Dynadot

Increasing Reg Fees

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Just me or are reg fees getting expensive now?

Godaddy is about £13 (GBP) for .com. At that price, I have to think twice about registering a name for the sake of it!

Used to be less than half that, as I recall.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here is the Godaddy Discount Domain Club promo code. Brings it down from $119.88 to $71.93. 40% off. Domains come out to $8.29 plus tax or $8.47 total.

CJCRMN35
Thanks, I just used this promo. I knew of the DDC years ago, but entirely forgot about it. I still hand regged domains over the years but did so at cheaper registrars, like Namebright and Namecheap. But this past year I've been regging a lot more quick-flip domains at Godaddy. I differentiate 'quick flip' domains from 'long term' domains. Quick flips are ones I'll email end users for right away, and if they don't sell then I'll let them drop after a year. Long term are ones that I'll hold onto for years, as they may be higher priced, not have clear immediate buyers, but I figure will sell eventually even if it takes some years.

Some examples of quick flip domains I sold this past week are SarasotaPoolCleaning.com, WacoCounseling.com, VegasCollision.com, that kind of thing. I let them go after a year because the moment I reg a domain I email every business I can find for those keywords, any that don't sell I email for again just before the domain expires a year later, and I figure if none of them bite at the domain those two times, there's no point in renewing it for years. The Sarasotapoolcleaning domain I regged this week and sold the next day; the other two were regged a year ago, didn't sell then, but I emailed this week as they are expiring soon, and this time they got bought.

I get my quick flip domains at Godaddy because it seems like 95% of end user buyers are laypeople, they don't really know domaining, but most end users do know and use Godaddy, so it's easiest to use GD for quick flip domains. Especially since I email right after regging, so it's easier to push a domain to them instantly rather than asking them to wait 60 days to transfer it from some other registrar of mine over to their GD account (or asking them to sign up for an account at a registrar they've never used or heard of). For quick flip domains, it's all about making it easiest for the buyer.

Been regging a lot more quick flip domains this past year, I think over 200 of them, and totally forgot about the DDC discount pricing. After about 25 - 30 regs it pays for itself, so in my case it's well worth it.

Thanks again for the code :)

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, I just used this promo. I knew of the DDC years ago, but entirely forgot about it. I still hand regged domains over the years but did so at cheaper registrars, like Namebright and Namecheap. But this past year I've been regging a lot more quick-flip domains at Godaddy. I differentiate 'quick flip' domains from 'long term' domains. Quick flips are ones I'll email end users for right away, and if they don't sell then I'll let them drop after a year. Long term are ones that I'll hold onto for years, as they may be higher priced, not have clear immediate buyers, but I figure will sell eventually even if it takes some years.

Some examples of quick flip domains I sold this past week are SarasotaPoolCleaning.com, WacoCounseling.com, VegasCollision.com, that kind of thing. I let them go after a year because the moment I reg a domain I email every business I can find for those keywords, any that don't sell I email for again just before the domain expires a year later, and I figure if none of them bite at the domain those two times, there's no point in renewing it for years. The Sarasotapoolcleaning domain I regged this week and sold the next day; the other two were regged a year ago, didn't sell then, but I emailed this week as they are expiring soon, and this time they got bought.

I get my quick flip domains at Godaddy because it seems like 95% of end user buyers are laypeople, they don't really know domaining, but most end users do know and use Godaddy, so it's easiest to use GD for quick flip domains. Especially since I email right after regging, so it's easier to push a domain to them instantly rather than asking them to wait 60 days to transfer it from some other registrar of mine over to their GD account (or asking them to sign up for an account at a registrar they've never used or heard of). For quick flip domains, it's all about making it easiest for the buyer.

Been regging a lot more quick flip domains this past year, I think over 200 of them, and totally forgot about the DDC discount pricing. After about 25 - 30 regs it pays for itself, so in my case it's well worth it.

Thanks again for the code :)
What is your quick flip price range? If you don't mind me asking.

•••
I just came back to domaining and repurchased the GoDaddy DDC earlier this week.

When you use all the saving tools at your disposal, you can save big.

I used a 30% coupon and it cost me 83.92 instead of 119.88.

upload_2017-6-24_14-0-45.png

On top of that, this week the Ebates Canada return is 18%, so I got an additional 18% return.
$15.11 USD which is $19.36 CAD.

upload_2017-6-24_14-6-2.png

So instead of paying $119.88, it cost me only $68.81.

I don't need to buy a lot of domains to repay that DDC subscription.

•••
What is your quick flip price range? If you don't mind me asking.
$225 - $650 for these kinds of quick flip domains. It's always to small businesses or individuals, and this is the range they feel comfortable with for a domain. My longer term domains are priced higher and aimed toward larger companies with larger budgets.

There's some in-between wiggle room too. For example, this week I also sold Bootcamped.com for x,xxx. Probably largely undersold it, could have kept it for years and held out for more... but I picked it up for $59 (Dropcatch) 4 months ago, this was an inbound offer and a good one, so we dickered to his max price and it felt okay to let it go. A little higher than my quick flip priced domains, a little lower than I want to hold out for long term domains, but it was a nice middle-ground sale.

This weekend I'm negotiating for Overdoor.com, another recent Dropcatch pickup... but can't tell if they're going to bite at my price or not. This one I won't let go too cheap. Wish me luck :)

Last edited:
•••
They will continue to lose clients!

•••
You don't have to qualify. It's like $80 bucks to join then per year, but all regges, transfers, etc will be priced at $8.29 or something each. It doesn't take many domains to save alot. I'd think about it.

Interesting, thanks.

Normally, you can also find a coupon so that you'd pay about $60/yr

•••
Hmm... Istanco charges 11.15$ for .com reg, transfer or renewal. Think that is better offer than 13GBP

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back