IT.COM

question Is .us dead ?

NameSilo
Watch

noneisnone

444Top Member
Impact
what are the most wanted/easy to sell .us domains ? 3L / Brand able / Generic one word ?

I recently acquired a couple of one word .us but it seems like there is no interest for people holding the same name in other extensions

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
was it ever alive? I can't even remember a .us website I have used before, or passed by!

•••
There is a demand for ".us", not just for the United States. Being creative in a sense that "us" could be for social groups, people that stand for a cause..."us". Think about the word itself, to expand the scope of what it is, then add your meaning to it when you market it (just a little pointer)

•••
There is a demand for ".us", not just for the United States. Being creative in a sense that "us" could be for social groups, people that stand for a cause..."us". Think about the word itself, to expand the scope of what it is, then add your meaning to it when you market it (just a little pointer)
interesting point of view

•••
For a ccTLD to be successful it needs to get use in that country. As far as I’m aware .us has not seen that success. It doesn’t mean it won’t in the future as .com domains will continue to become harder to come by.

•••
I don’t invest or research .us personally, but I think popularity of zoom.us, in top 15 of all sites on web currently according to Moz, may well propel .us demand.
Bob

•••
•••
I don’t invest or research .us personally, but I think popularity of zoom.us, in top 15 of all sites on web currently according to Moz, may well propel .us demand.
Bob
would love an in-depth article about the subject from you bob :)

•••
•••
I sold a bunch of them.
Just don't tell anyone or the "Reseller Price" will go up.

•••
@johnn please share more what type of domains were they ?

•••
“Dead” is in the eye of the beholder but in terms of aftermarket $ share trend, dot us vs all TLDs, Namebio shows the most recent one year penetration of 0.15% slightly above the most recent five year 0.12%.

•••
Mostly LLL paid about $5-$15
Sold $500-$1,000

•••
Zoom.com disagrees
Despite paying all those $ for the .com to MediaOptions, as far as I can see they still use the .us as their principal site, Samer. They do redirect, and quite probably have future plans to switch. At the very least they have shown you can get huge despite being on a .us.
Bob

•••
1. Thread title is cynical and misleading
2. You can judge any extension by its sales stats
3. Sales stats are present and show .us is an active,
4. .US is probably not a major extension, but its growing
5. Some domainers ask if some extensions are dead primarily because their knowledge of the extension is dead.
6. .US is obviously an extension with a good investment potential.
7. .US needs time - its still maturing and growing.

•••
Short answer. No... I do well with .US sales. Less than 15% of my domains are .US, but around 25% of my offers and sales are .US.

•••
@kemjika11
ouch never dealt with .us so thought i would ask from the research i done it seems dead only 3 letter sales ^^
@Brian L.
care to share what type of names attract the most offers ?

•••
@kemjika11
ouch never dealt with .us so thought i would ask from the research i done it seems dead only 3 letter sales ^^
@Brian L.
care to share what type of names attract the most offers ?

I stick mostly with one word .US domains.

My latest sales in .US were:
Decided
Woofs
Divo
Zooms

Sales prices are much lower than a .com, but so is the acquisition cost. The renewal cost of .US domains are reasonable too.

•••
@Brian L. understandably so .com will always be king if you don't mind me asking what was the price range ?

•••
•••
•••
@Brian L. Thats gives me hope Thank you :)

It’s basically a numbers game. I can register 100 decent .US domains for the price of 1 decent .com. You’re not going to get rich with .US, but it can be a source of fairly steady revenue.

•••

yea I get where you are coming from.. I was just saying I personally haven't witnessed any decent websites running on .us as their main storefront. usually its just companies buying their brand's .whatever extension to stop traffic leaking or someone messing with their brand.
so I wasn't questioning the legitimacy of .us as much as its "liveliness" that's all.

but others have pointed out they have managed to make sales on .us domain (albeit smaller sub1K ranges, but still) so what do I know!

Last edited:
•••
•••
would love an in-depth article about the subject from you bob :)
It won't be in next few weeks, but I have put it on my long list of topics. It is worthy of a study I think. Thank you for the suggestion.
Bob

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back