iOS vs. Android

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jdab

Jamie DąbrowieckiTop Member
Impact
What's your favourite; iOS or Android?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Android for power and flexibility.

iOS for a pleasurable experience and sufficient power.

Google still has a long way to go before it can compete aesthetically with Apple, but they'll get there. It's inevitable.

•••
•••
I'm nearsighted, yet I still can't see individual pixels on my 1080p Nexus 5, no matter how close it is to my face. I can definitely see them on my family's iPhones, though. Retina my foot.

•••
•••
Just upgraded my phone to Sony XPeria z2 and it's Android for the win with that one. Sound is awesome with left and right forward facing speakers... not to mention that you can shoot in 4K video, etc. I could go on and on about what I love about the phone, also mentioning that it's a 2.4ghz quad-core processor which will have enough power for quite some time.

Was about to get the HTC One (I believe) that has Beats Audio because it had the forward speakers which isn't on any phone except the newly introduced Sony that has way more beef than the HTC (I think that model is like 2 years old). However, with the sale of BA to Apple, I'm sure it'll be "unsupported" in future updates on that phone, somehow.

With the Sony, it works with all their high end stereo equipment and TV's... also acts as a PlayStation controller. Sony introducing this phone on the market is going to be a huge plus for them as it will work with all their other failing products (especially televisions, etc.).

I will always be an Android fan. Simply put, because you need to jailbreak an iPhone to add a torrent client. I have TTorrent Pro for my phone to download important documents. Torrent clients are prohibited to be sold on iTunes/Store/whatever.

Last edited:
•••
I used to be an Android user but since I started working at a repair shop that only deals with Apple products I basically evolved into an Apple...lol

I like how I can integrate all my devices smoothly and without the headache.

At times I found myself googling more than what I'm suppose to when I'm on an Android device.

•••
I like how I can integrate all my devices smoothly and without the headache.

I think that's the approach Sony took with the new phone since it has Walkman (comparable to Beats Music), can integrate with some bracelet thing that tracks your sleep patterns, etc. remotes for Sony everything, etc. etc.

Apple has a lot of products as well and they all integrate the same. However, they don't have high end stereo equipment, TV's, PS4, etc. which this can control and interact with.

Both look like they have their perks. It's just the question: are you an Apple user or an Android user? It's opinionated as I do have an iPod Video circa 2006 that still works. However, I don't put music or videos on it anymore because iTunes takes forever to add an MP3, let alone a video.

•••
Neither..... Windows Phones and Surface ....

iPhones are an overpriced piece of you know what.. Everyone I've had broke....

Andriod - (Google is watching you)

imo

•••

Apple crosses the line when they will allow law enforcement to disable your video and Wi-Fi so you can't capture and upload video (until they break your phone) what happens during an incident of police brutality and/or them breaking the law and not upholding their Constitutional oath. This type of functionality would allow iPhone users to lose every federal, state or civil case against law enforcement agencies or cases in traffic court.

You don't think Apple and Microsoft are collecting data as well?

http://news.techeye.net/security/ap...cops-switch-off-iphone-video-camera-and-wi-fi

•••
It's just the question: are you an Apple user or an Android user?

I am an Apple User.

I believe that there are tons of products that integrate with Apple's iOS.

If you are talking about Fitness & Sport or Speakers the list is short but it is strong.

I have an Xbox One and I still haven't found any reason why I need to control it with my iPhone.

The accessories on Apple products are a lot more expensive than the ones with Android. I rather pay a little bit more on something then investing in Advil.

Sony, Microsoft, HTC, Blackberry - They all don't have a chance.

Samsung is strong but I believe it doesn't compete with Apple IMO

All phones break
Google is watching, Apple is watching, everyone is watching. We are in 2014 and theres not much we can do about it. We are stuck in world where everyone is watching.

Apple crosses the line when they will allow law enforcement to disable your video and Wi-Fi so you can't capture and upload video (until they break your phone) what happens during an incident of police brutality and/or them breaking the law and not upholding their Constitutional oath. This type of functionality would allow iPhone users to lose every federal, state or civil case against law enforcement agencies or cases in traffic court.

http://news.techeye.net/security/ap...cops-switch-off-iphone-video-camera-and-wi-fi

They are all collecting and harvesting data. Theres not much we can do about it.

Last edited:
•••
I held back from getting a smartphone for years. You have to take the battery out to disable it.

I don't like iphones as I am not an apple fanboy. iOS is lagging behind - the attitude of icons is just so dated. I probably would have got an iphone when they first came out if I wanted a smartphone in all honesty. They weren't too bad.

Now, Apple isn't making such an innovative product... they have a game plan for the next 5 years... no smartphone is cutting edge granted... but for example Samsung don't hold back trying to stick loads of gimmicks into their phones... they don't divide them up over several product releases. I don't like the overpriced accessories either. Don't get me started on the next industry move of having a 64bit processor.. why?!

Windows Phone is exceptional... no icons, but tiles! Its the future... its beautiful and engaging, however, it has a very long way to go. In a couple of years it might be the one for everyone to get.

Android... this is my default favourite..for now, I have a samsung note 3 smartphone with Android. I like the widgets. I hate the fact Google doesn't check apps, I hate Google wanting to track me always and everything is adverts (i.e. the reason Google entered the market). Unlike iOS there is a lack of decent apps. Too much FREEEEEEEEE apps, that you have to pay a grand to do well in. I liked the whole buy the app for a fiver to have forever without needing to pay for upgrades approach... seems hardly anyone is interested in this old-fashioned away anymore. Many apps are wrappers for a flash game or web browser.

