NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Domain Fish

Established Member
Impact
Hi Guys,

I have just joined the community, so a complete novice. I have a domain portfolio that I bought years ago but never did much with most of it. I am a tech founder, but I have always loved domains.

I always struggle with valuation, so what do you guys think would be the value of inflated.com? (I am genuinely mostly curious rather than advertising to sell it)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi @Tariq Aris! Welcome to NamePros.

I see that this domain name was last publicly sold for $4,600 in 2008. I assume that's when you acquired it?

My personal opinion is that this domain name may struggle to sell to an end user for a significant multiple of this purchase price.

At first glance, one would think it should have a lot of value (due to the implied tie-in to the financial industry), but a little more investigation reveals that this name doesn't seem to be developed in any other major extensions. Additionally, when searching the term on Google, I was hard-pressed to find any companies that brand themselves using the word "inflated". Maybe there are some negative connotation issues at play here?

As much as the above is not encouraging, I do believe the name still has at least as much value as what you paid in 2008, as I suspect there are some investors who would be willing to pay $5k for a single word .com name like this.

To the right end user, I think the name could fetch up to mid five figures due to the single word strength of the term. Does that end user exist? I'm skeptical. And I think that's the largest impediment to selling this one.

In the years you've owned the name, has it received some offers?

•••
I think good feedback above. Only thing I disagree with is the target market. Don't think it's an easy sell, but let's not forget there are inflatable products as a potential industry. I didn't see this as a domain for the finance sector.

Last edited:
•••
I think good feedback above. Only thing I disagree with is the target market. Don't think it's an easy sell, but let's not forget there are inflatable products as a potential industry. I didn't see this as a domain for the finance sector.
Yeah, good call. Not sure how much money/demand exists for domains in this niche, but definitely nice when your name can apply to more than one vertical.

Maybe these guys would be interested:

https://www.beachballs.com

•••
Thanks Joe and Truespin for taking the time to think about it and reply.

I have not had any offers, but I have not had any landing pages on any of my domains (I have actually never sold a domain before!), I have always viewed them as assets I wanted to accumulate. There are quite a few more single word .coms that I would be interested in your thoughts on, but I don't want to bombard this thread :)

Thanks for the insight in how you think about the valuation of the domain.

•••
Thanks Joe and Truespin for taking the time to think about it and reply.

I have not had any offers, but I have not had any landing pages on any of my domains (I have actually never sold a domain before!), I have always viewed them as assets I wanted to accumulate. There are quite a few more single word .coms that I would be interested in your thoughts on, but I don't want to bombard this thread :)

Thanks for the insight in how you think about the valuation of the domain.

If they're good names like this, fire away. The appraisal board is usually full of crap, so it's nice to have some interesting names to discuss.

•••
One of the ones I like is BigHits.com - I keep wanting to do something with it but can't find the time or the right idea :)

•••
Yeah, another potentially good name. Taken in quite a few extensions and a pretty common term. As you say, it doesn't have an immediately obvious commercial niche, but it's probably general enough to have a few solid end-user cases (start up service, viral marketing company, SEO, record company etc)

I see a sale for the domain back in 2008? Was that you? If so, the price is probably about what you could expect at reseller, if you held your nerve.

The singular version would obviously be better, and it appears to be undeveloped and for sale which could put a downward pressure on your domain's value. I also can't see any other sales for the term, so probably not very liquid, but again it's certainly got some value, particularly if you can find an end-user.

How many domains have you accumulated over the years?

You could submit both of these to the top domain's board and invite offers - but only if you're interested in selling at reseller prices.

Last edited:
•••
I always thought it would be a good site for music or any other regularly updating list of 'hits' , which is why I actually prefer the plural version, but I see your point.

I bought a whole bunch of premium domains in a Sedo auction back in 2008 and have done nothing with them since.

•••
a MMA - UFC with Boxing along with bare knuckle development would serve BigHits.com well , a 26 billion dollar industry, people love it. Maybe find “Dana White” info and present the name and opportunity to him, Floyd Mayweather might like that having some that website action too.

if you would like, send me the names you would like valuations on, I will research them and give you valuations on them @Domain Fish

Last edited:
•••
I love the thinking X, a pure 'knock out' site would be very cool. You could also branch into different sports like 'American football big hits' and Rugby big hits, pretty much any contact sport. I need to find somebody to develop that someday :)

•••
I would love to give a totally inflated price but I am worried to think if all going to be hot air.
mid $xxxx.

•••
Just to be clear, I don't want to misrepresent my intentions, I am not looking to sell the domain to other domainers, no offence :)

•••
We appraise as end users not every one word is going to be 6 figures.

•••
Completely fair point lock, and your input is appreciated.

•••
I will say you need to aim higher that Carnerys. No offense to clowns or lion tamers but manufactures of jumping castles hot air balloons etc it is a great name could sell anytime profitable price for you. Make a inflatable reseller site make it back that way.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I wouldn’t sell them either, and if I did, it would be to an end user.

I think you are in the $12,000 to $15,000 range with Inflated.com , possibly more if marketed correctly and sold by a top broker.

The name has big potential in the market of helium inflatable items.

I also see Inflated.com could be branded for stock market options and trading.

best of luck with it.

•••
I think it is a solid one word brandable. I can't imagine a use but just because I can't imagine a use does not mean someone else won't. It could be a slow/never seller, so reseller pricing would probably be low $x,xxx but if you park it advertised at low-mid $ xx,xxx someone might come along. I'm sure you won't but don't just give it away unless you need cash for some other venture.

btw :I have an obscure similar word sufflate (which is pretty much trash) so I have poked around looking for uses like bouncy castles, beach stuff and blimps etc.

•••
As stated above, inflated could fetch well into 5 figures. The inflatables industry is huge — think party rentals, fairs, water sports (simple tow-behind tubes all the way to catapult blobs/jumping pillows), etc.

You could easily find 1000s of prospects to sell this name to, if you wanted. Scrape companies that sell or rent anything I listed above (in the top 100 US cities or equivalent) and there's no doubt many of them will see the value in the name.

BigHits is a strong name, but I see this as a tough sell. Music won't be profitable enough for anyone to spend much. Fight blogs/media would be interested at a low/lower-mid $xxxx price point, but you're better off developing.

•••
Thanks @Paul T and @Randolph for the well thought out feedback, appreciated.

•••
I love the thinking X, a pure 'knock out' site would be very cool. You could also branch into different sports like 'American football big hits' and Rugby big hits, pretty much any contact sport. I need to find somebody to develop that someday :)

If you are tech founder, you may better to develop your domains and sell as quick as possible in different market. I think domain prices are not as expensive as "tech guy" thinks. You can get good domains under $100 in NP or even Ebay and still good names which has rich ideas behind it.

•••
Thanks @Paul T and @Randolph for the well thought out feedback, appreciated.
Seems to me the names you have mentioned so far are some good 'digital real estate'. I for one would be interested (not to buy) to hear what else you have?

Last edited:
•••
Great name for inflatable rentals, like bouncy houses etc.

Should eventually sell for low $xxxxx, although acquisition price is high, if that is what was paid in 2008.

BigHits is excellent too. I like plural even better. Also low $xx,xxx name. Works for news, media, productions, rankings etc.

You definitely have good taste for names.

•••
Thanks Paul and Recons. Another name that is quite interesting and my only 2 word .com is:

LoanAdvice.com

Again bought it in 2008 but have done nothing with it :)

•••
Thanks Paul and Recons. Another name that is quite interesting and my only 2 word .com is:

LoanAdvice.com

Again bought it in 2008 but have done nothing with it :)
That is a serious name - not sure will need to do a bit of work

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back