IT.COM

discuss Is this the end of .org extension

NameSilo
Watch

Theanshusingh

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What "end"?

It's a "new beginning"

This is the best news imaginable.

Last edited:
•••
ICANN said wouldve forced PIR serve interest of domain-holding corporate, instead of public. Eff; β€œvictory for aid organizations, corporate watchdogs, museums, clubs, everyone public interest

Last edited:
•••
What "end"?

You misinterpret. It's a "new beginning"

What if restrictions were imposed on domain investors not to allow buy and sell without proper organisation documents?

•••
What if restrictions were imposed on domain investors not to allow buy and sell without proper organisation documents?

You mean restrictions that dont exist today?

It's common misconception .org isnt just for nonprofit, also better nonprofit have .org control, than for-profit VC, would've been bad.

Last edited:
•••
You mean restrictions that dont exist today?

It's a common misconception .org isnt just for nonprofit, Also; better nonprofit to have .org control, than for-profit VC, would've been bad.
I think soon registrar will begin asking documents before registering domain in .org extension

•••
I think soon registrar will begin asking for documents before registering domain in .org extension

That couldnt be further from the truth.

Chances are costs were going to go up, and .org be more restrictive if the big money, corporate Venture Capital interests got ownership.

@bmugford, others fought deeper than any saw, ask him if dont believe

Thankfully, tides turned in our favor when the AG stepped in.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Where in the article says, it won't be allowed to resell? You seem to learn more about domain investing.

•••
There are a number of high sales to shops and in the business sector. ( see namebio. ) What about the business people that have invested massively?

•••
No. This is a big moment in time that will make the TLD only stronger.

The war isnt won though. It's likely they will put the TLD up for offer in another round. Let's see what happens but meanwhile enjoy the victory!

Since some people are confused. The article is about the registry owner/operator trying to sell/transfer the ownership of the .org TLD registry to a private equity firm. They failed.

It has nothing to do with changing rules for registrants or your .org domains. With a bit of luck this will actually positively impact pricing and reliability of .org domains.

That's the short/incomplete version. Check out savedotorg.org if you want to know more or read up on this thread:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-fight-for-org-is-it-about-money-or-is-it-about-control.1167444/

•••
.org registry won't be sold to a company, but
.org domains can be bought by companies.
(just for clarification ;P )

•••
.org registry won't be sold to a company, but
.org domains can be bought by companies.
(just for clarification ;P )

Yes :)

•••
Or, Is there any way for investors to still bypass and flip their .org domains???
Investors? Bypass? Flip? Org? I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

•••
I think the OP is confused what this decision actually does. It is the best outcome for .ORG registrants.

Additionally ISOC/PIR has to earn back the trust, goodwill, and credibility that was lost in this debacle.

They need to win back the community.

I can't imagine they are going to just arbitrarily raise prices now. If they do, they will see even greater pushback than on this.

Brad

•••
Additionally ISOC/PIR has to earn back the trust, goodwill, and credibility that was lost in this debacle.

They need to win back the community.

think why said .org now β€œnot for sale” :xf.laugh:

Or did they do it to raise .org price by taking it β€œoff market” (my initial thought) you’ve certainly given me a lot to think about!

•••
has been good for humanitarian; now, I'd like to endorse .charity - even if one day just sending a small amount of "sats" each moment is increased organizational capacity

•••
I can't imagine they are going to just arbitrarily raise prices now. If they do, they will see even greater pushback than on this.

I was thinking the same thing. This turn of events won't easily be forgotten (and forgiven) by the community.

Although eventually the sale was declined it should never have come to the point where the entire community, stakeholders and the government had to step in.

It will be interesting to see how ISOC/PIR will be moving forward.

•••
What "end"?

It's a "new beginning"

β€œI am the alpha and the omega”...a quote you know where it is from.....the end is the new beginning :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back