IT.COM

Is Escrow worth the effort to use?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HostGeeks.com

Top Member
Impact
Is the optimal way to sell cheap domains by using paypal,stripe for your own landing pages
or undeveloped by itself and pay the commission
and escrow for large purchases?

I want to select the cheapest payment method of course but i want to cover myself from chargeback scammers.

I'm having trouble with this because sometimes i have cheap domains and the fees just kill the profit like bank fees on undeveloped

I hope i got my message across thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For big purchases you want to use some kind of escrow. Smaller transactions can be tricky, no one wants to get scammed for $100 either, you should try to use something that will give you piece of mind.

•••
With more experience you will learn to read between the lines, nothing will ever replace the "gut feeling".

•••
I rarely sell anything at the $100 level. ALL my privately negotiated transactions go thru escrow, irrespective of the amount. My other sales are mostly thru Afternic. I sell on NamePros rarely, using PayPal.

Escrow is well worth it because it's free when you charge the fees to the buyer :)

Last edited:
•••
Is the optimal way to sell cheap domains by using paypal,stripe for your own landing pages
or undeveloped by itself and pay the commission
and escrow for large purchases?

I want to select the cheapest payment method of course but i want to cover myself from chargeback scammers.

I'm having trouble with this because sometimes i have cheap domains and the fees just kill the profit like bank fees on undeveloped

I hope i got my message across thank you
See my reply to Rory Ivey, above. In a nutshell, escrow.com looks very affordable for me even on a $150 sale. SEE: https://www.escrow.com/fee-calculator to confirm the numbers - and it also shows other possible add-on costs (still fair and reasonable for me given it gives lots of protection as a seller). Re: bank fees, see url to compare. Hope that is helpful.

•••
DAN.COM -- POOF !! Problem solved.

9% inbound OR 5% using your own lead, you send them invoice via dan account.

bank fees ? , get paypal, send to transferwise for currency exchange then wire to your bank.

Last edited:
•••
I rarely sell anything at the $100 level. ALL my privately negotiated transactions go thru escrow, irrespective of the amount. My other sales are mostly thru Afternic. I sell on NamePros rarely, using PayPal.

Escrow is well worth it because it's free when you charge the fees to the buyer :)
Glad you mentioned Afternic. (1) Did your Buyers go to Afternic because you marketed to them and told them to go to Afternic? or Did they call Afternic sales and they got them interested in you or your names? (2) Were any of your solds brands (I have a lot of catchy creative names and names that sound good but I can't see how Afternic could ever tell a buyer about my names because they're almost impossible to search on Afternic for. Your thoughts? ** ANYthing you can share which might get me to use Afternic more effectively would be very greatly appreciated. I'm feel frustrated at the moment.

•••
Glad you mentioned Afternic. (1) Did your Buyers go to Afternic because you marketed to them and told them to go to Afternic? or Did they call Afternic sales and they got them interested in you or your names? (2) Were any of your solds brands (I have a lot of catchy creative names and names that sound good but I can't see how Afternic could ever tell a buyer about my names because they're almost impossible to search on Afternic for. Your thoughts? ** ANYthing you can share which might get me to use Afternic more effectively would be very greatly appreciated. I'm feel frustrated at the moment.

I list on Afternic, but point all my domains to my own website. So the buyers are going to afternic to make any searches and offers. Possibly after they have already visited my own website, after typing the domain in their browser. All the domains I have sold on Afternic are exact match keywords. I haven't sold any brandable domains thru them. Which seems to mirror your own experience. So I don't think I have anything new to add to your own expereince with Afternic.

But one thing I do usually when I receive an inquiry from Afternic. Most of my domains don't have prices on my website or Afternic. So I evaluate the domain, decide on my selling price, add 25%, and put it on Fast Transfer at Afternic. I then put the domain price on my website less 20%. Which nets me the same price on either outlet. So far. Nobody has taken the bait of buying the domain from my website. Still, 100% of Afternic inquiries which proceed to a sale, are sold thru Afternic. Nobody, so far, has gone to buy at the cheaper price from my website. There are several possibilities for that. IMHO, it's because the buyer, prefers to buy from Afternic, as an established and reliable retailer of domains. Even though the prices are higher.

•••
I list on Afternic, but point all my domains to my own website. So the buyers are going to afternic to make any searches and offers. Possibly after they have already visited my own website, after typing the domain in their browser. All the domains I have sold on Afternic are exact match keywords. I haven't sold any brandable domains thru them. Which seems to mirror your own experience. So I don't think I have anything new to add to your own expereince with Afternic.

But one thing I do usually when I receive an inquiry from Afternic. Most of my domains don't have prices on my website or Afternic. So I evaluate the domain, decide on my selling price, add 25%, and put it on Fast Transfer at Afternic. I then put the domain price on my website less 20%. Which nets me the same price on either outlet. So far. Nobody has taken the bait of buying the domain from my website. Still, 100% of Afternic inquiries which proceed to a sale, are sold thru Afternic. Nobody, so far, has gone to buy at the cheaper price from my website. There are several possibilities for that. IMHO, it's because the buyer, prefers to buy from Afternic, as an established and reliable retailer of domains. Even though the prices are higher.
Can't thank you enough for your detail and care in responding... you did just do the minimum... Thanks again.

•••

where can I see a list of your current 'for sales' and prices/descriptions?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back