Dynadot

.mobi Is DotMobi a retrocausal flow ???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

satsdifference.com

Love God Love LifeRestricted (85-100%)
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are so many things wrong with .mobi, but suffice it to say most website owners are happy with just ONE extension. Plus, many don't care about having a mobile-friendly website...

Soon .mobi will be a collector's item.

•••
you can view most all websites on any smartphone..there is no "need" for .mobi

.mobi actually has less going for it than any other extension because of smartphones/browers able to display full sites

•••
Infinity, putting my conspiracy theorist hat on for a moment - maybe Google, Yahoo & MS (the major .mobi backers) all failed to actively promote .mobi because they knew it would effect their web-based ad revenues if the extension took off. basically, from what i can see, they've done a grand job in 'gatekeeping' the mobile internet.
you see, their are only so many ads they can all pump into a little mobile screen, furthermore, they were all lacking behind allready-established & successfull mobile ad systems - so the question is, did they ever really want .mobi to be a success?
:alien:
best regards,.

•••
``

Last edited:
•••
dot Mobi is still not worth talking about here. but both Reuters.mobi and CNN.mob both still function so i'm not sure why you'd say they aren't resolving anymore.

just thought I'd clarify that.....

•••
``

Last edited:
•••
oh ok

at the time of that post they were switched to .com pointing

it's a normal up-down rollercoaster ride :)

My mistake as well. I only rechecked on my laptop before posting.

The Reuters.mobi seems to resolve to Reuters.mobi all the time for me on my laptop but CNN.mobi will resolve to CNN.mobi on one of my laptops but not on my other laptop.

And more importantly not on my Droid using Bing :(.

I forgot that both my Bing and Google browser will sometimes not recognize Mobi addresses. Pretty sad if you think about it. It is hit and miss.

Sorry for not checking on all devices before posting.....

•••
``

Last edited:
•••
The whole dot .mobi thing was just a marketing project to sell a lot of worthless domains to domainers. If you have registered some .mobi domains you have helped people behind this extension making money. That's the end of this story. There is no more to it.

Almost every year there is new hype created around another new extension. These days this is .CO.

•••
``

Last edited:
•••
From google trends, .mobi demonstrate better and better.

The .mobi, .biz, .info trends
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.mobi,.biz,.info&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2008&sort=0
Year 2008 .mobi 1.00 .biz 2.85 .info 4.30
Year 2009 .mobi 1.00 .biz 3.20 .info 4.70
Year 2010 .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.50 .info 4.00

Now let's see the recent 5 months, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov
July .mobi 1.00 .biz 2.04 .info 3.32
Aug .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.58 .info 2.68
Sept .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.14 .info 1.90
Oct .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.06 .info 1.80
Nov .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.02 .info 1.80
In the recent 5 month
From 49% of .biz to 98% of .biz, percentage increase 100%
from 30% of .info to 56% of .info, pencentage increase 84%

I don't think that it will be long for .mobi performs better than .biz, and performs as well as .info. It will not be long for .mobi performing better than .info.

Of course, you may say .biz and .info is not the good extention to compare, but it do see the increasing of .mobi.

Do more job, I compaired the .mobi/.net for recent 5 months
July .mobi/.net 1/262
Aug .mobi/.net 1/208, percentage increase 26.0%
Sept .mobi/.net 1/155, percentage increase 34.2%
Oct .mobi/.net 1/139, percentage increase 11.5%
Nov .mobi/.net 1/132, percentage increase 5.5%
We can see the steady increase of .mobi usage, percentage increaed 98.5% in the past 5 month

Last edited:
•••
From google trends, .mobi demonstrate better and better.

