Dynadot

India to Get First Major Domain Conference in September 2014, DOMAINX in Hyderabad

NameSilo
Watch

Would you be attending DOMANX 2014 Conference?

• 11 votes
  • Ended 10 years ago
  • Final results

Soofi

Love Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
Considering the important role that India-based domain companies and investors have played in the history of this business, it is somewhat surprising that the country has never hosted a major event centered around domain investors and developers. That is scheduled to change about 10 weeks from now with plans just announced for the inaugural DOMAINX™ event to be held in Hyderabad on Sunday, September 7, 2014 - a sponsor supported event with no registration charge.

Confirmed Speakers: Ron Jackson, Michael Castello, Michael Gilmour, Jon Yau, Morgan Linton, Deepak Daftari and Ritvik VikasMishra (Government/Cabinet Secretariat).

read complete news story at http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140623.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Had absolutely no clue about that rule...

Basically .co.in/ .in are supposed to be for end users only and "domaining" is a no no but of course it happens.

Auctions of them are also illegal in the eyes of the .in registry, but they still happen.

The downside of course is that the registry can confiscate/ claim names that have been acquired this way.

And they do but mainly only the good ones, read in to that what you wish. Perhaps I am just a cynic.

Even parking the names at the likes of Sedo with a for sale link is also illegal in the eyes of the .in registry.

•••
An INDIAN domain conference, should've focused on what INDIANS are doing in the market.

Too much emphasis was placed on NON-INDIAN speakers attending the event. So when these guys didn't come, and they were interviewed on skype, it took the appeal away from the event.

I think you should've rather have focused on what INDIANS are doing in the market.

I think the speakers who never came, because of "visa issues", never attended, because they weren't offered flights, and accommodation, etc. You can't expect them to come, if they have to pay for all of that.

I would appreciate if you could do your research right before you post something.
Before posting " the speakers who never came, because of "visa issues", never attended, because they weren't offered flights, and accommodation, etc." you could have bothered asking if that was done because if you message any of the speakers you would know that it was all on the organization.

As for your point on Indian speakers you are absolutely right and that is why we had Mr. Deepak Daftari, Mr. Sai Pola and Other INDIANS speak on the event, it was due to a sense of respect and admiration for those gentlemen,who have done what they have done to make a name for themselves in the domaining industry as well as to add a global touch to the conference that we invited them.

The fact remains that due to the process of visa application in which we could have not played any part ,even though we tried our best , some of the speakers could not attend the conference, that aside it was the first conference so mistakes were also made on our part, nobody is perfect and how we improve on those mistakes is what would define us.

•••
Well probably because not everyone can visit Hyderabad,
considering distance n timing.

but i do hope to see atleast a bunch of NP'ers there

•••
This is very long over due but congratz to India for setting it up!

Hopefully there will be talk about cryptocurrencies! I would love to send money to people in India WITHOUT worrying about converting from USD to INR

•••
Hello all,

I was there at the DOMAINX Conference that was held on September 7, 2014 in Hyderabad, India at Marriott Hotel and Covention Centre.

More than 350 people turned up for the event.
It was a massive hit.

Here are the review and report of the Conference:

Sessions:

1) Lamp Lighting by BJP IT Cell Convener Mr. VINIT GOENKA

Mr. Vinit Goenka lighted the lamp and enlightened us with his kind words about his hope from the IT industry in India. He even went on to recite a Bengali poem by Rabindranath Tagore and connected India and its citizens with the deep meaning in the poem.

2) MR. RON JACKSON interviewing MR. MICHAEL CASTELLO

The faces of people in the Conference gleamed as soon as MR. Ron Jackson appeared via Skype. Accompanying him on Skype, was the Whisky.com seller Michael Castello, who owns some of the best names you could ever find.
Ron Jackson interviewed Michael regarding his experience about selling Whisky.com, which Michael answered in detail. Michael also went on to add that he only buys a domain name only if it appeals to his emotions.
He said that he does not believe in parking revenue very much since they are falling, and tries to build website.
He ended the speech by giving out the message that if he could do it, anyone in the world could do it.
Ron Jackson shared his experience to make the discussion even more interesting and informative by discussing how he made many mistakes, how he invested in all the wrong names in his initial career and realized that he doesn't have the required knowledge to invest in domain names. Looking for resources, he could not find any. Therefore, he went on to start DNJournal.com and the rest we know is history.

