NameSilo

discuss Investor Bought Weixin.com For CNY 30 Millions, While Tencent Gets It For Free?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN.com

VIP Member
DN.com Staff
Impact
Recently, news about Tencent, Inc. acquire weixin.com through UDRP successfully caught my attention. People have been discussing and debating over this in China.

In the PDF documents on the Internet, we can get acknowledged of some information. Here I state part of them.

1. Domain name, weixin.com, is registered in 21st Nov, 2000 by Haishen Yang. After several changes, in 2015, the domain name holder becomes Li Ming.

2. Tencent, Inc.’s platform,微信(Wechat in English, weixin in Pinyin), got the trademark “weixin” in 25th Oct, 2011. For all the time being, wechat uses the domain name weixin.qq.com.

3. Weixin.com is built into a weixin developer platform in which the content and wording can be easily mistaken as one of Wechat formal website.

4. In the arbitration document, experts points that “While a renewal is not considered equivalent to a ‘registration’ in the context of the objectives of the Policy, and thereby insulates a respondent who did not register a domain name in bad faith but subsequently uses it in bad faith```

It is said that the Respondent bought weixin.com for CNY 30 millions. Unfortunately, Tencent, Inc. gets it totally for free!

We are not sure whether things will change or not in the near future. I have seen a lot of people supporting the Respondent, the domain name holder, li ming, some stand by Tencent.

What’s your idea on this? Why not write down your idea and who do you support?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That guy did something idiotic and got what he deserved. Was it the right thing though? No, I don't think he should have had his domain taken away, but he should have been sued to take the site down and pay something for damages and whatever else a lawyer could add on.

•••
Looks like obvious bad faith...

3. Weixin.com is built into a weixin developer platform in which the content and wording can be easily mistaken as one of Wechat formal website.

•••
It wasn't registered in bad faith in the first place, if that means anything. It's copyright infringement among other things for sure. I think they are just taking what they want from him and it's not the fair thing to do. If your plagiarize a book do the police come and take your copies? No, you get sued for cash.

Imagine this: If he did what he did on crappiestdomainnameintheworld.COM, do you think they would take his domain name? No, they would go for his cash, as it should be.

•••
That guy did something idiotic and got what he deserved. Was it the right thing though? No, I don't think he should have had his domain taken away, but he should have been sued to take the site down and pay something for damages and whatever else a lawyer could add on.
thanks for sharing with us your idea!

•••
Looks like obvious bad faith...

I think this is the major reason why it is arbitrated.

•••
It wasn't registered in bad faith in the first place, if that means anything. It's copyright infringement among other things for sure. I think they are just taking what they want from him and it's not the fair thing to do. If your plagiarize a book do the police come and take your copies? No, you get sued for cash.

Imagine this: If he did what he did on crappiestdomainnameintheworld.COM, do you think they would take his domain name? No, they would go for his cash, as it should be.

Wechat(微信:"weixin" in pinyin) is taken into use in 2011, and weixin.com is registered in 2000, not until 2015, weixin.com is built into a website using the term 微信.

Some people points out that if Tencent wants this domain name weixin.com. what was he doing between the year 2011-2015?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back