Dynadot

question Is it a good time to outbound?

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Negatives: Economy slowing down, uncertainities, martial law/revolution may be coming, only basic needs matter.

Positives: Endusers are at home. They are playing online games, and checking email more often. They have more time to think about domains.
Also Corona would slow down in the summer, and its creators would be hunted one by one, so no more new spreading.., so not big uncertainity.

Corona may spread to the South hemisphere, and this needs to be blocked.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Endusers are at home.

But are they in the mood to buy now, or wait to see how this pans out?

•••
I think it is never a good time to do outbound unless you have a name that is very precisely a big upgrade for that business (and of course does not possibly involve TM issues). Even in those situations, I think this is probably a horrible time to do outbound. Many people in charge of businesses are deeply stressed with managing to survive and caring for their employees, and bothering them to think about a new name is not on their priority list anywhere.
Bob

•••
the endusers you are targetting usually aren't going to be work from home types but I'm assuming will be large companies with deep pockets.

many non-essential companies will be closed indefinitely. sure many will be working from home.

but I think in that Scenario.

Do you really think they will be opening non-essential emails not work related or looks non work related?

People think working remotely is much easier. I say no. Most don't have a "Set up" so they will be a mess.

lol most people love going to work because they have "Set up" their work space at work. and usually a cleaner comes in to tidy up. people at home? working? are messy.

so much going on. plus they are worrying about not screwing up work because that will just be an excuse for them to get fired later when this economy worsens.

so yea. don't know if outbounds would be great right now. probably just a waste of time but I guess wouldn't hurt.

•••
What I have found success in recently is a one-two approach of

1.) find a great short domain, preferably one or two word dictionary for .COM or .NET
2.) build a small Dropshipping site or working prototype to go with the domain.

I've had a number of recent sales averaging about $150 each by doing this and spending just 4 to 5 hours building the dropshipping sites, graphics, articles/written content for each of these projects.

After fees and such it comes out to about $18 to $25 per-hour for me on average. You'll have bad days and great days, but for me this has been about my average based on my skill in researching potential names and my ability to develop starter sites. It can fluctuate quite a bit but the average is pretty decent. Some of the big sales make up for the ones that don't sell at all and the failures I liquidate + cost of renewing domains, etc.

I used to never build starter sites or proofs of concept to go with my domains but times are changing, it's getting more competitive in the domain industry and it's harder to sell just a domain on it's own.

I want to share examples of my sales but I don't want search engines to index this page and the buyers come back to me asking why their name is on Google Search results for NamePros.

•••
build a small Dropshipping site or working prototype to go with the domain.

I've had a number of recent sales averaging about $150 each by doing this and spending just 4 to 5 hours building the dropshipping sites, graphics, articles/written content for each of these projects.

An interesting idea. So in just 4 or 5 hr work you can actually get a little site that does dropshipping up and running? I've never tried it, but assumed, clearly wrongly, that it was much harder.

Your success is inspirational because as well as often selling the site, I presume even if that does not happen, you at least make a little revenue from the site.

I understand you not wanting to share names in an indexed forum, but could you share the sort of product/service areas that this seems to work in? The dropshipping is through Amazon or similar, I presume? Does the Amazon move to pause fulfilled by Amazon third party affect what is possible?

You mention content, do all of your developed mini-sites do drop-shipping, or are some simply content information site, perhaps with monetization through ads.

Thanks for sharing your success here. I agree with your point that selling domains is getting more competitive and some of us will need to think of new approaches.

Bob

•••
An interesting idea. So in just 4 or 5 hr work you can actually get a little site that does dropshipping up and running? I've never tried it, but assumed, clearly wrongly, that it was much harder.

Your success is inspirational because as well as often selling the site, I presume even if that does not happen, you at least make a little revenue from the site.

I understand you not wanting to share names in an indexed forum, but could you share the sort of product/service areas that this seems to work in? The dropshipping is through Amazon or similar, I presume? Does the Amazon move to pause fulfilled by Amazon third party affect what is possible?

You mention content, do all of your developed mini-sites do drop-shipping, or are some simply content information site, perhaps with monetization through ads.

Thanks for sharing your success here. I agree with your point that selling domains is getting more competitive and some of us will need to think of new approaches.

Bob

I personally use WordPress + WooCommerce so that the end-user who may not know skills such as HTML/CSS/JavaScript can use an easy to use control panel to manage their site which makes it much more desirable for them to bid/BIN if they know they can control it without programming.

You can use WooCommerce + Amazon Associate program as one example, but you can also do Shopify + Oberlo which also has an easy-to-use control panel for the buyer who may not know programming and Oberlo can dropship products.

In one example I had a 2 word .COM (brandable sort of domain like you might see on BrandBucket) and I built a shopify site that dropshipped watches and I sold it within 48 hours for $300.00.

You just have to get creative.

Other niches I have sold sites in vary from fish tanks, home & gardening, security equipment, watches, gaming hardware, BBQs and outdoor cooking, etc. It's pretty much a completely different niche every time but the trend I try to follow is products without too much competition or put a unique spin on it, and then you want products with a healthy margin of profit, cart values of $50 to $100 seem to be a good target.

For SEO I hire freelance writers on sites like Fiverr so that these sites have unique articles for Google to pick up on. Often "guides" or "reviews" that incorporate the very products the starter sites are trying to sell.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for the very complete answer, @frostify. I have learned much from your detailed response, or at least know what I need to learn :xf.wink:, and i am sure that other readers have greatly benefited from the detail you provided as well.

This approach seems to me very wise....
but the trend I try to follow is products without too much competition or put a unique spin on it, and then you want products with a healthy margin of profit

Thanks so much! Best wishes for continued success.

