Dynadot

poll Is a .COM Bubble Similar to 2000 On The Horizon?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is a .COM Tech Burst On Its Way?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    50.0%
  • No

votes
    30.0%
  • Maybe

vote
    10.0%
  • I like turtles

vote
    10.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
The Nasdaq closed Monday at 5,008.10. It's the index's first taste of the plus-5,000 since the collapse of the tech bubble in 2000.

The largest issue with the tech bubble burst were insane valuations, and IPO launches, for companies that made very little revenue.

Today companies like SnapChat (which has ZERO revenue) are valued at $15bn dollars. How can a company with no revenue, and no revenue plans in sight be valued so highly? 200mil people use the service, but how many will use it when the company starts to implement revenue streams that inconveniences the user.

Would a burst similar to 2000 plummet the .COM resale industry and make room for a the new TLDs?

What are your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Good question. Are companies such as facebook or twitter making enough profit today to justify their current valuations ? The same question was asked about facebook too. I have been wondering too, but I am not good with markets.
I may be missing something.

The only good explanation I have about loss-making social networking sites, is that they get a lot of personal information on their users, thus the ability to accurately 'profile' their users for advertising purposes. In theory the customer base (and data) is worth something, and can be sold like an asset... but generally the idea is to monetize the site through advertising.

That being said, the domain name industry is NOT the only one where there is more money than common sense :roll:

•••
Any stock market selloff/dare say crash, will be more be about the total market moving straight up after 08 (greatly needing a correction) than empty profits tech companys.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back