IT.COM

discuss Is domaining a portfolio game?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I have been thinking and reviewing things and I realised that a lot of times, domaining looks like a portfolio game to me - of course, a decent one.

Even a hand registered portfolio of say, a 250 domain name portfolio with 3% sale at $6 a name would have an investment of $1500 and 8 domain sale of say $700 each amounting to $5,600
Accordingly, the numbers may adjust as we scale up. But when I look at appraisals section with individual domains, a single domain may not make sense a lot of times.

Like say, a single decent .CO domain may not have value individually but if you own 200 of them, price it in $1000 range and expect a 2% sale, that may make more sense.

A portfolio game looks like a decent game in domaining.
What is your thought on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No.

"A single Domain can change your Life!" - Frank Schilling
You are quoting somebody who own tens of thousands of domains. So, the correct quote will be- a single domain can change your life, if you own tens of thousands of domains, to make sure the life changer domain will be among the one's you own.

•••
There are many different business models, but there is certainly merit to the power of a portfolio.

Having a lot of quality domains can certainly help overcome a low turnover rate.

Brad

•••
No.

•••
This is very interesting. Unlike a lot of domainers, my portfolio is very small. I have around 50 domains (to be honest I had even less but I am using some registrar credits to purchase here and there). However, I have invested $XX,XXX in premium names instead. So far my total profit since starting in 2017 is in the mid $XX,XXX range and I still have a couple of premium domain names that are worth $XX,XXX - $XXX,XXX ($X,XXX,XXX to the right buyer). The cost is the yearly reg fee. For 50 domains that is only $450 or so a year.

So my strategy is different. I keep my portfolio very strong and very slim. Kind of like a marathon runner - and like a marathon the completion of the race will take a lot longer but the reward can be much greater.

Also, to add, this works for me because I do this as a side hustle and therefore keeping a small very strong portfolio is easier to manage and maintain. I know there is value in the names I hold and therefore I will renew indefinitely without a huge cost of holding. This won't work for everyone and if you are a full time domainer you may make more money holding a large profiterole.

Edit: I meant profit not profiterole (autocorrect :facepalm:)

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I think it's not a number game but a rather quality game. The better name you have chances of a sale grow.

•••
No.

he is talking to end-users
and try to convince them by that phrase

•••
I personally would prefer to be in the position of @Arfy - owning a small portfolio of high quality names. Less risk, more long-term profit, and more liquidity. This is the way to go. The biggest issue for me is in finding high quality names at a price that I'm willing to pay. Being able to do so is a major advantage in this industry, and a very important skill set to develop if you want to reach the next level of success beyond just making a little money.

Yes, that is a major issue.

Unless you have a ridiculous budget, the more domains you own the lower the average quality is going to be.

I know people that have a low number of high quality domains. It might sound great on paper, but it can also lead to basically a dead end with no cash flow.

There is certainly a balance between quality and quantity though.

Brad

•••
I have been thinking and reviewing things and I realised that a lot of times, domaining looks like a portfolio game to me - of course, a decent one.

Even a hand registered portfolio of say, a 250 domain name portfolio with 3% sale at $6 a name would have an investment of $1500 and 8 domain sale of say $700 each amounting to $5,600
Accordingly, the numbers may adjust as we scale up. But when I look at appraisals section with individual domains, a single domain may not make sense a lot of times.

Like say, a single decent .CO domain may not have value individually but if you own 200 of them, price it in $1000 range and expect a 2% sale, that may make more sense.

Yes, it's definitely a numbers game. But it's actually (sort of a rough formula):

Profitability= P x (V-C) x S =

= Portfolio size x (Domain Avg. Sales Value - Domain Avg. Cost) x Sales%

Each factor matters. The last two are critical. Sales% is that 1% or 2% sales factor per annum mentioned by every domainer. It is very much a composite variable, influenced by several factors, such as the quality of domains primarily.

But I'd say that the most important sub-factor in this formula is often disregarded: Trends. It really matters if the domain you have are on top of the current trend wave. Which also means that many names in portfolio might go out of fashion in a couple years.

