Domain Empire

discuss Is a booming crypto market good for domain sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The cryptocurrency space has been on fire the last several months. Bitcoin went from under $1000 in March 2017 then up to nearly $5000 in the summer, corrected to under $3000 and at the moment trades over $17,500. Ethereum went from under $20 in March 2017 then up to $400 in June, back down to under $175 and is currently trading over $625. Other cryptocurrencies have seen similar gains.

So as cryptocurrencies are beginning to be viewed as a new asset class, is that good for domains and domain pricing? I am sure I am not the only one on this forum who has experienced the end user only willing to pay $xx for a domain and thinking that anything over low $XXX is usury.

Perhaps now that BTC is trading well into five figures, a $XXXX domain price seems very reasonable by comparison. Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It definitely takes a huge toll on the domain reseller market. Unless your sitting on a whole portfolio of coin domains your definitely going to feel the slowdown.

Felt it already. :-/ But what happens when this crypto bubble pops and that market corrects? Will money flow back in OR will so much money have been lost that it cant flow back in. Thats the question I've been asking myself...

•••
Felt it already. :-/ But what happens when this crypto bubble pops and that market corrects? Will money flow back in OR will so much money have been lost that it cant flow back in. Thats the question I've been asking myself...

If the bubble pops people will go back to safe investments like domain names

•••
Kuffy that you made one 80$ sale from your waste collection of low quality names, does not mean end users want bad domain names. On the contrary there are now so many alternatives to bad names that those local business you dream of selling to have no reason to pay a premium for a bad name, they can just reg one instead. I seem to recall a thread called "I am not doing so well" that made this point exactly.
Reporting one $80 sale doesn't mean that it is the only sale.

The point of the "I'm not doing so well" thread was that around 80% of my names aren't on landers or sales pages, and I hoped to open up some discussion about alternativesto outbound marketing, waiting for offers, or paying for listings on auctin sites. Unfortunatelythe thread got derailed, so I'm having to go my own way.

•••
Long term think Crypto is a waste of time, so with that i wouldn’t go near domains, as people are just going to be left with loads of junk similar to CHIP’s.

I wish i bought some BitCoins early on though, was thinking about it back in 2012. Even though it’s a bubble and short-term thing (according to 95% of market analysts), it’s clear you could have made a lot of ‘real’ money out of it.

It’s just too unpredictable for me to make it investable now though, you can go to bed one night and your BitCoin could be worth $18,000 and wake up and it’s worth nothing – It’s bad enough with the unpredictability of the domains market, but if i got involved in that i wouldn’t sleep at night.

•••
Well there is still a little left of the tax year, so I will ride the alt coin train until then. But yeah would not buy Bitcoin at this point. But why bother last few days; got 80% on LTC 3 days hold, got 65% on XRP 4 day hold and 43% on Ethereum 3 day hold.

Its not investing though. Its gambling. So be aware.

•••
I think there will be a few big sales, but I also have a feeling the market is going to be saturated with bitcoin related names.

•••
(y)

Last edited:
•••
Well there is still a little left of the tax year, so I will ride the alt coin train until then. But yeah would not buy Bitcoin at this point. But why bother last few days; got 80% on LTC 3 days hold, got 65% on XRP 4 day hold and 43% on Ethereum 3 day hold.

Its not investing though. Its gambling. So be aware.

NavCoin is something that looks really promising.

•••
NavCoin is something that looks really promising.

OK. Might be good, I like the anonymous ones.. But again its all a game. Bought 100 of them though :)

•••
OK. Might be good, I like the anonymous ones.. But again its all a game. Bought 100 of them though :)

Yes it's speculation, like all investments. But for me it was/is more successful and much easier than selling domains - so far.

This NAV has a good roadmap and seems to have a solid team behind it. They develop interesting features (some private pay mobile app) and something like anonymous smart contracts if I understood it correctly.

•••
Any new market, especially if it's online or tech related, is great for domains. Lots of start ups getting into the coin and crypto space, and established companies creating divisions for the same. In the last week I've had at least two inquiries on crypto and coin domains I registered just this year. One was a $1000 offer and I'd just registered the domain in the last week! I don't know where the crypto market will go, but I bet we will see crypto currencies get embedded into all sorts of technology so that they get easier to use. I just read that eBay is considering accepting bitcoin. I don't think it's something you can ignore, and if it does go mainstream right now it is still early days.

•••
it should be good for domains since the business is online and very trust-dependent, a good domain can give customers confidence

•••
Last edited:
•••
I think it will be good because as more people get into crypto they will also learn more about other store of value elements online like domain names. Like some people learned about crypto by being in the domain business (not me) many will learn about domains by being in the crypto business?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back