3) Session by Indian Entrepreneur and Domain Name Investor MR. DEEPAK DAFTARI

Mr. Deepak Daftari shared his experience about one of his biggest sale TIE.com.
He stressed upon the importance of cash flow and closing deals if you get good offers. He adviced fellow domainers not to get very greedy while dealing in domain names. He shared one of his experiences where he had some of the best .MOBI domains when they were a hit, and he got an offer of $3 million for his entire portfolio. He did not sell them at that time, and now those domains have no value at all. However, he believes that .MOBI will rise again and fetch him good return on his portfolio.

4) MR. RON JACKSON interviewing MR. ADAM DICKER

This was my favorite part as I am one of the biggest fan of MR. ADAM DICKER. He is one of the best brains in the domain industry who knows how to sell a $10 name for multiple thousands of dollars in no time.
His understanding of the industry is deep.
He stressed upon the need to have multiple revenue system. He went on to share that he makes atleast $50,000 from each of his 12 businesses every month. He also mentioned that as parking revenues are falling, it is better to develop it into websites.
We see that Michale Castello also said something similar. Here is a thing to take away with you since all the industry veterans are moving away from parking revenue into a stable business model.

5) LUNCH SESSION

This was a great opportunity to network. I got to meet some of the best domainers in India. I could also see that there are some names that may not be popular in the industry, but they are doing amazing work as Domain Investors and Flippers.
Exchanged some 25 business cards as well.
I made a friend who is a Lawyer and runs a company in Bangalore - one of the most amazing man I met at the Conference.
I plan to be in touch with all the people that I met and befriended here.

6) Legal Session by MR. PAVAN DUGGAL

One of the leading lawyers in the Domain Name Industry, Mr. Pavan Duggal enlightened us with the UDRPs, INDRPs and that the domain name is not a property.
He told us how to avoid trademarks and what are the possible consequences of TM infringement. The session was great and Mr. Duggal spoke with such a poise and charisma that everyone got excited at once.

7) Legal Discussion: MRS. HARINI NARAYANSWAMY, MR. PAVAN DUGGAL and MR. RODNEY RYDER which was moderated by MR. ANKUR TANEJA

This was a panel discussion where the panelists presented their views and facts about the difference between UDRPs and INDRPs. MRS. Harini walked us through the decision making of UDRPs and the process involved. She discussed some case studies like TVS.com and ARMANI.com where the company clained that they have the legal right over the domain but the registrant could provide proof otherwise.
Also, a case study of Maruti was discussed. This was very informative in terms of the legality over the domain names. MR. Ryder and MR. Duggal also made some good points in this regard.

8) The Digital Future by MR. KARTIK TANEJA

Mr. Taneja represented Google and started by showing us how the technology is going to be used in the future and how is Google planning for it.
He presented some videos about the future technologies such as Wearables, the Drones which could deliver stuff by themselves, the cars that could drive by itself and other such stuff.
Later, he went to discuss some new gTLDs that Google has launched and some that they are planning to.
There were some questions put up regarding the indexing of new gTLDs in the Search results of Google which he answered.

9) TEA BREAK

There was a tea break. This was a awesome opportunity to network which everyone loved. I personally got to meet Mr. Duggal, Mr. Ryder and Mrs. Harini.

10) .ASIA discussions by MR. EDMON CHUNG

MR. EDMON CHUNG threw some light about the developments in the .ASIA domains and how it is performing in the recent years. He discussed how .ASIA is an emerging player in the Domain Industry and the fact that it is going to be a big player.
He gave some good examples of .ASIA domains that are developed and the big markets that they may become.

11) Cabinet Secretariat MR. RITVIK VIKAS MISHRA

Mr. Ritvik spoke about the various initiatives that the Government of India is taking to spread the Digital Revolution and how is India and the government trying to keep in pace with the Digital Revolution and the growing rate of Internet users in India.
He also put forth a suugestion to the Domainers in the Conference, to discuss the problems which they are facing due to certain policies of the Government and that he may take their voice to the Government so that this could be amended for the best.

