IT.COM

advice Is my domains Registrar holding me back?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm having a very hard time selling my domains on here. And I lowered the price to where I get hardly any profit. The registrar is Ionos, so is that holding me back because it's causing people to not want to buy my domains? In order to become a member at IONOS you must buy something of theirs. Maybe this is holding me back?

I thought my domains were distinct and worth at least reg free, but I'm having a hard time moving them at reg fee...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A registrar should play a minimal role in the decision-making process of someone buying a domain.

A domain either has value or it doesn't. If it belongs to the latter category then, no matter how much one lowers the price, the domain will not be sold even when the price is zero.

•••
I agree with you. But not many people have Ionos accounts in my observation. And the buy-in of having to purchase something of theirs in order to register could cause people to stray away from my listing?

Last edited:
•••
@Krane65 ,
I understand your reasoning but the urge for someone to buy a domain that they like is usually so strong that no registrar can stand as an obstacle imo :)

•••
Lol I see. I did have one person originally try to buy one of my domains, but he couldn't find a way to Register on Ionos. I called Ionos and they said you have to buy something of theirs in order to gain an account. This sort of scared off the customer.

•••
Was 'push' the only way to transfer it to the buyer? If so then you could have bought a cheap domain to open an account for them and push the domain there.

I used to do that in the past when I was the one handling my sales. Now, I have all my domains at Sedo, afternic, etc. where they have their own accounts on most of the registrars and they can sort any issues out without me requiring to do anything.

Last edited:
•••
I offered a $1 off his price and he could use that to register a $1 .com on Ionos. He didn't want to do that and was still scared off. He bought my Dynadot domain in a flash lol.

Last edited:
•••
If you're talking about selling names here on NamePros then I would say it definitely matters. If it's a higher value name (Something selling for at least $XXX on here) then they probably won't mind just having you unlock it and give them the transfer code so they can move it to their preferred registrar. However, if the domain is less than 60 days old then it can't be transferred because of the standard 60 day transfer lock on new domain registrations. On top of that, if we're talking about a $20 or $40 name it might not be something the buyer wants to turn around and have to invest more money into just to do a transfer of the name.

Domains that sell on places like Afternic will most likely want to do a transfer anyways (if it's possible), so the registrar when selling someplace like that might not matter as much, especially if the person really wants the domain. However, here on NamePros I would say the registrar does matter, especially if we're talking about cheaper names. Get them to someplace people actually use and have easy account creation/push options. GoDaddy, Dynadot, NameSilo, NameCheap, Name.com, and many others are used by lots of people on the forums, and they DON'T require you to buy something just to make an account. How many people do you see selling domains registered with IONOS on here? I bought a cheap domain at IONOS one time and wasn't a big fan of them. In fact, I still have never registered another domain there.. I would say the most important factors you need to be considering is:
1) Who is my market audience? Are you trying to sell names on forums like NamePros or on marketplaces like Afternic...
2) What is my price range? Are you selling domains for low-mid $XX or high $XX to low $XXX...

Last edited:
•••
I'm trying to sell on namepros. My price range was $4-$20. The registrar was Ionos or 1and1...

Last edited:
•••
I'm trying to sell on namepros. My price range was $4-$20. The registrar was Ionos or 1and1...

Without knowing the domain it's hard to determine whether the issue is the name itself or the registrar. However, if the name has a lot of time left before expiration and is at least a decent name (worth reg fee like you say) then you should be able to sell it on here for $4-$5 at the very least. That would mean it's likely the registrar. Someone might want it for $5, but they don't want it for $5 along with having to pay another reg. fee for the transfer. Now the price is actually over $10.. That's my guess, anyways.

•••
Both those registrars are unfamiliar to me.
I would be hesitant to try them.
I heard bad things on Ionos, can i ask why you use Ionos, i have zero experience with 1and1.

These registrars definitely cant be helping.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you guys. I used Ionos because I thought the name was cool. I regretted it after I saw their user interface.

•••
Generally, the first motivation to buy a name on namepros is if i really like the name and see potential in flipping or developing it. So, examine your names to make sure they are actually worth buying above registration fee.

Secondly, I must admit.. if i have only mild interest in a name.. the registrar can play a role. I don't like transferring names. I prefer names at Godaddy already tbh. I only go for a transfer if i have an above normal interest in the name. Names are easier for me to manage when they are under one roof.

I wouldn't buy a name registered at ionos, unless it was legit good. If it's basic names to make $10 on then i wouldn't bother tbh.

There's probably only 4 registrars ive felt safe enough using.

•••
Lol I see. I did have one person originally try to buy one of my domains, but he couldn't find a way to Register on Ionos. I called Ionos and they said you have to buy something of theirs in order to gain an account. This sort of scared off the customer.
Why did you chose that registrar at first knowing quite well you are going to be having this kind of issues with em? To me that is not a smart decision by you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back