IT.COM

question Is it a good time to outbound?

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Negatives: Economy slowing down, uncertainities, martial law/revolution may be coming, only basic needs matter.

Positives: Endusers are at home. They are playing online games, and checking email more often. They have more time to think about domains.
Also Corona would slow down in the summer, and its creators would be hunted one by one, so no more new spreading.., so not big uncertainity.

Corona may spread to the South hemisphere, and this needs to be blocked.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Endusers are at home.

But are they in the mood to buy now, or wait to see how this pans out?
I personally doubt that any person/executive is going to stick their neck out right now by making an unneccessary domain name investment when they don't even know if they are going to have a business when this is over (remember: businesses need customers and sometimes other businesses to operate).

It might even be landing on the table of someone who has a death in the family, is worrying about their own or some loved one's health and also their employees.

A person ringing up trying to sell a domain name now might just create a negative feeling. Why not wait until this is over?

•••
Efty have shared on Twitter some data that shows since the pandemic on their platform there are actually more people looking at domains, but a lower number of offers. I think it is true that we may see some who are out of work browsing for domain names, but I don't think, as @jamesall says that hardly any would be willing to make an acquisition in a time when survival is job one. I stand by what I said earlier that this would be a terrible time to do outbound, both for a sensitivity reason, and because low probability of success right now.
Bob

•••
I personally doubt that any person/executive is going to stick their neck out right now by making an unneccessary domain name investment when they don't even know if they are going to have a business when this is over (remember: businesses need customers and sometimes other businesses to operate).

It might even be landing on the table of someone who has a death in the family, is worrying about their own or some loved one's health and also their employees.

A person ringing up trying to sell a domain name now might just create a negative feeling. Why not wait until this is over?
Jamesall...in all due respect, we're not selling "snake oil". I wouldn't be in this business if that were the case. Please don't assume that someone wouldn't be interested in buying a domain for any reason just because you think it's not a good time. The odds are actually greater there's a death in the family for another reason than the possibility it's a result of the coronavirus?

Any professional worth their salt should be sensitive enough to know when to move on.....jmho

•••
Jamesall...in all due respect, we're not selling "snake oil".
Might do better with snake oil regarding my point nr1.
Any professional worth their salt should be sensitive enough to know when to move on.....jmho
This was point nr 2. Not as concrete as point nr 1 was. The first point (paragraph 1) covered the OP question. You don't have to be a domainer to answer that question. You just need some business etiquette and common sense.

Last edited:
•••
Haven't been able to bring myself to do any outbounding since corona started, cos I think most prospective customers will just not be in the mood right now, with the exception of buyers of names that have to do with essentials needed to weather this outbreak.

I will try some outbound next week, and see what happens.

•••
•••
Negatives: Economy slowing down, uncertainities, martial law/revolution may be coming, only basic needs matter.

Positives: Endusers are at home. They are playing online games, and checking email more often. They have more time to think about domains.
Also Corona would slow down in the summer, and its creators would be hunted one by one, so no more new spreading.., so not big uncertainity.

Corona may spread to the South hemisphere, and this needs to be blocked.

I agree on "Positives" and will add this:
People will lose their offline careers, offline jobs and offline businesses at the end of these weird days.
People will be open to all offers more than ever as long as those offers are not "offline" based.

"only basic needs matter."
No. Basic problems will be solved by governments, social programs, etc.
People need income, job or just new hobbies to keep themselves busy.

"uncertainities"
Last global economic crisis has not been solved. A new and greater economic crisis was expected by experts and it has started. Proof? All countries have announced huge quantitative easing programs in order to minimize the damage of the new economic crisis. Easing has not worked for the last crisis, so it will not work for this crisis as well. Economic crisis was certain. Corona is not the reason, is only a trigger. Many things are uncertain, not everything.

So it's a good time for those who love outbound, I don't.. No need to hurry. This period has just started, will not end soon.

P.S. Dropship means "drop only the shipment, everything else remains the same". Affiliate sites are not dropship sites as they don't receive payment from the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
What I have found success in recently is a one-two approach of

1.) find a great short domain, preferably one or two word dictionary for .COM or .NET
2.) build a small Dropshipping site or working prototype to go with the domain.

I've had a number of recent sales averaging about $150 each by doing this and spending just 4 to 5 hours building the dropshipping sites, graphics, articles/written content for each of these projects.

After fees and such it comes out to about $18 to $25 per-hour for me on average. You'll have bad days and great days, but for me this has been about my average based on my skill in researching potential names and my ability to develop starter sites. It can fluctuate quite a bit but the average is pretty decent. Some of the big sales make up for the ones that don't sell at all and the failures I liquidate + cost of renewing domains, etc.

I used to never build starter sites or proofs of concept to go with my domains but times are changing, it's getting more competitive in the domain industry and it's harder to sell just a domain on it's own.

I want to share examples of my sales but I don't want search engines to index this page and the buyers come back to me asking why their name is on Google Search results for NamePros.

Do you mean you acquire domain names, build website on them and sell them to end users? I have been trying to do something like this for a long time and it will be interesting to know your success rate.

