IT.COM

Is cPanel best for a Newb. Are there good alternatives?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The only - and very limited - hosting control panel I have any experience with is 1and1. I used it a handful of times while helping a friend out with some HTML testing. I have so little experience here that I don't even know if 1and1 uses cPanel.

I hear about cPanel alot and the consensus seams to be that its the best control panel? (easiest to use)

- Is that correct? Why?

- Are there better alternatives? If so, what are they and who has them? (and why?)

This is another loaded question from a rookie, so please excuse the ignorance and thank you in advance for reviewing and helping!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
cPanel is the most common. Although IMHO Direct Admin is best for people creating there first site. (assumnig you have some coding knowledge.)

If you have no clue what your doing I suggest freewebs.com they have a great builder.

•••
The only - and very limited - hosting control panel I have any experience with is 1and1. I used it a handful of times while helping a friend out with some HTML testing. I have so little experience here that I don't even know if 1and1 uses cPanel.

I hear about cPanel alot and the consensus seams to be that its the best control panel? (easiest to use)

- Is that correct? Why?

- Are there better alternatives? If so, what are they and who has them? (and why?)

This is another loaded question from a rookie, so please excuse the ignorance and thank you in advance for reviewing and helping!

I think that cPanel is a good choice for those new to website hosting and development. cPanel is very user-oriented, and you can get "the hang of it" fairly quickly. Additionally, there is a vast amount of documentation available.

Particularly with the newer versions the software has many built in tutorials and walk-through information available. Almost every page has descriptive information informing you of the purpose of each function and how to use it.

•••
Cpanel is used and trusted. Major web hosting companies use that

•••
cpanel is loaded with lots of stuff for someone who's starting out. it's pretty easy to use too and quite common, which is good for finding resources or getting help.

•••
Thanks guys. I think that makes my decision alot easier.

•••
I can't say Cpanel is the best control panel. But it is the most commonly used one. And you will get a lot more votes for cpanel. Also most of the providers offer cpanel. As far as I am concerned it is really user friendly panel.

•••
I am in agreement with much of the above. cPanel is the "favorite" for a wide range of reasons with the most notable probably being the number of features. It enables a webmaster/developer to do a lot of things that they might not otherwise know how to do simply by clicking on a few links.

Personally, I'd recommend that you also look at DirectAdmin as another option. The nice thing about DA is that it does not have all of the bloat of cPanel, so it's a great choice for those who don't need all of the features. It's a very good basic control panel for getting the job done quickly and easily, and works great if you mostly interact through FTP or SSH.

•••
Last edited:
•••
cPanel is the most common. Although IMHO Direct Admin is best for people creating there first site. (assumnig you have some coding knowledge.)

If you have no clue what your doing I suggest freewebs.com they have a great builder.
Depends.
I assune that newbies more prefer Cpanel to others control panels

•••
cPanel is more known through out the world. However DirectAdmin I found was alot easier than cPanel when I first started use of each.

•••
The control panel should be comfortable for you as for the end user and that can be any of the existing ones.
Cpanel just more popular

•••
I've been using cPanel for five years now I think. I recently tried a hosting service (out of curiosity) that had a custom panel... I thought my life was going to be over. I couldn't handle breaking routine.

•••
i m setting up my root server and thinking of trying a free open source panel called: SysCP
SysCP - The Open-Source System Control Panel

Cpanel may not be the best for a newbie but its the most used so support can be found everywhere, also keep in mind that if you learn handling your hosting accounts with cpanel then its gonna be hard to use a different panel.

•••
Well, cPanel is the best and easy to use. :)
So, even a newbie should go with it.

- Digital -

•••
There are some other options as well, but still Cpanel is best for newbies, as its interface if user friendly.

•••
I use Cpanel, and I'm looking for reseller hosting, I think I'll get a company that offers cpanel, it's really easy to work with!

•••
I wish I had cPanel at my first web host:). cPanel is the best for newbies.

•••
cPanel is the one and only great stuff for control panel.
even its expensive, but yeah! I like this stuff for sure :)

•••
surely Cpanel is the best control panel to start with its easy to work around.

•••
I wish I had cPanel at my first web host:). cPanel is the best for newbies.

But even beyond novice -- what is really superior, even for us advanced developers?

•••
You will find cPanel will more than meet your needs, and it is offered by virtually every host out there.

•••
Cpanel is the most used control panel in the world and it's also pretty straight forward. Plus there is a lot of tutorials and such on the internet so it's a save bet to go with cpanel

•••
If your host does not have cPanel, it's probably not worth going with them.

•••
cPanel is pretty good, another good control panel would be Direct Admin. Direct Admin is cheaper and does almost everything cPanel can do. I would recommend Direct Admin if you want to save a lot of $$$

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back