Bob

•••
Thank you for the very complete answer, @frostify. I have learned much from your detailed response, or at least know what I need to learn :xf.wink:, and i am sure that other readers have greatly benefited from the detail you provided as well.

This approach seems to me very wise....

Thanks so much! Best wishes for continued success.

Bob

My pleasure, as much as I want to keep my "secrets" to myself, I think it's important to giveback and share my successes with the community so that we can all benefit and grow.

- Julian P.

•••
@frostify

I learned a new word: dropship site.
So you don't sell a product but you pretend?
Or you create affiliate sites?

So I suspect this is more about search engine ranking than anything else.
It is difficult to do well with Google ranking without working hard, waiting, being lucky etc.
In the past you could fill pages with keywords and get good traffic.
Now you need to wait, and backlinking sites also need to be old established sites,
and those backlinks need to be aged, nonspammy etc.

But with some hakcing skills you can do great in seo without hurting anyone
(if i had such a skill, I would be a superman).

Probably I wouldn't do such a thing, but I wonder whether filling landing pages at Namesilo, Dynadot , Epik, Dan with "content" would help.

Why would people buy such dropship domains: for their traffic, for their site, or because they become aware of the domain?

•••
@frostify

I learned a new word: dropship site.
So you don't sell a product but you pretend?
Or you create affiliate sites?

So I suspect this is more about search engine ranking than anything else.
It is difficult to do well with Google ranking without working hard, waiting, being lucky etc.
In the past you could fill pages with keywords and get good traffic.
Now you need to wait, and backlinking sites also need to be old established sites,
and those backlinks need to be aged, nonspammy etc.

But with some hakcing skills you can do great in seo without hurting anyone
(if i had such a skill, I would be a superman).

Probably I wouldn't do such a thing, but I wonder whether filling landing pages at Namesilo, Dynadot , Epik, Dan with "content" would help.

Why would people buy such dropship domains: for their traffic, for their site, or because they become aware of the domain?

With a dropshipping site, you basically create a website with a storefront that users visit that provides products, images, descriptions, sometimes prices or a "check price" button, and then the user either completes the sale on your website and you use a supplier (such as Aliexpress, or a whitelabel provider) to actually fulfill the orders and ship the product to the customer's home. With "referral" type dropshipping (Amazon for example) the user is redirected from your website to the website that is offering commissions and you earn a percentage or fixed amount for each sale referred from your site to their site which is tracked with a unique tracking code in the URL. Amazon for example pays up to 10% as part of the Amazon Associates program. Hope this answers your question.

A fabulous example of a site that incorporates the Amazon Associates program as well as many other suppliers/affiliates is https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/

Disclaimer: I do not own this site, I wish I did!

Last edited:
•••
I wonder whether filling landing pages at Namesilo, Dynadot , Epik, Dan with "content" would help.
I may be technically wrong here, but I think the different places do their landers differently, so that some are treated as sites and some are not. Clearly at Epik they are little sites, even with their own security certificate along with ability to include links and images as well as text content, and I was interested in the same question you ask. I did not put content on my landers just to get traffic, but as trial some of my landers there (of similar names I would think) had no text, some had some text, and some had a lot of text and numerous links. They also allow one to optimize for search with title, description. I doubt I do this very efficiently, but don't leave it blank.

The performance tab at Epik shows the Alexa ranking. My sort of hand reg quality names generally are somewhere between about 1.5M and 10M, none are currently in Alexa 1M. If I have a domain name, say in a new extension, of format word1.word2 and if I do a Google search for word1 word2 (with space) usually nowhere near top of search results. However if I make my search word1 word2 domain (that is the word domain because my description always mentions domain name somewhere) then often it is near or even at the top of the Google search results. Is that of any help? Not sure.

I have found that the other marketplace lander results will sometimes similarly show up, but it seems less so although I have not rigorously tested.

Does Google think it is a real site? I think so. Would additional content and links and especially a back link make it higher? Probably. Would it get high enough to really help sell the domain name? I kind of doubt it in most cases.

Keep in mind I know almost nothing about SEO! :xf.eek: But these are my impressions based on about 8 months of descriptions on landers at Epik, and a longer time at other places including NameSilo, DAN, Sedo, Afternic, Dynadot, etc.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Which landing platform you use for parked domains is entirely up to you:
Brandbucket, Brandpa, Epik.com, DAN.com, etc.

But one thing is for sure, you should use one of them to park your domains that are not hosting active websites!

You can't capture rain if you don't setup buckets.

Make sure potential end-buyers are aware your domain IS FOR SALE with an easy way for them to inquire and reach out to you so they can buy them. Don't just have a blank page up.

(note: some of my domains do not have parking pages because I may develop starter-sites on them in the very near future)

Last edited:
•••
just offered a com for 50 usd got responce from end user:
"try 1500.00"

•••
•••
You offered a .com for 50 to end user, but he wants to pay you 1500?
correct :)

i tried to offering world-of-art
surprisingly I found so many domains that contains world-of-art.

end user have blabla-world-of-art

•••
Is it a good time to outbound?

No. I don't think a lot of people are going to be in the mood to spend money while the world is falling apart.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Check out response I got.

1.PNG

And this one.

2.PNG

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
It is time to buy at cheap prices. The market will recover in a few months.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
It may be a little slow but it recovers.

It recovers, true.

But locking up money thinking you can flip quickly within a few months, may not be a good decision. Unless you have a thick wallet.

•••
It may be a little slow but it recovers.

it always does,

i read somewhere most people got rich during 2009 great recession buying at bargain — and sold after the market recovered.

Truly believe can apply this to domaining,
many people need money since stocks down.
Maybe use that

Last edited:
•••
Back