It is also critical that you have a varied, multi-niche portfolio where every niche has money to be made in. In this way you don't put all eggs in one basket, it's a sane profile.

Edit: Newbies ask this question often, how much money you need to have to become a successful domainer. It obviously depends. However sort of a common answer is, as much as needed to hold > 1K domains. Guess that's sort of an indicator of size that might make it a business instead of a hit and miss thing. Personally I'm at 2.5K names today, and intend to grow to 25K as there is the earning level I aim for.

Last edited:
•••
If anything, it is "optimal portfolio management" game imho. Because it is what good domaining is about:

Dropping bad domains (even if >regfee were paid) and potential trademarks. Periodical portfolio revision and restructurization, such as dropping or decreasing prices on some domains which, while may still be good for some, do not fit the current portfolio development scenario. Not bidding on own dropped domains after deletion ;) - this happens. Periodical revision of marketplaces like dynadot - namesilo - godaddy auctions - there are, and frequently, BIN deals in $50-$200 range from domainers who are simply restructurizing their portfolios, and really perfect domains can be found. Should they drop - the prices on dropcatch etc will be higher. Strange, but it is a fact. Many prefer to overpay for dropping domain instead of tracking marketplaces before the drop. It is not optimal portfolio management. Also, checking social and technological trends is important. Not only for handregs. Sometimes, it would be wise to withdraw this or that domain from sale - if there is enough evidence that it can be priced higher in future.

... just a few ideas :) Right for Saturday evening...

•••

Two words

Huge Domains

•••
I think @Arpit131 has a completely valid point. Although I am very skeptical that any old portfolio of names could be profitable. If that were the case, all domainers would be making money, and we know that the majority are not.

However, if you have developed the skill of buying decent quality, low-cost names, then yes I completely agree that a larger portfolio should amount to higher and more consistent (i.e. less variable) profits.

I personally would prefer to be in the position of @Arfy - owning a small portfolio of high quality names. Less risk, more long-term profit, and more liquidity. This is the way to go. The biggest issue for me is in finding high quality names at a price that I'm willing to pay. Being able to do so is a major advantage in this industry, and a very important skill set to develop if you want to reach the next level of success beyond just making a little money.

•••
I'm curious if you have tried counting the STR only for domains acquired under a year, if it still goes over 1%...it will be great if it does. I know that you have some good domains acquired over the years and for good money, so they could make most of the percentage from that STR, but I could be wrong.

I wish it was that easy. Regardless of the quality, names require aging within your portfolio. Most sales happen for names that have been in your portfolio for 3+ years. They need the same exposure over long time often.

What you can do however is to put the names in different baskets by acquisition cost.

For expensive names, it is higher sales price, less renewals, but also higher investment upfront. So your return on investment, if done right, will be similar to the ones cheaply acquired.

•••
An understanding of business culture (country, region, city, industry, niche, innovation, etc) is essential for effective sales (1000 dn, 50-100 prospects, 10 sales). Once you understand that, you can start reg. names and build an impressive (for end-users) portfolio.

Regards

•••
Even in the same portfolio you might need to use different strategies for different class of domains, any experienced domainer will tell you that the first thing that you need to do is to divide your portfolio into several sub categories. At the minimum you should have three categories,

The first category should be your premium domains, these are the domains that you usually renew several years in advance and that you plan on holding on to on a long term basis, for smaller portfolios of around 500 domains this might comprise 10% of your portfolio, but as your portfolio gets bigger this percentage can drop drastically to the point that it might be in the low single digits and perhaps it can drop to less than 1% on a portfolio of over 50k domains. In another words the larger your portfolio gets the more diluted it will become as far as quality is concerned. There might be some exceptions for those who were able to create their portfolio 10 to 20 years ago, but even then it was difficult to get many premium domains and so these portfolios became stronger and more valuable by focusing more on the next category of domains as described below.

The second category should be your above average to good domains. For most portfolios this is the biggest category, and as a portfolio grows to become larger this is the category that most probably will get bigger. So when you are thinking of creating a very large portfolio most of your domains might fall under this category provided that you are very skilled domainer and that you have above average luck in beating everyone else to the good domains that everyone seems to be fighting over on the drops and auctions.

