Dynadot

Is registrar lock safe enough?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have just received an email asking me if I want to sell my domain fashionnews.com, and I said no.(the guy seems to be the owner of fashionnews.fr)
Few hours later,I received a transfer request initiated from a French registrar ovh.com , I can only read its title says "[TRANSFERT] fashionnews.com" , and can not read its email due to all French.
Though I have put my domain "registrar lock" status with enom, however, why the transfer request email still come to me which is supposed to be rejected by my registrar enom.com automatically?
I heard that if we do not response the transfer request emails that the system will allow the domains to be transferred even without our permissions? is that right?
thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

I'm french and i'm a customer of ovh.com

Don't be afraid : the owner of the domain (you) need to accept the transfer request to start the transfer process. If you don't do anything, the transfer will be rejected.

•••
yesonline said:
I have just received an email asking me if I want to sell my domain fashionnews.com, and I said no.(the guy seems to be the owner of fashionnews.fr)
Few hours later,I received a transfer request initiated from a French registrar ovh.com , I can only read its title says "[TRANSFERT] fashionnews.com" , and can not read its email due to all French.
Though I have put my domain "registrar lock" status with enom, however, why the transfer request email still come to me which is supposed to be rejected by my registrar enom.com automatically?
I heard that if we do not response the transfer request emails that the system will allow the domains to be transferred even without our permissions? is that right?
thank you.

You need to contact enom asap and tell them what is going on.......

Do it NOW!

•••
hi, thank you both.
yes, I've contacted enom and they replied me that even the current owner clicks the transfer request link by mistake or accident, only if you have locked the domains that the transfer is still not going anywhere.
So it should be a best policy to lock your domains.

•••
yesonline said:
So it should be a best policy to lock your domains.

Yes -- this is standard practice, really :)

•••
wearenotabot said:
You need to contact enom asap and tell them what is going on.......

Do it NOW!

The current registrar is not going to do anything if the confirmation request is
from the gaining registrar. You either confirm it or ignore it as yesonline had
eventually done.

While locking your domain name is good, the best way to protect your domain
names from possible hijacking really is to be aware such a thing can happen,
and take every step to prevent that.

Keep your domain names locked, protect your login details (both domain and
email address listed on it), clean your computer regularly, etc.

•••
•••
yesonline said:

You receive the email before any checks are made on wether the domain can be transferred. even if you accepted it and they went to transfer it as you have registrar lock enabled the transfer would fail.

•••
I got a transfer request from OVH today for my domain selectionimmobilier.com, that I denied :)
Domain is locked anyway.
It is a French real estate domain and the site of would-be acquirer www.studio-net.fr points to http://www.lesiteimmo.com/ which is a real estate portal.
So it looks like they are trying to grab another fine domain for their use :hehe:

Please let me know if you are having similar issues with that company so I make sure they get a good hard kick in the ass :yell:

SAS OVH
140, quai du Sartel
59100 ROUBAIX
Tel : 0 899 701 761
Fax : 03 20 20 09 58
Email : [email protected]

Objet : Demande d'acception ou refus de transfert
Vos Ref : selectionimmobilier.com

Roubaix, 2006-10-20 11:20:41

Madame, Monsieur,

Nous avons reçu une demande de changement de registrar pour le nom
de domaine selectionimmobilier.com et vous êtes l'un des contacts actuels de ce
domaine:

*-----------------------------------------------------
| DOMAINE: selectionimmobilier.com
| REGISTRAR: ENOM, INC.
| CONTACT: ##########
| CONTACT: ##########

Si vous acceptez le transfert du domaine, l'enregistrement sera suivant:

| DOMAINE: selectionimmobilier.com
| REGISTRAR: OVH
| CONTACT: ss6573-ovh ([email protected])

Pour accepter ou refuser ce transfert, merci de cliquer sur ce lien:

https://www.ovh.com/cgi-bin/rt.pl?###########################

En cas de problème avec le lien ci dessus, veuillez préciser les informations suivantes:
domaine: selectionimmobilier.com
clé ovh: ###########################

Si vous NE repondez PAS dans les 5 jours ET si AU MOINS un autre contact
ACCEPTE le transfert, le transfert sera effectué.

Si aucun contact ne répond, le transfert échouera.

ATTENTION :
si vous n'êtes pas indiqué ci-dessus comme contact pour ce domaine, vous
pouvez perdre tout privilège sur ce domaine. N'acceptez ce transfert que
si vous êtes sûr d'en avoir compris les implications.

Ce transfert a déjà été payé.

Pour toute information complementaire, contactez-nous : [email protected]
Merci de votre confiance.

Le Service Client OVH

•••
You have to purchase the transfer if you want to send this email at OVH so those customers loves to waste their money.

Here's the link about transfers http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/transferts_domaines.xml
It's said that the transfer can be asked only by the owner of the domain, if it's started by another person it will be cancelled.

•••
tomsa most registrars you have to pay to transfer a domain name BUT if it fails you either receive your money back or get your account credited with it.

•••
filth@flexiwebhost said:
tomsa most registrars you have to pay to transfer a domain name BUT if it fails you either receive your money back or get your account credited with it.

Either way, it's a waste of money -- unless they don't mind having a load of unused funds in their account

•••
filth@flexiwebhost said:

As far as i know with OVH you can only send again the transfer demand, if you want a refund i think you have to contact the support.

•••
At first glance I see no link between the two requests. Either it's a sincere mistake or a hijack attempt and they are losing their time and money on locked names :)

•••
If your brand new to the Domains - many people do not know the difference between a transfer and a registration. One time at GoDaddy a man called in and wanted to register msn.com - (oh, we got a great laugh) we explained to him the issue, he opted to backorder the name (again, we laughed) but of course allowed him to do so. The truth... most people who do not understand how the internet works will make this mistake and transfer a domain, thinking they are buying it... happens all the time!

•••
sdsinc said:
At first glance I see no link between the two requests. Either it's a sincere mistake or a hijack attempt and they are losing their time and money on locked names :)

So, if it was Not a Locked domain, would the hijacker succeed?

I really would like to know this answer since I myself have a couple of domains in registrars that charge extra for domain locking that I don't want to pay, prefer to transfer (I am the owner) to a reputable Registrar.

Thanks in advance.

•••
YesBrilliant said:

If:

1. The transfer's approved with the gaining registrar.

2. The domain name was never locked any time during the transfer before or
after #2.

Then yes, the hijacking can succeed.

•••
YesBrilliant said:

I really would like to know this answer since I myself have a couple of domains in registrars that charge extra for domain locking that I don't want to pay, prefer to transfer (I am the owner) to a reputable Registrar.

Thanks in advance.

If transferred as of this week, probably no. The .com and .net registries move to the EPP transfer prodedure that will require the EPP Auth code be entered for the transfer to work. Before, it probably would have gone through if unlocked and not denied in the default period.

Some registrars don't really even have a true lock on EPP domains, since the auth code basically takes care if it. I'm wondering if the new EPP on com/net will change the functionality of domain locks at the major registrars.

•••
Many Thanks DaveZan and AdoptableDomains. Your input is really appreciated.

This is one of the reasons I value NamePros much more than DNF, since at NamePros we can get really useful information because here members are eager to share it with other members, instead of keeping it for themselves.

Thanks again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back