .ASIA sponsored top-level domain to DotAsia Organisation Limited would be beneficial for ICANN and the Internet community,

Resolved (06.___), the proposed agreement with DotAsia Organisation Limited concerning the .ASIA sTLD is approved, and the President is authorized to take such actions as appropriate to implement the agreement.
http://www.icann.org/minutes/resolutions-18oct06.htm

The registry managing it will be DotAsia
http://www.dotasia.org/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
TM holders should be VERY concerned.

Are there trademarks other than the business's , like Sony , Toyota, BSNL, so on ?

•••
TM holders should be VERY concerned.

Are there trademarks other than the business's , like Sony , Toyota, BSNL, so on ?

•••
wot said:
Do you really think that any ordinary person / company in Asia that does not have a tm will be able to register a .asia name. Of course not , they will go the same way as .eu , .mobi - the "domain gang" of dodgy registrars , grey tm's and shelf companies.

Nor sure about your "chinese nations" - do you mean China , Taiwan - or some other ones?
Like i said in my post its dependent on them handling the landrush much better than .eu.

•••
When does ICann introduce the numbered TLD's. After all, there is a finite number of countries,continents,islands,and cities to exploit with new tld's and a mad rush of registrations.

•••
a 4-lettered TLD is just too long... imho :(

•••
omg, this one is gonna be a complete dud IMO.

•••
•••
Lasher said:
Personally I'd like to see all CCTLD countries get more aggressive with their nexus requirements and really push those instead. I don't register .UK or .CA domains, much as I'd like to, because I don't meet the requirements, but every other .US domain I look at is registered overseas. Do some of them have a valid US business presence? Probably .. but no way I'm buying they all do.

Well I doubt most of them care, because they allow registrars to blatantly bypass the nexus requirements. For example.. If you're looking to register a .jp domain, which requires local presence, you can easily find a registrar that offers to take care of the local presence issue for you...

The only real enforcement of laws/regulations in this industry is the WIPO/UDRP process for protecting IP. Other than that, its an open playing field, because there is someone or some company out there willing to break all the rules to profit.

•••
"do all the asian countries call asia, asia?"

I don't know if australia and the pacific islands do! still its better than being the newest american state!

(ohh, I am from aust. BTW)

its funny hearing all these people talk about "asia" and i realise that means me~!

•••
Silhouette said:
a 4-lettered TLD is just too long... imho :(

Am i missing something? take a look at your signature "Bazaars.mobi BIN for $650 NOW . thank you"

If you can't count .mobi is a "4-lettered TLD" and yeah i guess .info is a waste of time too right? lol

As for .Asia it's just another pointless ext - the only two that would be worth while would be Travel.asia or Tour.asia, even so it's just pointless.

And no we don't need more ext's because it is just screwing up the market - there's too many crap ext's out there now, we don't need more.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Thank you

Sin

•••
Olney said:
You can quote me on this
.Asia will never be stronger than .jp for Japanese.
The whole concept of where Asia is, is conflicting in Japan.
I quoted.
This concept "脱亚入欧" you are talking about is outdated, given the emergence of other asian countries. Japan is just going to be one of them.
But I don't doubt .Asia will never be stronger than .jp for Japanese, but only for biz within that country. Same can be said for .cn, .kr, .tw and .in etc
If they want to deal with other asian countries, they have to turn to .asia.

Last edited:
•••
derrida said:

I don't know if australia and the pacific islands do! still its better than being the newest american state!

its funny hearing all these people talk about "asia" and i realise that means me~!

Yeah, didn't you know all Australians are Asian? :)

•••
wot said:
Really needed - NOT! - with .jp , .cn , .tw , .co.in, .in , .ru , .ph , .mn etc etc - just another money maker for the boys! JMO

Exactly my feelings...Asia is too big and too diverse of a market for one extension. I think .jp, .cn, .tw, etc will continue to be the dominant extensions of the region.

Tom

•••
derrida said:

And a paltry 20 mill other aussies. Nevermind we know you aussies have identity issues.

And oh yes, I think .asia will be great . :)

Last edited:
•••
slipxaway said:
Yeah, didn't you know all Australians are Asian? :)

You all need a geography lesson. Australia is a continent itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

ICAAN for whatever reason is lumping them together. If I was an Aussie I would be pissed.

Last edited:
•••
thank you very much for this information...

•••
•••
Since when is Aussie in Asia????????

•••
adiboy said:
Since when is Aussie in Asia????????

Maybe ICANN guy failed their geography subject in their primary school?
:yell:

•••
labrocca said:
If I was an Aussie I would be pissed.

Australia is not asia.

Often the term "Australiasia" is used to name us all, but there is no way that you can throw us in with them and call us part of asia. We are our own continent, our own people.

Meh, our extension, .au, is only available in the forms of .com.au etc, and only if you either a registered business of have a trademark...

We need a .paci (pacific) extention of something
:td:

•••
Whereas, the Board has determined that approval of the agreement, and delegation of a .ASIA sponsored top-level domain to DotAsia Organisation Limited would be beneficial for ICANN and the Internet community,

cough, BS, cough. it's called supply and demand, morons. increase the supply the price goes down because the demand for domains is going to stay more or less constant with a decent growth rate. but the growth rate of the demand can't keep the prices up relative to the overabundance of these TLDs.

"Maybe they will go with .nafta ;)"
I was just thinking that! But then the anarchists would try and crash the whole tld ;).

•••
Is there an indicative date for the .Asia launch? I heard its 6-9 months.

•••
hmm.. i will pick up some .asia names i guess :)

•••
still leaves the question to be answered: english domain names, spelling and fonts for .asia that will predominantly be used in (duh) the asian area? They either start speaking english across the globe pretty quickly or we better reach out to buy some chinese, japanese, korean, vietnamese,...(you get the picture) keyboards with "how do i type for idiots - guides".

other than that, maybe i get my hands on a clean NNN.asia, ... :hehe:

•••
I think its rather pointless to create a TLD that encompasses many countries when they all speak different languages. I mean, at least with .EU, most people within those countries speak English, so it's sort of a unifying language that makes the TLD viable. I just dont think it's the same for Asian countries. Australians speak English, then you got Japanese, Chinese splits off into 2-3 seperate languages within itself, what about the philipines? I don't know, it just doesn't seem like theres anything unifying about those countries other than a general geographic proximity.

So they are creating a new TLD in an attempt to unify smaller ccTLDs under one umbrella, yet it'll still be just as fragmented and diverse.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back