Domain Empire

Is Domaining basically one giant pyramid scheme?

NameSilo
Watch

domainsoup

Established Member
Impact
Been in the domain game for a while now.
People are sold the idea that getting the right domain can make them a lot of money. This idea is largely false as the majority of good domains have already been registered. People get lucky very rarely with a handregistration. The success stories are told over and over. But for each one there are hundreds of thousands of ones that go nowhere.

OK now on to how else to get a good domain. Drops and expired auctions. Entire industries have been setup for this. But guess who makes the most money on this? The companies that sell peoples expired domains after collecting renewal fees (double dipping). The auctions are either inflated or not representative of the actual price. There have been many times I've purchased at auction at domain with like 200 bids and sold for 800+. Then you list it on Sedo. And you get people offering maximum $100 paid. Most times these people cancel the negotiations even if you price it at 1000. So 20 bidders bid a domain up to 800 at auction. And the most you are offered is 1/8th of it? Companies like Godaddy are making a killing. I don't know if they are shill bidding but someone is willing to pay 790 at auction. But no one is willing to pay more after?

Domaining is largely a pyramid scheme. Why? Because the people that make the money have largely all been decided. There will always be success stories. But the majority of people who enter it fail. The big companies make all the money. And they sucker the average joe into believing a dream that doesn't exist.

It's like a lottery. The guy with the winning numbers is happy. But everyone else loses. Yet people get hope because of the story of the guy who won.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Still I believe in domaining. :) .Only hand-reg and drop catch are not the parts of domain name business.In short, reselling, holding, flipping, bargaining are some the attractions in this industry.

•••
So the broke college student investment budget that I have in domaining is going to go all to waste? I think I'm going to get a domain with a lot of Q's and start crying.

•••
•••
How are you with your domaining?

Id say if you have a good amount of money and some knowledge starting up , you are likelier to make some money.

It is definitely no pyramid scheme, but it is not for everybody.

•••
Joined today....first post is like this.

Good luck.

Don't rub your ignorance and lack of knowledge with all domainers.

•••
I too would agree with @domainsoup that this is nothing but a pyramid. When you have aged domains, they say keyword domains so you go ahead and buy aged keyword domains, they say numerics are the rage, when you have numerics they say LLLs are the craze, and when you buy that they say oh but not to my liking and you are the last man standing with the domain. I personally have a strong feeling that this is nothing but a way to get new users to enter the domaining world and then you are stuck with all kinds of domains and no one ready to buy it even for $XX! What do you think in such a stage?

•••
hey domainsoup your whole life, society, and this whole world is a pyramid

so maybe u shouldn't be so shocked about your great little discovery and just do your best to get to top of it

heh.

•••
I don't think that those who will succeed are decided in advance ; skills, intuition, research, networking play a major role in success or failure but the more money you have to invest the bigger the chances are for you to make money.

I disagree with domaining being a pyramid scheme even though I understand that seeing how many domains are sold from domainer to domainer to domainer can bring to that association and I have always thought that our industry is mainly made of investors.

Do I think it is an opportunity equalizer? No I don't but you can still make a decent ( extra ) income with it.

•••
all the good names are regged? lots of 4L chips were in expired lists last year. if you bought 500 for $20 each. you would have become a millionaire today if you held them for 1 year. there is lots of opportunities in this business. But you can think your way

•••
not sure about this but some days in future it will happen.

•••
this is horseshit .....if your not making money in this business you obviously are doing something wrong... maybe your not working hard enough... maybe you have bad taste in domains.... but to call domaining a pyramid scyme is just bs! i been only doing this a year and im making money! nothing was decied for me....theres no magic cloud of smoke man.. just A LOT OF HARD WORK..no one held my hand and taught me a dam thing!!!

read study learn! read some more! learn some more! find out why this sold for what it did! figure out how to find deals. Mine! Mine more and more!!!! learn to negotiate. understand the niche you dive into! understand it like it was you bible! i bust my ass to get to where i'm at..
DID YOU???????

Last edited:
•••
@imadoer - Yes some people do make money out of domaining and thats great. But to the rest of us in the industry - when we try to sell it - we dont find any users and its usually through some intermediate - who wants to get the domain cheap and then earn money by reselling it at a higher price. I have posted numerous keyword domains - aged domains - but most are interested in paying you say low rates - say $1~$10. Once in a while you may be lucky enough to get some rare offer at a higher price but all these are reseller rates. So in the end say me having around 100 domains each year am just paying renewal fees and developing a domain at a time. Have tried listing on @FlippaDomains / @NamePros and each time its all low low offers in the above range I mentioned. And suddenly you hear some odd domain being sold at XXXX rates makes me really wonder if really domains sell! Actually I even have my signature with the same line - Do Domains Sell? I don't think so! When users here talk of big numbers my only message has been - I have many keyword domains - sell me one domain I have and take a percentage out of it - and you wont believe no one has ever responded to that!

