BoutiqueMusic said:
Do you think calling me names by using dollar signs instead of the letter s is allowed on this forum? Probably not, so shame on you. You should know better. I'm sorry if I don't feel sorry for chickens and you don't like it. Does that also mean that because I like eggs I support abortion? I am a hunter and I am a very good shot. I hate when the first shot does not kill. It happens.
I didn't call you a name.
BoutiqueMusic said:
And don't be fooled by the American indian rap. They are allowed to hunt indiscriminately with no season. Non-indian hunters must wait for the season to hunt by the rules. This is very difficult after 6-9 months of the hunting equivalent of clear cutting.
As far as I know, there is nothing like this going on anywhere near where I live.
BoutiqueMusic said:
Does your boss look over your shoulder for 8 hours a day? Probably not. How can a few people police the entire workforce? Sure, the management is responsible for the behavior of its workforce but it's very expensive to constantly hire and train new people. Not to mention the difficulty in finding people that can handle that job. Working in a meat packing plant on the line does not require a PhD. Unless the general public is willing to pay double or triple what they are already paying, the conditions are not going to improve.
The USDA is opposed to the Humane Slaughter Act, which is a law requiring that animals be stunned unconscious before being hoisted up on the line. Violations of the Act carry no penalties, which enables most USDA employees to ignore it. Stopping the line (to re-stun conscious animals for example) causes downtime, so any rare USDA supervisor who wants to continually stop the line for any reason is reprimanded or reassigned.
There are only a few small changes to the line that would effectively end most cruelty occurring in slaughterhouses across the country. Some changes have already been implemented, but the meat packing industry opposes change completely and the USDA bends over when the industry tells them to.
I disagree that the price of meat would double or triple, even if one or two extra inspectors were hired per line to monitor and record cruelty. Even so, American's love meat and milk. If the price of meat doubled, people would bitch and moan to themselves, but they'd still buy it. When the price of milk recently went into the stratosphere, the general public had no idea why... and surprise, surprise, they still continue to buy milk. Organic milk is over $6 per gallon and it continually sells out at our local Wal-Mart.
BoutiqueMusic said:
Doing away with the meat industry seems simple enough except what are you going to do with all of these workers? They are people that have familys to feed. Besides how do you intend to turn a meat eating population into veegans?
Did someone else on the thread mention that we should do away with the meat industry? I don't remember saying anything of the sort.
BoutiqueMusic said:
Once again, there is no bridge between the great divide between both sides of this issue.
When both sides go to extremes, nobody will budge.