The .mobi, .biz, .info trends
http://www.google.com/trends?q=.mobi,.biz,.info&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2008&sort=0
Year 2008 .mobi 1.00 .biz 2.85 .info 4.30
Year 2009 .mobi 1.00 .biz 3.20 .info 4.70
Year 2010 .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.50 .info 4.00

Now let's see the recent 5 months, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov
July .mobi 1.00 .biz 2.04 .info 3.32
Aug .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.58 .info 2.68
Sept .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.14 .info 1.90
Oct .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.06 .info 1.80
Nov .mobi 1.00 .biz 1.02 .info 1.80
In the recent 5 month
From 49% of .biz to 98% of .biz, percentage increase 100%
from 30% of .info to 56% of .info, pencentage increase 84%

I don't think that it will be long for .mobi performs better than .biz, and performs as well as .info. It will not be long for .mobi performing better than .info.

Of course, you may say .biz and .info is not the good extention to compare, but it do see the increasing of .mobi.

Do more job, I compaired the .mobi/.net for recent 5 months
July .mobi/.net 1/262
Aug .mobi/.net 1/208, percentage increase 26.0%
Sept .mobi/.net 1/155, percentage increase 34.2%
Oct .mobi/.net 1/139, percentage increase 11.5%
Nov .mobi/.net 1/132, percentage increase 5.5%
We can see the steady increase of .mobi usage, percentage increaed 98.5% in the past 5 month

Very interesting statistic ChineseDomain. I wasn't aware that Mobi was making gains against Biz, info etc. Good to know considering how abysmal Mobi is doing in the aftermarket currently....

•••
Nearly all extensions, including the junk ones, are growing. It's not the sole measure of success. The gap is still widening vs other extensions.
I think .name is among the few TLDs that have been decreasing in numbers.

•••
Nearly all extensions, including the junk ones, are growing. It's not the sole measure of success. The gap is still widening vs other extensions.
I think .name is among the few TLDs that have been decreasing in numbers.

My point is not the increasing of absolute amount, but the increasing spead. We can take .info, or .net as baseline, to see the trends of .mobi of the recent 5 months

.info as baseline, .mobi increased 84%
.net as baseline, .mobi increased 98.5%

•••
If you look at this summary: http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2010.php

You will see growth is pretty linear among TLD. For example there has been an average growth of 1% between October and November.
In absolute numbers .com has gained 6.6M+ new registrations since the beginning of the year while .mobi has gained a mere 33,866. This is not spectacular growth, whether absolute or relative. That is why .mobi is getting more marginal every day, and the same applies to other struggling extensions, .biz being another example.

The increasing gap means .mobi is not significant at all, it's a just a spot on a radar screen :guilty:

•••
In absolute numbers .com has gained 6.6M+ new registrations since the beginning of the year while .mobi has gained a mere 33,866. This is not spectacular growth, whether absolute or relative. That is why .mobi is getting more marginal every day, and the same applies to other struggling extensions, .biz being another example.

Good stats. From that it appears .mobi total registrations has been falling lately (and has has been up and done this year). Not sure if that is landrush related etc but it certainly isn't a good omen in my view when you've got contractions every second or third month.

I think this is fast becoming an extension without much of market. The trend of having a separate mobile url seems to be dying in favour of auto detection (and most went with sub domains anyway). Three years ago .mobi was a lottery ticket, today it is more like a 3 year old lottery ticket with the wrong numbers on it.

Personally I think the .mobi aftermarket will continue to spiral down. I would suggest to anyone who thinks small falls in registration number isn't significant, it is. For example during the .com bust registration number fell maybe 10% whilst price came down 90%. .mobi has already exceeded that in my view (the 90%). Registration number tend to be very sticky and any fall at all over a 6 months or so is a very bad sign.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

My point is not the increasing of absolute amount, but the increasing spead. We can take .info, or .net as baseline, to see the trends of .mobi of the recent 5 months

.info as baseline, .mobi increased 84%
.net as baseline, .mobi increased 98.5%

Not sure what you mean here, those stats are search queries, and pretty bad stats at that.

