NameSilo

.mobi Is .mobi domain with very high exact search result worth buying?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have read few discussion here that .mobi is a failed domain and not worth buying. I have come across few .mobi domains which are of very high selling potential and have more than 30,000 or even 600,000 exact search results.

Please help me if I should go for it? or buy only .com, .net, .org's?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally I'd advise to just forget .mobi s. I own accreditation<.>mobi which has 21,000 exact and havent managed to get rid of it not even for low xx!

Focus on .com - there is always a market for decent ones.

•••
Hmm. Thanks. Problem was that the domain I have come across have 6,73,000 exact search result and that too through mobile devices. Through Computer that is much more than that. Now you can understand why was I asking this. :)

•••
I would stay away ! Even with High exact they are not going anywhere

I had 10 .mobi's and dropped every one High exact and even my own initials LLL.mobi .

•••
What do you want the domain for?

To build a site and get an seo advantage from an exact match keyword domain? Then if you can't get this keyword or a combination of it in another TLD, mobi would be an ok choice for development, it will do no worse than the others in search, but people may find it hard to remember.

If you want to buy the domain to resell, forget it. There are about a million mobi domains registered but they rarely sell in the aftermarket and there is an unofficial price ceiling of $5000 on even top names. It just seems endusers don't see mobi as something they want to pay for. Does anyone have a theory to explain that? Why are so many mobi domains registered? Is anyone actually using them?

.asia and .tv have maybe 200k registrations each, .me maybe 500k, but these names do sell in the aftermarket and don't have mobi's price ceiling - I see even .asia selling for $10k plus.

•••
You are right. Thanks. Will stay away from it till it becomes of some value.

Happy New Year!!
:)

•••
Would need to know the specific name to judge, I've seen some high search words I wouldn't want in any extension

•••
If you want to buy the domain to resell, forget it. There are about a million mobi domains registered but they rarely sell in the aftermarket and there is an unofficial price ceiling of $5000 on even top names. It just seems endusers don't see mobi as something they want to pay for. Does anyone have a theory to explain that? Why are so many mobi domains registered? Is anyone actually using them?

My theory is that there are more mobile websites being developed than we think. I base this theory on information I have from mobile link directory owners who say that many of their submissions are mobi sites. If you consider how many domainers have dropped mobi it's amazing that there are still more than one million registered. Mobi has more registrations than .asia ,tel .me and close to as many registrations as the "amazing" .co's

•••
I would have to say no...most mobile devices never even went the .mobi route.

•••
My theory is that there are more mobile websites being developed than we think. I base this theory on information I have from mobile link directory owners who say that many of their submissions are mobi sites. If you consider how many domainers have dropped mobi it's amazing that there are still more than one million registered. Mobi has more registrations than .asia ,tel .me and close to as many registrations as the "amazing" .co's

That is a good theory for why mobi domains are still registered after domainers gave up on them. Now everyone logging into Hostgator gets a popup box for the Afilias GoMobi product, which will work with any domain but carries a small sales pitch for using a .mobi domain.

But from a domain re-selling point of view that is no reason to be optimistic. If someone already has a site and domain and wants another for a separate mobile site, it isn't their main brand and address and they do not need or probably want an expensive aftermarket domain.

Since they pay monthly for GoMobi, it isn't a big upfront expense or development risk - and they can switch it off anytime and cancel the payments. But they can't easily re-sell a .mobi domain.

And they can always just use m.nameofdomain.com or nameofdomain.com/mobile or just have a switch to mobile/desktop link on the site.

Very few .mobi domain sales are reported. You can list super short .mobi domains on Sedo at really low xxx fixed prices and for years the page gets no typeins and no views of the sales offer page. And you can't give these away - try giving a nice .mobi domain to someone who could use it and you find they are not interested - it is just too unfamiliar and alien. So until you see a steady flow of reported .mobi sales at good prices, .mobi is just a waste of time and money for a domainer. Don't waste your time there.

•••
I regged some

I registered some mobi domains;

Desires.mobi
Sensations.mobi

Not for near future reselling but just for long term
possibilities. I would recommand not to build a
whole portfolio with .mobi but just keep some
with good potential for future use. You never know
what will happen in the next 10 years!

:D

•••
I registered some mobi domains:

CarSharing.mobi
Chosun.mobi

Thanks..

•••
•••
i hope to develop my .mobi domain name...CarSharing.mobi
How ? When ? so difficult to find investors..^^;;;

•••
Pathology.mobi

I have domain

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back