Dynadot

advice Inbound inquiry won't respond back after initial contact?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silver So

Impact
So an inbound inquiry came via email from a legitimate source (which I verified), and asked me if I am selling a domain name of mine. I then proceed and sent a reply asking for the price, to which I got no response back. It's been a couple of days now.

What would you do if that happened to you? What can I assume from that?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
edited

Last edited:
•••
There is 2 reasons that I think is why that person hasn't replied back.

1. He really wanted the domain name however after you told him the price he has backed away as he will not be able to afford the domain name, which is okay because it's easier to stay silent than to say I don't have the cash.

2. The person is in the thinking phase which after you telling him the price has to decide if he really needs this name as maybe the price is higher than he expected. Also he could be preparing the money so when he replies back he is ready to pay.

Give it few more days if no replies just move on.

•••
There is 2 reasons that I think is why that person hasn't replied back.

1. He really wanted the domain name however after you told him the price he has backed away as he will not be able to afford the domain name, which is okay because it's easier to stay silent than to say I don't have the cash.

2. The person is in the thinking phase which after you telling him the price has to decide if he really needs this name as maybe the price is higher than he expected. Also he could be preparing the money so when he replies back he is ready to pay.

Give it few more days if no replies just move on.

I didn't say the price. Instead I throwed the ball back and asked for the price.

Last edited:
•••
Well sometimes that has the same effect as what I mentioned, it's better for them to know the price as at the end of the day you know what price you will not allow.

•••
ever happened to you? Should I press or just leave it be?

Last edited:
•••
i'd assume:

that they are just another np member
who wanted to see if you would start a thread about it, if they didn't reply.

or

i'd assume they were just phishing for a price and you didn't give one

or

i'd assume maybe they are trying to sell appraisal certificates and just waiting for you to get anxious

or

i'd assume nothing and just count as another tire-kicker

imo....

•••
Happens all the time dude...

Unfortunately, it simply is what it is...part of the game. You replied and the ball is now in their court... if they don't come back to you then ignore it an move on..if they want the domain they will no doubt be in touch... They could also be doing research as to what similar domains are priced at or also see what other options they might have available before they come back to you with an offer. Also, keep in mind that to us domainers, it's a big deal and we sit patiently waiting for their reply... in many cases, if it's an end user they could be busy juggling other stuff related to their business and the domain acquisition is not a primary priority for them. I've had cases where a people got back to me like a month or two after their initial enquiry...

Last edited:
•••
After waiting 1 week I would respond back with a price so they have something to think about. In a lot of cases the end user will think you are probably asking the moon and the sky if you did not provide a price.

Give him a fair price and see what happens.... you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

•••
yes, its better not to ask someone who inquires for a price.. and give it to him in your reply instead.

gl

•••
It's been a "couple of days" and today is Tuesday. If you're too eager (emailing them again quickly) you lose whatever 'I don't give a darn if I sell it' edge you may still have with them.

•••
•••
that they are just another np member
who wanted to see if you would start a thread about it, if they didn't reply.

Caught me with that one then :D

Last edited:
•••
Caught me with that one then :D

well, you never know

they could then post in the thread and give you some advice

tell you something like..... "why not just give them a price"

they could say, "your asking price is too high for that name, it's not worth that much"

or convince you to email them back with lower amount.

not saying it happening, but it could

imo....

•••
So an inbound inquiry came via email from a legitimate source (which I verified), and asked me if I am selling a domain name of mine. I then proceed and sent a reply asking for the price, to which I got no response back. It's been a couple of days now.

What would you do if that happened to you? What can I assume from that?
I think you did everything correctly. It is always better not to quote the price first.

They contacted you asking if domain is for sale, you replied that it is and asked them what price they offer.

If the party is serious and worth your time, they just continue with their reply.

If the party is not serious, playing games, testing, another domainer offering low ball, what ever else you can imagibe - they might expect that you will send them another email, and that would just show how desperately you want to sell the domain. I would not do that - if you want to sell your domains for good prices, you need to avoid all messy people out there :)

•••
I don't claim to be an expert in domain sales, but do know sales in general.
Not saying a price sometimes sends a red flag to buyers, especially when you may be dealing with an end-user who has never bought a domain before

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back