12) MR. SAI POLA and Mr. MAHENDER who have $2 million to invest in domain names

Mr. Deepak Daftari interviewed Mr. Sai Pola and Mr. Mahender who own some of the best domain names and have been investing and capitalizing on Domain names. They have a successful story about a ecommerce business of Duckeggs which they built solely on the basis of their domain name.
They also shared that they have put up $2 million funds aside to invest in Domain Names.
So, if you are looking to sell your domain names, I think these are the people to approach.

13) MUSIC Launch of EMAIL.BIZ

Email.biz which is owned by the top .BIZ investor, MR. ANSHUL GOYAL did a Music Launch of its business EMAIL.BIZ
I think they have put up a great music.

14) THE ORGANIZERS THANK THE AUDIENCE(MR. MANMEET SINGH, MR. ANSHUL GOYAL, MR. ANKUR RAHEJA, MR. SIBTAIN ZAHEER and MR. NISHANK YADAV)

The Organizers came together on the stage and thanked everyone for making the event a success.
The best part of the Conference was that the people stayed even after the Conference was over, which got over about an hour late.

OTHER STUFF FROM THE CONFERENCE

1) There was a lucky draw conducted by Verisign. I won the first prize. :)

2) There were goodies given to those who came forward to ask questions to the renowned people who addressed the crowd.

3) The Conference was FREE. They did not charge any fee from anyone.

4) Food was awesome. They even kept the very famous, HYDERABADI BIRYANI.

5) REDBULL gave away FREE energy drinks.

6) GODADDY special code to buy membership for those who attended the Conference.

7) Bollywood Dances and Entertainment Sessions.

One of the best part of the Conference was that the Organizers tried to meet as many people as possible and Welcome and Thank them personally, even though they had so much work to do.
I had the priviledge to personally meet and discuss with each of the Organizers except Mr. Anshul Goyal. They are awesome people!!
The Organizing team understands each other very well and they seem to be a family together.

I am a follower of Mr. Warren Buffet and I believe that if the team is good, nothing could go wrong!!
I think the strong team at DNOAI is the reason why the event was PHENOMENAL!!

For those of you who missed it, I think this provided an insight!!
If I have missed something, anyone who attended the Conference, kindly add it below!!

I give this event a 100/100.

Thank you so much YuvaEngineers.com for your reviews!!

•••
This is going to be a milestone in India's domaining journey, and going to give much needed exposure to the industry, which has been a neglected space by far.

Kickass, Awesome Stuff!!!

•••
nitindomains, need of the hour to be honest. Participation of industry leaders can only boost this space :) And and, if such conferences can happen in North America, why not in India?

It is going to change the specs of domaining, that's how i would want to take it.
Optimism sans too much idealism, is always worth a try. :)

•••
A great opportunity to put the .in registry on the spot.

Anybody representing them at the conference?

So may other cctlds are actively promoting their product by every means including auctions. China stands out amongst them with recent .cn auctions seeing a number of $xxx,xxx sales.

Anyway, I hope it is a great success.

•••
Thank wot for the the detailed comments. We have reached out to Dr. Govind (CEO of NIXI), to be part of the DOMAINX 2014 Conference. Lets hope his schedule will permit to be part of the history making event.

Again I wish you guys the very best of luck. Little to old in the tooth to go conference hopping nowadays but I will follow with interest.

For those that don't know NIXI is the National Internet Exchange of India.

•••
I think this is pretty good for the India technology market, especially domains. If I was in India I would be trying to make it!

•••
Will definitely be making it for this one. Looking forward to meeting all the Indian domainers from here.

•••
Here are some key recent developments for DOMAINX 2014 Conference:

Domain Name Owners Association of India™ is excited to announce Mr. Adam Dicker (President & CEO of DNF) as a Speaker for the DOMAINX™ 2014 Conference scheduled for 7th September, 2014 at Marriott Hotel & Convention Centre in Hyderabad. Visit him at: Adam Dicker » DOMAINX

Mr. Kartik Taneja, Head Channel Sales and Premier SMB Partnerships at Google India will be Guest of Honour at DOMAINX 2014 on 7th Sept. 2014 at Hyderabad Marriott Hotel & Convention Centre. Visit him at: Kartik Taneja » DOMAINX

Mr. Rajiv Sodhi, Vice President & Managing Director, Godaddy India will be Moderator/Speaker at DOMAINX 2014 on 7th Sept. 2014 at Hyderabad Marriott Hotel & Convention Centre. Visit him at: Rajiv Sodhi » DOMAINX

Ms. Harini Narayanswamy, Intellectual Property Attorney, International Arbitrator & Partner – Narayanswamy Associates will be part of Legal Discussion Panel at DOMAINX 2014 Conference. Visit her at: Harini Narayanswamy » DOMAINX

Oh and did we mention about crossing 700 registrations mark? Yes, an amazing response from the domain name community from all over the country. That's called living upto the standards, of being FIRST International Domain Name Conference in India.

