NameSilo

.iq will be open for business.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
July 16, 2005

Iraq close to joining world wide web with .iq tag
By Elizabeth Judge

IRAQ is seeking to boost its sovereignty and business credentials by setting up its own internet domain name.

Officials from Baghdad want to claim the .iq tag and are in talks with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann), which assigns internet domain names.

In 1997 when Saddam Hussein was in power and internet access was blocked, the tag was granted to InfoCo, a Texas company that sold computers in the Middle East.

However, last year the company and the five Palestinian brothers running it were convicted of falsifying documents and making illegal shipments of computer equipment to countries the US says are sponsors of terrorism.

It is understood that, after the War in Iraq, Icann felt that the country was too unstable to take the “iq” name which it says is a “top level domain”.

But after talks with Icann Iraq is confident of claiming the name within weeks.

The country’s case has been helped by the intervention of Paul Bremer, former head of the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority.

In April last year he told Icann that returning “iq” to Iraqis would “signal to investors that Iraq is rebuilding for a high-tech future”.

Iraq’s National Communication and Media Commission is about to announce the auction of at least three mobile phone licences. Next week it is to hold a mobile telecoms conference in London to drum up interest for the licences, which will replace licences issued by the occupation authority in 2003.

At present, only 3 per cent of the country’s 26 million people have fixed landlines and about 1.8 million people have mobile phones.

Analysts estimated that within three years the number of people with mobile phones will have risen by five million.

London Times 16th July 2005

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So more people have cell phones than land lines in Iraq? Yeah, maybe because we keep knocking them all out :)

•••
I'm waiting for it to be approved, but I will even say my favorite domain name here only because someone will beat me to it no matter what I do. iq.iq.

•••
Is it possible to buy myiq.iq?
i mean the IQ-Intelligence quotient......

•••
I meant the same thing with my post, but I just posted the most obvious, and you probably have to have serious connections to get the one I posted. iq.iq.

•••
deu12000 said:
I meant the same thing with my post, but I just posted the most obvious, and you probably have to have serious connections to get the one I posted. iq.iq.
yes, those are hard to get without CONNECTIONS

•••
•••
•••
maby everyone can pitch in and buy an iraqui dollar store in iraq that sells everything, then we could register what we please.

Just an idea

•••
'your.iq' is a dream domain name for an English language IQ test website yet the name would be meaningless to the vast majority of iraqis. If it were available to foreigners there is no guarantee it would be used for such a site and might resolve to a search page. Surely, the registry could make a significant amount of money by opening the .iq extension to English language registrations by foreigners while the iraqis have exclusive use arablic characters.

Just an idea.

•••
they could have made a lot of money with them if they were public

•••
first of all, most iraqis dont have internet access, so companies would'nt exactly be rushing to buy the domain names, unless their products are marketed to abroad which would mean they probably already own a established domain.com or .net by now!

I don't belive it, icann thinks iraq is "stable" enough now even though in the past 48 hours 150 died!

Right now its pointless till they get the phone lines back working, btw, internet cafes are a big suicide bombing or bomb target in iraq now days after the police stations, alot of hard line iraqis think the internet is a scource evil, which i must admit is in some contexts.

So most internet cafes belive it or not are empty or shut, most homes have VERY unreliable electricity, the power just goes out for hours sometimes without notice, the phone lines are not relaible. Not to mention most can't afford the internet. At this current "unstable" time i think the last thing on a iraqi's mind must be checking for a domain name, or going on a iraqi company site to order something.

Anyhow, when ever it does get open to iraqi citizens (civilians) i have links there (my cousines live there) and can get domains for people who want them.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back