How long do you wait before selling the websites?
Do you sell them immediately after building them?
What about traffic? Since you said Starter Sites, my understanding of starter sites are ones without traffic.

Your angle of approach is focused on dropshipping sites... is that the only sector you focus on?

What about building geo domain sites and flipping them as starter sites? Any success in there as well?

Thanks in anticipation.

•••
Do you mean you acquire domain names, build website on them and sell them to end users? I have been trying to do something like this for a long time and it will be interesting to know your success rate.

How long do you wait before selling the websites?
Do you sell them immediately after building them?
What about traffic? Since you said Starter Sites, my understanding of starter sites are ones without traffic.

Your angle of approach is focused on dropshipping sites... is that the only sector you focus on?

What about building geo domain sites and flipping them as starter sites? Any success in there as well?

Thanks in anticipation.
I primarily focus drop shipping sites built with WordPress + WooCommerce.
Normal time to build a site is 2 to 3 days, turn around time is 7 days to sell, cost to make a site is about $30 to $40, normal sell price is about $150 to $200, total profit is about $120 to $170. It adds up if you keep the cycle going and continuously make sites. It does get repetitive but it just feels like a part-time job at a certain point.

They are starter sites so no traffic, I do not build geo sites, hopefully this answers some of your questions.

•••
I primarily focus drop shipping sites built with WordPress + WooCommerce.
Normal time to build a site is 2 to 3 days, turn around time is 7 days to sell, cost to make a site is about $30 to $40, normal sell price is about $150 to $200, total profit is about $120 to $170. It adds up if you keep the cycle going and continuously make sites. It does get repetitive but it just feels like a part-time job at a certain point.

They are starter sites so no traffic, I do not build geo sites, hopefully this answers some of your questions.
Oh thanks.

So where do you get buyers that you sell to? Flippa or you search for end users yourself through google?

Are you able to sell 5 or more per month with this model?

•••
Oh thanks.

So where do you get buyers that you sell to? Flippa or you search for end users yourself through google?

Are you able to sell 5 or more per month with this model?
Jideofor....while I can't speak for frostify (he's pretty creative btw), i see a lot of change coming in the way of "outbound" marketing in this industry.

For instance, I just hand registered 10 domains like BetheBall.com because i have a vision for an "end users" who might want them. I don't know who owns BetheBall.com, but whoever it is hasn't developed it, or has it for sale that I can tell:xf.rolleyes: I'm sure you're aware that pretty much ALL sports involves a ball, and pretty much everyone on this earth knows it. Whether you're kicking a soccer ball, hitting a baseball, passing a football, shooting a basketball, or even playing pool, all of these sports involve a ball. Regardless whether it's players, fans, teachers/trainers, they're involved with these sports. If you can't imagine who might want to own the domain BetheBall.com for any of a variety of reasons, my suggestion is for naught:xf.frown:

Looking at your Avitar jideofor, I see where you have have some pretty good acrobat "moves". Unfortunately BetheMove.com is taken, however domains like BetheJive.com and BetheStunt.com are available to register. I wouldn't recommend you buy them unless you can get your names in front of end users who might like them or see potential to monetize them....gymnastics and dance are a pretty big deal here in America, and I would look to sell BetheJive.com to someone involved in Dance and BetheStunt.com to someone involved in Gymnastics.

Finally, to buy domains like this and merely list them with the likes of Afternic, Flippa, Sedo, Uniregistry is a formula for failure imho. And this isn't to say you shouldn't do that, but you are much more likely to sell them if you "outbound" market them yourself or get someone to help you. Make Sense?

•••
Jideofor....while I can't speak for frostify (he's pretty creative btw), i see a lot of change coming in the way of "outbound" marketing in this industry.

For instance, I just hand registered 10 domains like BetheBall.com because i have a vision for an "end users" who might want them. I don't know who owns BetheBall.com, but whoever it is hasn't developed it, or has it for sale that I can tell:xf.rolleyes: I'm sure you're aware that pretty much ALL sports involves a ball, and pretty much everyone on this earth knows it. Whether you're kicking a soccer ball, hitting a baseball, passing a football, shooting a basketball, or even playing pool, all of these sports involve a ball. Regardless whether it's players, fans, teachers/trainers, they're involved with these sports. If you can't imagine who might want to own the domain BetheBall.com for any of a variety of reasons, my suggestion is for naught:xf.frown:

Looking at your Avitar jideofor, I see where you have have some pretty good acrobat "moves". Unfortunately BetheMove.com is taken, however domains like BetheJive.com and BetheStunt.com are available to register. I wouldn't recommend you buy them unless you can get your names in front of end users who might like them or see potential to monetize them....gymnastics and dance are a pretty big deal here in America, and I would look to sell BetheJive.com to someone involved in Dance and BetheStunt.com to someone involved in Gymnastics.

Finally, to buy domains like this and merely list them with the likes of Afternic, Flippa, Sedo, Uniregistry is a formula for failure imho. And this isn't to say you shouldn't do that, but you are much more likely to sell them if you "outbound" market them yourself or get someone to help you. Make Sense?

Thanks for the reply. We were actually talking about selling websites and not just domain names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back