The third category should be the domains that you are not planning to renew past their expiration date and that are going to be dropped as you prune and upgrade your portfolio. For very large portfolios of over 100k domains this might become a considerable portion of the portfolio as domains are tasted for a year or two and then dropped if they don't perform.

* Different portfolios might behave differently, and numbers indicated might vary to some extent depending on when and how a portfolio has been created.

IMO

•••
There are many different business models, but there is certainly merit to the power of a portfolio.
I agree with Brad's view. Most prefer to hold a reasonable sized portfolio of quality names to keep a slow but steady stream of sales.

That is not to say that you could not take the approach instead of a portfolio just have several domains at a time and work on selling them before you get others. That is perhaps more a flipper than an investor.

There are as Brad says many different models, so I don't see a single "right" answer to the question posed in this thread.

Bob

•••
For small portfolios of less than 250 domains quality is the most important factor, as the portfolio gets larger then it becomes more of a numbers game as it is close to impossible to maintain high quality across a very large portfolio.

IMO

•••
I think the OP is getting a bit at different angle, more philosophical than anything.

He is saying, I think, that we often label a name "bad" in appraisals, but 100 "bad" names of the same type, could represent a good investment, because you might be making 1 sale a year that will pay off the investment, the renewals and provide profit. Even without discounts, you could spend $850 on 100 regs, and earn $1500 revenue after commission - $850 for renewal and restock = $650/year for years to come, vs paying $850 for a great name, then maybe waiting 1 to 100 years for a $8,500 one time sale.

•••

You know the people who have been making repeated domain sales for many years, and continue to do so, have been proven wrong over and over.

Brad

•••
How?.....LMAO:ROFL: Let me count the ways:xf.wink: First they told me I couldn't revolutionize golf and I did, then they told me I couldn't revolutionize domaining (Sp), and I'm doing it:xf.smile: By all counts I should be down and out, but Verisign breathed life into this old guy here; https://blog.verisign.com/domain-na...om-price-caps-were-passed-along-to-consumers/

Joe...I may be bad for your business, but there are others besides you and Brad. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't "Make Something Happen" my way!
Rich, most of us live in a world where things don't happen just because you say they did.

Now please stop hijacking the OP's thread just to pump your own tires.

•••
I wish it was that easy. Regardless of the quality, names require aging within your portfolio. Most sales happen for names that have been in your portfolio for 3+ years. They need the same exposure over long time often.

What you can do however is to put the names in different baskets by acquisition cost.

For expensive names, it is higher sales price, less renewals, but also higher investment upfront. So your return on investment, if done right, will be similar to the ones cheaply acquired.

I mainly sell domains that I own for 5 to 10 years

•••
Regarding portfolio building strategies - let's not to miss the model of hand regs without renewals. If domain does not sell during 13 month - just let it go and hand reg another. For me it worked for non-.com extensions.
I think this can be a good method for those who are still learning. If you're not sure a hand regged domain is good enough to hold, by all means save yourself some money and drop it after a year.

However, once you become more confident in your name selection skills, you should only be buying names that you're willing to hold long-term (or at least until you see that a particular trend is dying out).

Last edited:
•••
I could be wrong in my calculation, correct me if I'm wrong. If somebody will start now to build a portfolio of 25k, at least medium quality domains, it should be either closeouts or cheaper auctions, so a $30 on average could do it? So that means a 750k investment upfront+ 1st year renewal, 225k+2 year renewal, 225k +3rd year renewal, 225k, so that means something like a 1.75 million investment in the first 3 years without making any money or maybe just a small %. With the forth year, let's say you will make 1% STR , with 2k average, that means 500k minus 225k renewal, so 275K profit just for year 4, but overall over 1 million less, after 4 years. If you go ahead, the first year that you break even will be the 8th year and after 12 years or so you could double your money, not counting your time spent. I don't have 1.3 million $, but I don't think that I will be happy to double it in 12 years.