•••
this is horsesh*t .....if your not making money in this business you obviously are doing something wrong... maybe your not working hard enough... maybe you have bad taste in domains.... but to call domaining a pyramid scyme is just bs! i been only doing this a year and im making money! nothing was decied for me....theres no magic cloud of smoke man.. just A LOT OF HARD WORK..no one held my hand and taught me a dam thing!!!

read study learn! read some more! learn some more! find out why this sold for what it did! figure out how to find deals. Mine! Mine more and more!!!! learn to negotiate. understand the niche you dive into! understand it like it was you bible! i bust my ass to get to where i'm at..
DID YOU???????

Amen Brother!

•••
I wouldn't say it's a pyramid scheme.

You have to have enough money to buy domains and even more money to renew them year by year. I see it oh so many times on NP people selling too soon because they need money to pay renewals or more domain purchases.

If you've invested wisely and sell at the right time you seriously can become a millionaire. All the answers to your success are written on NP.

Read>Learn>Buy low>Slow sell high>Renew>Sell fast when the price is high.

Good luck everybody!

•••
@imadoer - Yes some people do make money out of domaining and thats great. But to the rest of us in the industry - when we try to sell it - we dont find any users and its usually through some intermediate - who wants to get the domain cheap and then earn money by reselling it at a higher price. I have posted numerous keyword domains - aged domains - but most are interested in paying you say low rates - say $1~$10. Once in a while you may be lucky enough to get some rare offer at a higher price but all these are reseller rates. So in the end say me having around 100 domains each year am just paying renewal fees and developing a domain at a time. Have tried listing on @FlippaDomains / @NamePros and each time its all low low offers in the above range I mentioned. And suddenly you hear some odd domain being sold at XXXX rates makes me really wonder if really domains sell! Actually I even have my signature with the same line - Do Domains Sell? I don't think so! When users here talk of big numbers my only message has been - I have many keyword domains - sell me one domain I have and take a percentage out of it - and you wont believe no one has ever responded to that!

You may need to rethink your game.
If you have good names, you will make money. If your names are lousy, you will make nothing.

As for keyword domains, if you have bankloans.com, vegashotels.com, dogtraining.com, you will make money, good money.

•••
I'm a beginner and use my spare time engaging in domaing.

I noted a very good side effect... my so-so English is improving day by day. Anyway, at least, I gain something! :xf.wink:

•••
Domaining is a business. You know, in most businesses that have a low entry cost, the majority of companies fail. Nothing different here.

•••
Off topic, but I will say that the business model of the domain name for the registry is very clever. Domain names are rented, and if the renewal fee is not paid then the domain is not yours anymore. Very lucrative model.

However, with what you say I disagree. If you put hard work into domaining and understand things like what makes a good brand name, what is on trend, future trends etc you can do very well. It is not something you will learn in one year, let alone one day.

•••
Many good points from all sides :)
However I agree and disagree with this:
It's like a lottery. The guy with the winning numbers is happy. But everyone else loses. Yet people get hope because of the story of the guy who won.
Domaining is not a lottery, even though this is the belief of many people. You have to get quality inventory, and for this you will pay the price, because it takes money to make money.
But it is true that the reported sales can suggest a distorted view of reality. The majority of domainers are dreamers.

However, the pyramid scheme label is valid to some extent. When domainers are offloading domains to other domainers, or when the registries (aka the new domainers) are selling extensions whose merits are debatable. It's pyramid and possibly Ponzi.

Bottom line:
Domaining is a real business. Every industry has its own share of pitfalls and crooks. But domaining is barely regulated.
Domaining is more art than science too, so not everybody can do it.
Domaining is hard.

•••
They don't want you to win, so we gonna win some more.

Bless up.

•••
They say that during a gold rush the smart man sells the shovels.

@domainsoup, I think the issues you have with domaining have to do with the above statement - the smart guys are those providing services (the Registrars, the Auction houses, the valuators, etc) and there's nothing wrong with that - they are just making money off the most profitable part of the value chain.

Like any gold rush there will always be the people duped by "fool's gold" (ie bad domain names and misguided trends (like all the people buying up VR and marijuana names now thinking they'll retire off those names:xf.wink:)). The fact that fool's gold may sell for $800 on Flippa and then for nothing on Sedo only speaks to the buyer's lack of knowledge and not the corruption of the market as a whole. Also - side note - I think you described a ponzi scheme, not a pyramid scheme. ;)

The truly important thing is that there IS gold in domaining and if you learn where the value is (which is something that is greatly misunderstood) you'll hit pay dirt. If not, you'll keep regging terrible names and losing your socks on auction fees and renewals.

•••
@imadoerwhen we try to sell it - we dont find any users and its usually through some intermediate - who wants to get the domain cheap and then earn money by reselling it at a higher price

So YOU find the end users who are buying it at the higher price. If the 'intermediate' can find them, they are there. It's really that simple.

•••
•••
People who got in early in any business made a lot of easy cash. I love comparing domaining to prospecting for gold. The ones who dug early got all the "low hanging fruit" the ones who got in late will have to be resourceful and not dig in sunny California but in bitter cold Alaska or underwater. They will have to wait for prices of gold to jump or find new ways to get gold. They will have to salvage gold from computer circuits and cigarette box papers and what not.

There is no way to do easy gold prospecting today. The same rings true for domain investing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back