Domain Empire

Is It Wise To Back Order One Domain With Every Drop Service?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

-Adam-

The Caffeine King!VIP Member
Impact
I have been curious about using more than one back order service lately.

Typically, I just use namejet and leave it at that.

Today however I am chasing after a name that I really want and trying to decide if I should also place backorders with GoDaddy, Snap, and Pool.

Is there a plus side to this? A downside? Or is this just sheer overkill?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
personally I would skip godaddy, but backorder at snapnames as well.

•••
Yea I know GD is usually a crap shoot but I had a left over back order so I threw it on there for now.

•••
Is this a backorder for and expiring domain or a dropping domain? The strategy is different. If it is an expiring domain, then you should only order it with the auction house which has an arrangement with the registrar, ie eNom Registered domains should be ordered at NameJet. If it is a dropping domain then a multiple backorder is a good strategy because it is a free-for-all when the domain drops. You should backorder at the most successful dropcatchers, NameJet/SnapNames.

•••
Is this a backorder for and expiring domain or a dropping domain? The strategy is different.

If it is an expiring domain, then you should only order it with the auction house which has an arrangement with the registrar, ie eNom Registered domains should be ordered at NameJet. If it is a dropping domain then a multiple backorder is a good strategy because it is a free-for-all when the domain drops. You should backorder at the most successful dropcatchers, NameJet/SnapNames.

Good advice...

•••
The name was dropping. Yet, with all my back orders placed someone else still managed to grab it.

No auctions, no notifications.

Just a godaddy monitor showing the nameservers had changed to the new owner who now has it parked and listed for sale.

Last edited:
•••
OK. So just for educational purposes, where did you backorder this domain? Where was it previously registered? What was the domain name? Where is it regged now?

•••
The name was dropping. Yet, with all my back orders placed someone else still managed to grab it.

No auctions, no notifications.

Just a godaddy monitor showing the nameservers had changed to the new owner who now has it parked and listed for sale.

Sounds like it was registered at godaddy prior to expiration. In this case, it was auctioned off to the highest bidder before pending delete phase.

•••
If you're going to backorder a domain there is no need to use multiple services...Go with either Snapnames or Namejet and backorder it there..You should get it assuming there aren't any other bids on it.

•••
Stu did a little further digging for me into this matter and it turns out that it was captured by BackOrderZone.com which apparently seems to have several unscrupulous practices.

They offered to sell the name for $1200+ or lease it for $29 a month. At this point I think I'll mark it off as a loss and move on.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

•••
If you're going to backorder a domain there is no need to use multiple services...Go with either Snapnames or Namejet and backorder it there..You should get it assuming there aren't any other bids on it.

Actually, stu covered it:

Is this a backorder for and expiring domain or a dropping domain? The strategy is different. If it is an expiring domain, then you should only order it with the auction house which has an arrangement with the registrar, ie eNom Registered domains should be ordered at NameJet. If it is a dropping domain then a multiple backorder is a good strategy because it is a free-for-all when the domain drops. You should backorder at the most successful dropcatchers, NameJet/SnapNames.

Remember that for an expiring domain name, its sponsoring registrar (and auction partner if any) can still do something about it. If/when that domain name hits redemption period onwards is when it's open season, short of the registrar redeeming it for its client.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back