NameSilo

question Is it ok to spend $50 monthly as a starter

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Zain110

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone. If someone has started reading about domain investment in Dec 2022 and reads threads on namepros daily for 30 minutes then is it ok to spend $50 monthly on domain investment as a starter.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Upvote 0
Hi everyone. If someone has started reading about domain investment in Dec 2022 and reads threads on namepros daily for 30 minutes then is it ok to spend $50 monthly on domain investment as a starter.
The simple question would be what can you afford, and do you really have the time and commitment to do this? Or, is your time better spent doing other things. Spending $600 a year on domains is not a trivial amount, unless your budget is without constraints.

Learning the intricacies of domain investing needs more than 30 minutes a day of reading on Namepros. Keep in mind as well that there are also other websites that may be helpful to understand some of the technicalities related to the new trends.

You're very smart to start with the basic questions, and start devising reasonable plans. Feel free to keep reading and asking questions. And welcome to Namepros!

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0

As long as you have a good foundation on the science behind domains, or branding in general - it’s not a major risk as more often than not, it will help you receive some insight as to why a domain did not do as well as you may have imagined it to, which can then be applied in the future.

I personally wouldn’t apply a monthly budget, as some months the drops, or auctions may not be as strong as others. I would wait until there is a domain that spikes your gut feeling & run with it.

Anyhow, as another user similarly mentioned. If losing $50 a month will not negatively impact your life, I’d say it’s a reasonable amount. If it could be used to support your lifestyle with a shorter budget on domain investing, then I’d recommend the latter.

I’m new to NamePros myself, only came here to finalise a purchase in reality, but I do wish you the best of luck with any future endeavours.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
As long as you have a good foundation on the science behind domains, or branding in general - it’s not a major risk as more often than not, it will help you receive some insight as to why a domain did not do as well as you may have imagined it to, which can then be applied in the future.
Another consideration is that you could purchase a domain that you would ultimately like to sell, but would like to try developing into a website. There has been some interesting discussion this week on the forum about domain parking and selling ads. Even with a minimum of effort, content can be placed and ad revenue obtained.

There are plenty of hosting plans for far less than $50/month, and it might be an interesting experiment if you can make the domain readily start paying for itself. And then you still could sell it, perhaps with more SEO value at that point.

•••
Upvote 0
  1. Find what domains are frequently in demand. -- .com, .io, .ai
  2. Find what kind of names are in demand - 1 to 2 dictionary words
  3. Find other similar criteria buyers are looking for and find the availability of those domains names in those extensions.
  4. Make sure it will not directly hit any trademark
  5. Wait patiently until someone has a need and ready to pay for it.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back