Just type in .mobi and you'll see most of the people came from South Africa, India and Poland and speak a language called "Tagalog"....the stats are complete rubbish. (probably because there is very little volume in the term)

http://www.google.com/trends?q=.mobi&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2010&sort=2

•••
Domainers are leaving Mobi. That explains declining registrations.

And has little or nothing to do with the eventual popularity of the extension, in the same way that the early hype has nothing to do with it's eventual success or failure. It is about development and, for it's age, Mobi is doing OK in that.

Most registrars feature Mobi along with Info and Biz as alternate choices for their customers. Affilias will see to it that this continues. Mobi prices are currently far below those of Info and Biz. Wise investors will take notice.

•••
Domainers are leaving Mobi. That explains declining registrations.

And has little or nothing to do with the eventual popularity of the extension, in the same way that the early hype has nothing to do with it's eventual success or failure. It is about development and, for it's age, Mobi is doing OK in that.

Most registrars feature Mobi along with Info and Biz as alternate choices for their customers. Affilias will see to it that this continues. Mobi prices are currently far below those of Info and Biz. Wise investors will take notice.

I think you are kidding yourself, when a bunch of domainers all leave something that is because they see little hope for it, they don't agree with you that this extension might eventually be successful.

Even the backers have backed out and they are perhaps the only companies who could have made this work. .mobi was a lottery and the right numbers did not come out. That moment in time when it could have worked is well and truly passed.

•••
letting your users recall one name to find you is easier, and making your site recognize what kind of browser is most important

•••
Mobi was created by Nokia. ICANN refused to approve it originally, so they brought in Google, Microsoft and the others to show "industry acceptance". Yahoo and Apple were not involved.

I am recently wondering just how much the original plan was to force the mobile web into certain tech guidelines and thus create a second web, available mostly on Mobi. This heavy handed grab for control angered a lot of people - and was rapidly dumped by the DotMobi registry when they realized it was impossible to enforce. (Not being tech-savvy I was only vaguely aware of this undercurrent. I have always seen Mobi as an identifier: Mobi = Mobile.)

Nokia sells smart phones. The basic idea of Mobi was to encourage websites that are mobile-friendly so that people would want smart phones. That groundwork was completed, so Nokia sold the extension. The financial gain or loss mattered very little, Nokia is in the phone business, Mobi's purpose was to help sell phones.

Now Mobi is owned by Affilias, a company with no other business than domains. Affilias owns Info and provides back end support for Org and many CC extensions. Mobi is now much clearer in it's objective - no cross purposes in the way.

For the investor the only question is ROI from today onward. Among second tier extensions, Mobi is currently subject to domainer panic selling. While domainers try to predict future value, they are highly subject to emotion - "the crowd is right most of the time but wrong at the wrong time" - they miss the big moves. The fundamentals are as good for Mobi as for any other second tier ext, plus the mobile web is about to dominate. This looks good to me.

Caveat: Mobi is speculative (within the speculation that is domains). I have mostly Coms, after housecleaning I will have about 10% Mobi.

•••
For the investor the only question is ROI from today onward. Among second tier extensions, Mobi is currently subject to domainer panic selling. While domainers try to predict future value, they are highly subject to emotion - "the crowd is right most of the time but wrong at the wrong time" - they miss the big moves. The fundamentals are as good for Mobi as for any other second tier ext, plus the mobile web is about to dominate. This looks good to me.

Caveat: Mobi is speculative (within the speculation that is domains). I have mostly Coms, after housecleaning I will have about 10% Mobi.

When something falls heavily, it is easy to say it is "panic selling" as though it is going to come back one day and not justified, or talk talk in quotes and analogies as though that means something.

But what points to .mobi ever coming back? The very essence of the extension, support by famous and influential corporations is gone. Are Google and Microsoft panic sellers as well? They've dumped it.

•••
that was a very long detailed post, accent, nice and thanks

•••
I am recently wondering just how much the original plan was to force the mobile web into certain tech guidelines and thus create a second web, available mostly on Mobi. This heavy handed grab for control angered a lot of people - and was rapidly dumped by the DotMobi registry when they realized it was impossible to enforce. (Not being tech-savvy I was only vaguely aware of this undercurrent. I have always seen Mobi as an identifier: Mobi = Mobile.)