I am tempted to replace stock Android - this is the way forward for Android. Its an open source project (despite Google buying it) so a manufacturer should choose to ship with an alternative android.

•••

Don't forget Apple is doing the whole gold rush of patents. The reason behind this is to prevent any new businesses entering the arena and innovating. By doing this, anyone remotely doing something similar, will be sued by the super brand. This is to prevent them dying off, as their iOS is aging and losing marketshare in the mobile arena.

Its anti-competitive. Did you know Apple patented a way to disable your iphones screen when driving? In order to do this, the car has to have sensors installed (I assume if it was to materialize it would have to go in all new cars, which is a bit of a tall order) which enables the phone to recognise if you are in the driving seat. The concept is safer driving, preventing distractions and the like, but doesn't stop a driver bending over into the passenger seat to use their phone - and potentially even if the phone is on the dashboard or mounted to the windscreen. In effect its an invention which doesn't solve a problem... forcing people to be more dangerous than using their phone traditionally, and can be avoided by not using a car with the technology installed or I assume... taking out a fuse.

•••
Windows Phone is exceptional... no icons, but tiles! Its the future... its beautiful and engaging, however, it has a very long way to go. In a couple of years it might be the one for everyone to get.

I had to set my wife's phone up without icons. She doesn't get it. It's like my first cell phone, text only and up/down/click.

Android... this is my default favourite..for now, I have a samsung note 3 smartphone with Android. I like the widgets. I hate the fact Google doesn't check apps, I hate Google wanting to track me always and everything is adverts (i.e. the reason Google entered the market). Unlike iOS there is a lack of decent apps. Too much FREEEEEEEEE apps, that you have to pay a grand to do well in. I liked the whole buy the app for a fiver to have forever without needing to pay for upgrades approach... seems hardly anyone is interested in this old-fashioned away anymore. Many apps are wrappers for a flash game or web browser.

I am tempted to replace stock Android - this is the way forward for Android. Its an open source project (despite Google buying it) so a manufacturer should choose to ship with an alternative android.

The only thing I hate about Android, manufacturers and carriers is that they're allowed to put so much god damn bloat on your phone. You have no option but to keep it, taking up ROM. Sure, you can disable the applications... but they're still there. Just let me uninstall them and install them if I need them. I have a lot of Japanese apps that I disabled cause I have no idea what they do, but they are just disabled until I can learn to read Kanji.

As far as manufacturers go, they stick a bunch of their own crap on there.

I want to boot into an Android phone with just that: ANDROID & PLAY STORE. Let me pick what I put on my cell phone, but of course throw me "recommended" packages (e.g. you run Sony ZL2, here is a Sony ZL2 package with Walkman, PS controller, Social Live, etc.).

Rooting a phone and uninstalling it voids the warranty and insurance (at least with my carrier). They won't replace it or factory reset the ROM after that, even if you pay the $50 fee.

•••
Yeah Samsung is terrible for that. Why would I ever use ChatON and why is it conveniently the third icon on the apps list?! (likewise the same goes for Google's own apps... yes its Google Android but its open source, give us a choice! other than search and chrome never used anything else)

You are correct, rooting a phone invalidates the warranty. This is the reason why I kept it stock android plus samsung overlays etc. and will root it when i get a new phone. Be good if a manufacturer gives us the option to a different ROM such as CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android, by default.

Google likes to supervise you (*cough* keep an eye on you, spy) on your phone, whereas Apple - despite the money you have paid to own the phone - thinks it still has the right to dictate what you can and can't do with it. As if they still own it and you are just paying a royalty for the privilege.

•••
Both work on their own ways and its very important to know where and when to use android or ios.

•••
IOS but if choosing games, android has a lot to offer..and cheap

•••
I do not have any type of cellphone!
Yes, am a luddite that way.
Wife has iphone 5 with the fingerprint shit.
She has yet to do that as I told her, good way for the gubmint to find you faster.

•••
Hi
My favorite android ..

•••
Hi there ,
I would like to prefer Android because that seem such a incredible and to fast than other but Apple is also incredible so both are magnificent but Android is better ...!

•••
I have to chime in again on this topic. I recently bought a 128gb SD card for my phone. I soon realized after 5 minutes of research, 4.4.x does not support 3rd party apps writing to external cards. What's up with that? Sony made it easier to torrent to internal and now copy to external, but that's gonna burn through my internal memory.

Thank God for insurance though.:alien3:

•••
The new version of android coming soon in September

•••
I have to chime in again on this topic. I recently bought a 128gb SD card for my phone. I soon realized after 5 minutes of research, 4.4.x does not support 3rd party apps writing to external cards. What's up with that? Sony made it easier to torrent to internal and now copy to external, but that's gonna burn through my internal memory.

Thank God for insurance though.:alien3:

Yeah, I think they dropped that around Jelly Bean. Most phones had it disabled anyway; it was hard to find a combination of phone and carrier that left it functional.

Of course, if you really need it, you can just root your phone. That works best if your device unencumbered by carrier restrictions (i.e., from Google Play or straight from the manufacturer). Google makes it as easy as running a program. Otherwise, you have deal with hacks to get around carrier nonsense. If I recall correctly, some manufacturers also make it tricky on certain models to satisfy carriers. (It's easier for them to do it to the entire model than on a carrier-by-carrier basis.)

I love how pretty iOS is! Too bad it can't do 90% of the things that I require from a modern phone. Makes for a stylish electronic photo frame, and that's about it. I'm qualified to comment on iOS; I was involved in development of early iOS applications, before there was an app store. (Apple created the app store because they didn't like my apps. ;))

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back