@boker .. No .. if you aren't hitting your target STR (1% in this case) on the portion of your domains that you've held at least one year, then you're getting the wrong domains. If your target is 1% STR, and you're you're growing your portfolio at an steady pace (more or less same number of domains per month), then even your first year you should have a 0.5% STR because in theory you'd have held all your domains an average of 6 months (1% STR x 0.5 years = 0.5% STR/Yr).

That being said .. obviously the domains you acquire during your first year will be weaker than your latest year, but if you blow your $$ and you've acquired 25k domains in your first year and not getting your needed STR by the end of the following year, then you're in serious serious trouble.

Here's more reasonable math for you using the same expectations that you gave. Let's say you're want to hit 25k domains in 5 years with mostly closeout and low bid expired domains .. acquiring a steady 5k domains per year.

Assuming avg $30 cost (including y0 renewal if applicable) and average STR of 1% and avg sale of $2k.

Every year you acq 5k domains @ $30 avg acq = $150k cost, w/ STR or 0.5% = $50k in sales

For there every year all existing domains get 1% STR with a $10 average cost (renewal). With these domains your costs are $50k * # of years and your profits are $100k * # of years.

This would be what your annual profits would be:

Y1) -$100k
Y2) -$50k
Y3) +$0k
Y4) +$50k
Y5) +$100k

So in theory you should have broken even by the end of your 5th year.

Then at the end of your 6th year you'll have profited $150k (for a running total of also $150k)

At the end of your 7th year you'd have a running total of $350k, Y8 a running total of $600k.

By the end of your 10th full year you'd now have 50k domains and running total profit of $1.25M, and you'd have profited $350k that year.

That being said, I think acquiring 5k domains per year is a little aggressive, but at $30 acq, it's not impossible. The real key is to maintain the 1% STR quality. Which is easier said than done. *IF* you know what you're doing, then it's doable. If you're prepared to acquire fewer domains, then your avg acquisition price will likely go down and your avg sales price will go up a bit because in theory you'd acquire the best of the 5000.

So basically if you halved those numbers, you'd actually have a much higher chance of getting half the results.

The real number you want to hit is a combined 100x your acquisition cost when you factor both STR and Avg Markup together.

So if your average acquisition price is $25, then you're hopefully selling 1% of your domains a year at $2,500. But if you sell them higher then you're ok with a lower sell-through. Like if your average sale was $5k, then you're fine with a 0.5% sell-through.

As long as you're hitting that magic 100x, then you're never really losing money after a year on the domains you bought 1 or more years before. More importantly, with your renewals costing 40% of acquisitions, this is where you'll find your long term profits as more and more of your portfolio has been held by you for over a year.

Keep in mind .. there's no interest or inflation in my calculations.

Also, I use $10 for average renewal because it's an easy number, and most domainers should not be paying more than $8.5 renewals for .com domains. So at $10/domain it's a pretty typical domainer portfolio with mostly .com domains, and a handful of .co, .io or .tv (etc) with renewals well above $10.

MOST IMPORTANTLY .. remember that most new domainers do NOT succeed in hitting 1%. Yes there's a noticeable portion of people here on NamePros who do .. but remember that the average "active NamePros poster" is losing money .. and even worse .. the average "active NamePros poster" actually does better than the industry average when considering the majority of people who quit domaining by the time their first renewal cycle hits.

Hope that all made sense! :)

Last edited:
•••

Portfolio equals more fishing lines in the lake which can be useful if those lines/sales pages lead back to your own domain sales site but I still feel quality trumps all. I've worked with various smaller portfolios like you mention in the 100-500+ domain quantity range over the last 17 years and I've seen that most offers come in on the top quality domains in the portfolio and the others very rarely get offers. Portfolio I'm working on now contains 460 domains primarily .com handregs from years ago with most offers rolling in on the same usual suspects that are higher in quality. Last 2 sales on this portfolio brought in 32k which isn't bad considering whole portfolio like 4k year to renew but as the gems get sold offer frequency decreases so ya gotta capitalize on the gem sales as the lower end names might never see much in terms of offers.

•••
Personally I'm at 2.5K names today, and intend to grow to 25K as there is the earning level I aim for.
At this point in the game, unless you plan to buy some established portfolios, this could be a bottomless money pit plan.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back