Dynadot

discuss Increasing the email open rate

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have consistently been getting between 35% - 50% email open rates for my outbound mails.
All my leads are from Google which means, these are the most active sites with people who should be responding in minutes if not hours.

However, I still see my email open rates as 35% - 50% these days. Now the number of leads per domain are like 30 - 40, which means these are highly targeted leads as I would refer them.
Wanted to gain an insight on the usual email open rates in the industry for outbound domainers.

Also, what kind of tweaks do you suggest doing, to increase the email open rates?

I believe, if I can increase the email open rates by 10%, my conversion rate may go up by a couple of percentage more.

Please share your comments on the same.

When it comes to subject line, I just put [Domain Name]. Nothing else.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Dont outbound from a gmail; Yahoo AOL email

It screams “amateur hour”

Get email hosting for like $3 month
it also prevents message from landing in junk.

Get programs which say they opened email;
Not an “invasion of privacy” Use technology;
Know Deals close; simply from “email tracking”

Last edited:
•••
•••
In addition, most domainers get it wrong, those people you're spamming are potential leads. Not leads. Big difference. Sigh.

•••
The open rate is just the first part of the funnel....if your crap at the rest of the process or have crap domains it makes no difference how many people open your email

The average cross industry open rate is around 20%

The average cross industry click through rate is around 2%

Now funnel it down to a rough completed sales rate and you begin to see the picture....for decent sales/marketing proposals...

•••
How can others know if I opened the email? My javascript is off, and I didn't give permission to Yahoo to let senders know if I opened their emails. I think both sender and recipient needs to agree that this is ok.

Open-rate: not sure, but reply rate is zero for me. (I consider outbound emails as truthbombs instead of questions which need to be answered, because I know they will be ignored whatever I say) Also open rate may not mean much. it doesn't imply you sent the email to the right company or the right person in a company. I rarely outbound, but I still think outbounding works, but not right away.

I would try this if thought it would work, rent2own with zero-down (I think Epik allows it), but since outbound emails are ignored, and I can't check whether the recipient visited the domain (stats missing), .. and someone else (like a flipper) may rent2own and prevent sales for 1 month. Waiting is boring, and I think you need 50K ok domains to sell one everyday.

•••
In addition, most domainers get it wrong, those people you're spamming are potential leads. Not leads. Big difference. Sigh.
Thanks for pointing it out. But I don't see an issue in outbound. I agree. Some may consider it outright wrong but others may not. And that difference of opinion is fine.

The open rate is just the first part of the funnel....if your crap at the rest of the process or have crap domains it makes no difference how many people open your email

The average cross industry open rate is around 20%

The average cross industry click through rate is around 2%

Now funnel it down to a rough completed sales rate and you begin to see the picture....for decent sales/marketing proposals...
Thanks for sharing that. But what would you say when it comes to domain name emails which might hit a potential buyers once or twice a month, maybe. Won't the open rate differ?

•••
Thanks for pointing it out. But I don't see an issue in outbound. I agree. Some may consider it outright wrong but others may not. And that difference of opinion is fine.

Thanks for sharing that. But what would you say when it comes to domain name emails which might hit a potential buyers once or twice a month, maybe. Won't the open rate differ?
Then your spamming......it might slightly increase it, but not by much and still does not change the fact that the quality is most likely crap....

I did a mail merge 2 weeks ago to 785 CHRO's, VP's, Senior Directors & Directors for a project I was working on - it was professionally done, full signature (including my LinkedIn button) established company which is well known within the industry etc

6 people registered off the back of it = 0.76% conversion success

I then proceeded to start making calls to everyone else and got 34 people to register in 5 days - project completed and I did not even get to bottom of the list......People buy from people not emails.....

The people doing outbound in this industry have nailed it down to a fine art and are doing it it in volume, they have learnt from their mistakes and have good processes in place

Maybe you should reach out to them and get some advice instead of over analysing things constantly.........said it before, you seem to be going around in circles with this.....

•••
Then your spamming......it might slightly increase it, but not by much and still does not change the fact that the quality is most likely crap....

I did a mail merge 2 weeks ago to 785 CHRO's, VP's, Senior Directors & Directors for a project I was working on - it was professionally done, full signature (including my LinkedIn button) established company which is well known within the industry etc

6 people registered off the back of it = 0.76% conversion success

I then proceeded to start making calls to everyone else and got 34 people to register in 5 days - project completed and I did not even get to bottom of the list......People buy from people not emails.....

The people doing outbound in this industry have nailed it down to a fine art and are doing it it in volume, they have learnt from their mistakes and have good processes in place

Maybe you should reach out to them and get some advice instead of over analysing things constantly.........said it before, you seem to be going around in circles with this.....
Thanks for your advice.
What's the mail merge thing? Can you please elaborate? Looking like an interesting thing to me.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Does anybody here actually open emails that are tracked?

I simply cannot believe that you are getting the quoted stats for email open rates considering they are unsolicited messages.

Have you somehow masked the fact that you are tracking if the emails are opened?

•••
I suspect tracking can be done using hotlinked images, but not sure whether this is possible/allowed/ or/ used often.

•••
Open rates means nothing.
Deleting rate is 99% as they are spam emails.
What’s matter is buying rate : 0%

•••
Dont outbound from a gmail; Yahoo AOL email

It screams “amateur hour”

Get email hosting for like $3 month
it also prevents message from landing in junk.

Get programs which say they opened email;
Not an “invasion of privacy” Use technology;
Know Deals close; simply from “email tracking”

I would add (and this is something I SHOULD do but DON'T lol)

use your custom email address with the domain for your portfolio like Efty.

Then use it as the contact for all your domains in the whois data.

with any luck anyone checking out your domain via whois will see the email address and type the domain for the email address directly to the address bar which will lead them to your main portfolio.

•••

I'll just check it out. Too bad I haven't done it so far.

Does anybody here actually open emails that are tracked?

I simply cannot believe that you are getting the quoted stats for email open rates considering they are unsolicited messages.

Have you somehow masked the fact that you are tracking if the emails are opened?
Well, there are softwares in the market that you install and they track the email opens. Every marketing email you get is somehow tracked.

I suspect tracking can be done using hotlinked images, but not sure whether this is possible/allowed/ or/ used often.
Absolutely. Very popular. If you check softwares like MailTrack, it automatically ends up tracking.

Open rates means nothing.
Deleting rate is 99% as they are spam emails.
What’s matter is buying rate : 0%
I agree Johnn. Fair point. I mean, for every domain, you need just one buyer. If the open rate is increased, number of potential buyers increase somehow. And hence, the higher chances of selling.

•••
Hi,
If you don’t use gmail to send marketing emails
Use other mail,
What tools will you use to track?

•••
Back