IT.COM

Is GoDaddy's deluxe or protected registration worth it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Protected is $25 which I think is too much for just registration. What do you think are the chances of making or getting an accidental or malicious transfer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Advice Pro said:
Protected is $25 which I think is too much for just registration. What do you think are the chances of making or getting an accidental or malicious transfer?

I don't know what you mean by protected = $25?
Privacy for the whois?

•••
It's a new service they started offering recently: http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/protect/landing.asp?isc=slam1&ci=9004

mis_chiff said:
I don't know what you mean by protected = $25?
Privacy for the whois?

Advice Pro said:

The deluxe registration makes your whois information private -- that'll add some security (eg. it'll be much more difficult to impersonate you if they don't know who you are). Maximum protection offered at Godaddy is the Protected Registration option. If it's a valuable domain, it might very well be worth getting it (think of it as cheap insurance).

•••
The image was hard to see, but I saw what you meant.

I don't understand why you would need it.
If your domains are locked and your info up to date,
nothing should happen without you knowing anyway :)

Oops, thanks Reece, just saw your post :)

•••
I think this is just another way of marketing what has always been in the past a free service.
They have just put a few good fancy reasons together and marketed it to see how many people they can fish.

Don't get me wrong it does add another layer or security on your domain but I wouldn't advise paying $25 for it unless your domain is heavily valued and you stand to lose a big investment if it was deleted or stolen.

Azlan

•••
What exactly does this service add? I haven't been able to figure it out.

If your domain is protected for $25, in what way is the transfer process different?

•••
If you think you have a real gold domain name, something really valuable.
You must try protected service from godaddy, its worth it, otherwise, i don't see any benefit :)

•••
The amount of options you get after selecting a name to buy is stupid on godaddy.com. So many times I have had to click remove on the checkout after being shocked to see something I didnt want in there. Why can't they just keep it simple. BTW, the codes WOW1, WOW2 and WOW3 can be used to get some discounts :)

Enjoy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back