Have you registered yet? Else, register here: DOMAINX Tickets

•••
An Update for all those who missed the Conference:

Conference Experience / Review

Conference Name : DomainX

Dates: 7th September 2014

My Objective(s) for attending this conference: To meet fellow domainers in India and to feel first hand, what is going on with others in the industry. Get motivated again to spare time for domaining.

Other attendees on my Table and In General: I was expecting around 750-800 people to attend, But the actual number may be 350-400. Most of the attendees are young people; average age might be 30 year or less. 95% are male. Attendees on my table are not domainers, in fact I am the only one on my table who owns domains for flipping. Others own one domain at most for their business purpose. But the beauty is that, by the end of conference, every single one of them is planning to buys doimains for domaining.

Sessions:

1. Vineet Goenka(Chief Guest – BJP IT Cell Convener) inaugurated the event.

2. Ron Jackson(DNjournal) and Michael Castello(Key Note Speaker : This session was conducted live via skype. Ron Jackson interviewed Michael. Michael is a Pioneer in domain industry and needs no introduction. He shared his experiences and his perspectives on emerging trends. ( He sold Whisky.com for 3.1 Million USD This year). Ron Jackson is another inspiring domainer. He runs DNJournal.com. I personally identify with him as I myself run an engineering Journal (www.yuvaengineers.com) . Michael while sharing his experiences mentioned below points: 1. Internet is level playing field. If someone in USA can do, same can be done from India aswell. 2. While selecting domains, one should always see, if the name generates emotions are not. 3. As parking revenues are falling, one should try to build websites. Ron mentioned that there will be learning curve and how he did mistakes initially, which can be avoided by reading a lot.

3. Deepak Daftari: Deepak, an Indian entrepreneur and domainer shared his experiences and views. He successfully runs esikhsa.com. key takeaway from his speech is that cash flows are important for a domainer and to build good portfolios. He also stressed on closing deals, he got $3 Mill offer for his .mobi portfolio which he rejected is now worth nothing. (Best session of the day. I met him personally and exchanged visiting cards. I am going to mail some of my domain names to him, just to get his perspective if they are good or not. )

4. Ron Jackson and Adam Dicker: This is another live session via skype. Adam Dicker stressed the need to have different revenue streams. He mentioned that he makes over 50K from each of his 12 businesses. He also stressed that as parking revenues are falling, its important to pursue other methods of monetization.

5. Pavan Duggal: Pavan duggal is a leading lawyer related to domain industry in India. Walked us through UDRP and INDRP and steps how to avoid TM issues. Very enthusiastic presentation and very interesting session.

6. Legal Session: Harini Narayanswamy, Pawand Duggal, Rodny Raider & Ankur Raheja.: In this session as panel member of UDRP, Harini Narayanswamy enlightened us the process and decision making of UDRP issues. She is very kind and approachable. (I was planning to develop IITForums.com and IIMForums.com for quite some time. IIT and IIM are premium institutions in India. I was having a doubt if it would be TM issue if I develop those sites. I asked her during tea break, she said, she sees no issues. These kind of sites would be considered like fan sites)

7. Karthik Teneja – Google : He spoke about “the digital future” and what google is doing in that area.

8. Edmon Chung (.asia ) He spoke about how .asia is doing and why it is important and emerging player.

9. Ritvik vikas Mishra (Cabinet Secretariat, Govt of India : He spoke about the various initiatives that Govet of India is taking to spraed the digital revolution to many more people. He also invited to suggest any ideas that can be placed before govt.

10.Sai and Mahender (Duckeggs and domainpros: Domainers from Hyderabad who are running a domain fund aswell as holding huge portfolios. If anyone is planning to sell your names, you can contact them, as they are planning to spend $2 Mill to acquire domains and they are interested in generic names.