Most of this is speculative, but some of it is factually wrong. The mobi extension attracts uninformed speculation and passionate debate with very few facts ever referenced, but huge amounts of money being lost.

There is one web, but sites made for large screens and powerful processors don't work well on most phones, so what .mobi said it would do was guarantee that you could find phone-friendly content on a .mobi domain, and whatever other non mobile content the owner wanted to put there in addition to the one - only one - page they were required to have in a mobile friendly format. This wasn't necessary, just convenient, if it worked.

That requirement was never enforced, raising credibility issues. The Dotmobi company lost huge amounts of money before being taken over by Afilias, probably their biggest creditor. Nokia had put at least $1.8m into mobi before dropping it, and Nokia are behind in the smartphone market.

There does not seem to be growth in mobi registration or use. Anyone got any other facts?

And if you're tempted to gamble on this, ask yourself, why would someone choose to use a mobi domain?

Last edited:
•••
Carob said:
Most of this is speculative, but some of it is factually wrong. The mobi extension attracts uninformed speculation and passionate debate with very few facts ever referenced, but huge amounts of money being lost.

I am not at all sure what facts you think I have wrong. You are correct that at landrush there were simple requirements, and even those were never enforced. I was speaking about the original Nokia plan that caused Tim Berners-Lee to oppose the granting of the extension by ICANN:
Berners-Lee said:
... It is fundamentally useful to be able to quote the URI for some information and then look up that URI in an entirely different context. For example, I may want to look up a restaurant on my laptop, bookmark it, and then, when I only have my phone, check the bookmark to have a look at the evening menu...
He speaks as if Mobi is counter to device independence and thus a danger to the freedom of the web. In the early stages of web-phone development there appears to have the possibility of a separate set of requirements for web-enabled phones. This would be an incentive for Google, Microsoft, Visa and the rest to get involved with Mobi, something that I see no other explanation for. The money that can be made with a domain extension, regardless how successful, is pennies to Google and the rest. Speculation -- yes, but it fits the facts and explains some of the deep animosity that Mobi evokes in some people.

Of course either a Com or a Mobi (or anything else) offers this ability now, although having a option for mobile friendly use has proven to be valuable to many businesses, regardless of whether they use Mobi, M., /mobile or whatever.

Carob said:
... And if you're tempted to gamble on this, ask yourself, why would someone choose to use a mobi domain?
At Last! Someone asked the right question.

Half of the cell phones sold this year in the USA are web-enabled, and the growth is expected to continue. The president of Google has said he expects his company to make more money on Mobile than on PC in a few years. The mobile web may be one of the largest success stories of the next decade.

An existing business can choose Mobi or M. as they wish, but most will want to reach this new market one way or another. But this new opportunity also will allow many new uses of the mobile web which will be promoted by new companies. These new companies will want to identify themselves as Mobile-centered businesses to their customers. What more straightforward way to say "This website is for use on your phone" than a Mobi domain?

In other words, Mobi is good customer communication.

Is Com a better investment? Maybe so, but Mobi could surprise. The show has barely begun.

Snoop said:
When something falls heavily, it is easy to say it is "panic selling" as though it is going to come back one day and not justified, or talk talk in quotes and analogies as though that means something.
.Mobi is certainly experiencing panic selling. This is a domainer event, not related to the fundamentals.

Snoop said:
But what points to .mobi ever coming back? The very essence of the extension, support by famous and influential corporations is gone. Are Google and Microsoft panic sellers as well? They've dumped it.
I certainly cannot guarantee that Mobi will come back. Google and friends could have made Mobi a star, that is gone. What remains? A long list of active websites, placement by most registrars as a top tier alternative TLD, and the upcoming boom in mobile computing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back