Dynadot

.info .INFO domains in one year from now (will .info market collapse?)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The last months info domains could be registered for free. As far as I could find out this let to more than 1.500.000 additional info names registered. Zooknic reported at july 24th 2004 1,211,384 regged .infos. At the moment whois.cs stats reports 2,889,797 .infos regged.
What will happen in a year from now, if I guess at least 75% of them will expire and not renewed, which means a drop in info domains of over more than 1.000.000. Will this drop mean a collapse of the .info market? If you ask me the drop will at least severly hurt the .info market.
Any comments and ideas on this are welcome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the domain market for .info will keep going as its a great extension IMHO :tu: :p

•••
As we get closer to more gTLD's being intruduced in late 05 or earlly 06, info will no longer be seen as the "new" TLD. For general usability, I already think it's on par with .net and .org. The fact that it's got its own identity will only lead to more growth as sites get developed, unlike .biz which is a "me too" to the .com TLD. There is some talk of .web being a future extension, but I think that is a "me too" of the .net domain. If someone other than Verisign gets the next conract for .net, anyone else would probably pump up that extension with some publicity and newfound energy, probably to the detriment of any new .web extension.

However, sites that don't fit the .info plan or that are just plain crappy, will drop just like any other extension does with little notice.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
The fact that it's got its own identity will only lead to more growth as sites get developed, unlike .biz which is a "me too" to the .com TLD.

.BIZ is a more refined B2B version of .COM. .COM basically means - I need to keep things simple for people who don't even know what Windows XP is.

•••
mole said:
.BIZ is a more refined B2B version of .COM. .COM basically means - I need to keep things simple for people who don't even know what Windows XP is.

There lies the problem. businesses want to do business as .com, not .biz. Being a .biz over a .com means you realized too late the importance of the internet and could mean you follow trends instead of set them. It also means someone else with the .com version has a leg up on you for traffic. It also at this point means you don't have the budget for a .com and have taken the budget version which is .biz.

As I see it, .biz will eventually be more useful as smaller Mom & Pop type shops using them for B2C. Most of my .biz registrations reflect this by in names where the smaller local generic user can have a "good" name in the .biz TLD without too much worry about who owns the .com version. I have names like exterminating.biz, toolrepair.biz, windowcleaning.biz, jobplacement.biz, incometaxreturn.biz, and wrecker.biz that can be used and are in the budget reality of more local and smaller businesses.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
There lies the problem. businesses want to do business as .com, not .biz. Being a .biz over a .com means you realized too late the importance of the internet and could mean you follow trends instead of set them. It also means someone else with the .com version has a leg up on you for traffic. It also at this point means you don't have the budget for a .com and have taken the budget version which is .biz.

As I see it, .biz will eventually be more useful as smaller Mom & Pop type shops using them for B2C. Most of my .biz registrations reflect this by in names where the smaller local generic user can have a "good" name in the .biz TLD without too much worry about who owns the .com version. I have names like exterminating.biz, toolrepair.biz, windowcleaning.biz, jobplacement.biz, incometaxreturn.biz, and wrecker.biz that can be used and are in the budget reality of more local and smaller businesses.

i thought this was an .info's discussion ..... :bingo:

•••
I agree with dgridley, only the good .Info's will be worth $$$. Alot of "bad" .info domains were registered from the promotion, maybe there were some good domains but not many that are worth renewing.

•••
vimkar said:
i thought this was an .info's discussion ..... :bingo:

Sorry I strayed off track.
:red:

•••
.info domains will still be strong in a year, especially with all the publicity the TLD has earned over the past few months.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back