11. Organizers and Final Session: Manmeet Singh, Anshul goyal, Ankur Raheja, Sibtain Zaheer & Nishank Yadav: We should thank the organizers for conducting such an event in India for the first time. The best thing is that, they have not charged anything. I got to say hi to manmeet. I could not wish others, as they were busy organizing. During the last session, (Though I am skeptical about .biz extension) anshul said that he is making decent 5fig sales. (he owns 20K plus .biz names). I would like to extend my appreciation to all the organizers.

Other Things:

1. Food was good. High Tea was also served.

2. Redbull gave away free drinks

3. Godaddy gave special code to buy membership.

4. Pens and few goodies were given in the kit.

5. Prizes were given to some of the people who filled feedback forms.

6. Entertainment sessions ( Bollywood style dances and Standup comedy by deepu) could have been avoided. They were nothing but distraction to the overall event. Particularly stand comedy, which was done in hindi and over 50% people there do not understand hindi. )

Over all Experience: Very Good. A++. I am definitely looking for their future events.

Session highlights: Deepak Daftari, Ron Jackson, Harini Narayanswamy and Pavan Duggal.

Would Love to see in Future events: Live Auctions and Domain name Appraisal stall.

The Above Article Can be Read at: http://www.yuvaengineers.com/domainx-conference-experience-review/

Last edited:
•••
Wow a conference featuring such value for money items as :

Virtual Keynote by Michael Castello with Ron Jackson
Virtual Session by Adam Dicker & Ron Jackson
Virtual Session by James Wester & Shannon Beyl Poole

Hardly seems worth travelling to.. may as well just give everyone access to a network meeting.

Sorry to disagree with you. Its totally worth it. Not for the speakers, but for the attendees. I got to meet so many young and enthusiastic people willing to invest in domains. People were so enthusiastic that, even though event was supposed to end at 6:00, It lasted upto 7:00, and 99% of the people have not left and they were very much involved with the event.

•••
Sorry to disagree with you. Its totally worth it. Not for the speakers, but for the attendees. I got to meet so many young and enthusiastic people willing to invest in domains. People were so enthusiastic that, even though event was supposed to end at 6:00, It lasted upto 7:00, and 99% of the people have not left and they were very much involved with the event.

No need to apologize at all. I'm glad you and others had a great time.

I didn't realize it was yesterday, actually! I just wanted to make sure that people knew a lot of it was virtual because it seemed to imply that a lot of people would be presenting AT the conference. (Also for some reason the post saved as draft and I did not see your updates before hitting save/change) :)

Energy is good.

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like a big hit for a domain conference! Some good names in there and I'm sure some valuable information was shared. Anyone know if they will begin planning a second one??

•••
We are planning a second one and a grander one at that :)

•••
Thank you Arpit131 & Stub for acknowledging and appreciating our effort.

•••
An INDIAN domain conference, should've focused on what INDIANS are doing in the market.

Too much emphasis was placed on NON-INDIAN speakers attending the event. So when these guys didn't come, and they were interviewed on skype, it took the appeal away from the event.

I attended a 5-day conference two years ago sponsored by the za registry, of which 3 days were about domains. 100% free. Two speakers were from ICANN-they were physically there and they spoke about the global market for domains, security, new gTLDs, etc. But the conference was dominated by local speakers, who were involved in domains from the beginning and some from large ISPs in the country. That I found interesting. It was unique. Emphasis was placed on the local speakers-and I really looked forward to it. It was a success.

Now if they had to place emphasis on foreign speakers physically attending, and they didn't pitch... skype or not-it wouldn't have been appealing anymore.

I think you should've rather have focused on what INDIANS are doing in the market.

I think the speakers who never came, because of "visa issues", never attended, because they weren't offered flights, and accommodation, etc. You can't expect them to come, if they have to pay for all of that.

•••
Looking forward to it, who else from NP is joining? :D

•••
•••
I would love a third option in the poll in the form of "I would like to but I won't" :)

thanks for letting us know though

•••
This is going to be a milestone in India's domaining journey, and going to give much needed exposure to the industry, which has been a neglected space by far.

Kickass, Awesome Stuff!!!

nitindomains, need of the hour to be honest. Participation of industry leaders can only boost this space :) And and, if such conferences can happen in North America, why not in India?

•••
But do remember you cannot discuss the buying,selling and auctioning of .co.in/ .in in the conference as it is illegal!

TIA This Is India

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back