IT.COM

question Is there no way to buy .io anymore?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Haris

Best Domainer Of The End-TimesTop Member
Impact
Hi fellas

I want to buy an .io domain but the domain isn't listed anywhere, has no landing page, no contact information anywhere. And you all know that we can't find any info from whois after Afilias won the contract for .io.

The domain expires in 2018 :xf.frown:

So is there any way I can buy it?

Thanks for your time and attention.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doesn't sound good... will wait for answers too.

•••
What if you contact the registry at nic.io and ask for contact details?

Just explain that you only need to buy the domain, ie. no advertising spam etc. They might as well pass the message to the owner themselves.

Another thing to do is check domaintools.com's whois (just in case you haven't checked there). Sometimes you can see the 'domain is for sale' button which you can click and be redirected to whatever marketplace the domain is sitting... low chances I know.

•••
Hi fellas

I want to buy an .io domain but the domain isn't listed anywhere, has no landing page, no contact information anywhere. And you all know that we can't find any info from whois after Afilias won the contract for .io.

The domain expires in 2018 :xf.frown:

So is there any way I can buy it?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Did I grab it? :)

•••
•••
I think domainIQ still displays the whois info for some .io

Im not sure if that's accurate, i kind of remember someone talking about that in a domainsherpa interview.

But give it a shot.

•••
Sounds like it is not worth buying .io's if a potential buyer can't even find out who owns one.

•••
@Shackleton that's not true .io is a good extension to invest in.

It's true since .io got under new management (Afilias) they no longer display whois info and it has drive inquiries down but there is always landing pages a good percentage of potential buyers (endusers) go to the domain before they check the whois and there are other methods out there.

Has long has tech startups use .io and have good results with the extension there is always a demand, plus if Afilias does decide to make whois public again you will see .io prices go up has long there's still a trend around .io for tech startups.

The problem is trends especially tech trends tend to change. Before .io it was .co .ly and in the future it will be another extension.

•••
Please check the whois in names.plus

•••
•••
@Shackleton that's not true .io is a good extension to invest in.

It's true since .io got under new management (Afilias) they no longer display whois info and it has drive inquiries down but there is always landing pages a good percentage of potential buyers (endusers) go to the domain before they check the whois and there are other methods out there.

Has long has tech startups use .io and have good results with the extension there is always a demand, plus if Afilias does decide to make whois public again you will see .io prices go up has long there's still a trend around .io for tech startups.

The problem is trends especially tech trends tend to change. Before .io it was .co .ly and in the future it will be another extension.

I am finding that some of my domains with GoDaddy are no longer showing a complete WHOIS, and its not just the .IO domains which stopped showing WHOIS back in June. My .IO inquiries came to basically a screeching halt at that time.

But now I noticed even a lot of my .com at GoDaddy are barebones WHOIS. I do not have privacy on any domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back