Domain Empire

question I'm registering my first domain without WhoIs privacy. Should I worry about ppl knowing my address?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pathfinderbeacon

Established Member
Impact
I'm registering a domain which does not allow WhoIs privacy. I have this irrational fear that people who will also want the domain will come to my house and ask to buy it lol. Should I be worried at all?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes they might know your address. But as for worrying, I mean it is what it is. Have not heard of any cases where people come knocking looking for a domain name to buy. I'd probably see this as an opportunity. Maybe invite them in for a sip of scotch, and begin negotiations. They did come all that way, after all. Perhaps they rode a horse, looking for some gruel too.

Though looking for trouble because of a domain name, something else altogether.

•••
I would love to have buyers knock on my door saying.. I came to buy domain..here is the cash. sure beats outbound hahaha

so no unless u worry about folk finding u for another reasons... like having 10 xwives or hijacking spacestation etc.. then u need not care about silly little whois..cause.. well no one else does either.. as u see by yer question on this being prolly first ever on np

•••
I'm registering a domain which does not allow WhoIs privacy. I have this irrational fear that people who will also want the domain will come to my house and ask to buy it lol. Should I be worried at all?

Not sure -- but I assume you'd like to sell this name instead of developing it yourself.

If you really like more privacy in whois, get another registrar. For instance, Porkbun's Privacy Service has the option to get this privacy free of charge. They also provide another option, where most details are redacted, except for State and Country info.

Another detail, and that really depends on the exact marketplace you're listing the domain: your personal details may also get disclosed to the buyer at time of transaction.

PS, addition: what TLD is the domain? Does the Registry or Registrar prohibit whois privacy?

And don't ever worry, happy new year.

Last edited:
•••

Would not worry,

But you may get scammy snail mail saying you need to renew your domains for $60+ a name when they are still in your account.

•••
if you are afraid someone will knock on your door and harass you then change the address to the neighbor that you don't like.

•••
I'm actually registering through Porkbun, which doesn't allow .AM privacy. Apparently you can only get it by registering through dot.fm/dot.am/idotz.net, which all seem scammy.

And don't ever worry, happy new year.

Thanks for that bit. I'll go ahead and register. Happy new year!

•••
Lol. It's not an irrational fear.

My country's cctld, .ng/.com.ng (for Nigeria) , does not allow domain privacy. I have had people call me out of the blue, enquiring about the few names I hold in those extensions. Haven't had a visit yet, though

Last edited:
•••
I'm actually registering through Porkbun, which doesn't allow .AM privacy. Apparently you can only get it by registering through dot.fm/dot.am/idotz.net, which all seem scammy.

Thanks for that bit. I'll go ahead and register. Happy new year!

I see. I don't have any experience in that particular TLD, so I'll not be able to provide further advice. Hope you will find an elegant solution :)

Last edited:
•••
I see. I don't have any experience in that particular TLD, so I'll not be able to provide further advice. Hope you will find an elegant solution :)

I just registered it and apparently Porkbun redacts my personal info! It's not the same as WhoIs (which is probably why they say they don't offer WhoIs for .AM domains), but my info is still redacted! Just checked. Thanks again for the encouragement!

•••
Yes they might know your address. But as for worrying, I mean it is what it is. Have not heard of any cases where people come knocking looking for a domain name to buy. I'd probably see this as an opportunity. Maybe invite them in for a sip of scotch, and begin negotiations. They did come all that way, after all. Perhaps they rode a horse, looking for some gruel too.

Though looking for trouble because of a domain name, something else altogether.

Social Media Influencer Sentenced to 14 Years in Federal Prison after Plotting to Hijack Internet Domain

A man who enlisted his cousin to break into a Cedar Rapids man’s home and order him at gunpoint to transfer an Internet domain was sentenced today to 14 years in federal prison.

Rossi Lorathio Adams II, age 27, from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, also known as “Polo,” received the prison term after an April 18, 2019, jury verdict finding him guilty of one count of conspiracy to interfere with commerce by force, threats, and violence.

•••

no

I do it 100%

•••
Most likely nothing to worry about

MakeSURE you can identify scammers and solicitors.

Other than that, you are probably okay

•••
just hand a computer tablet on your door with the landing page, you never know.

You have a better chance of people using that info to come sell you something then to come buy stuff from you.

•••
I'm registering a domain which does not allow WhoIs privacy.

I do not register anything without privacy...had an issue with an idiot many years ago.

All you have to do is have a landing page, whether you build it or not, with a contact form. There are many free marketplaces out there to achieve this.

Many registrars offer free privacy (not going to mention any here as they seem to not be able to take the time to thank posters any more...so I am stopping the free promotion of any of them).

•••

You should worry for your personal info, shouldn't worry for your company info.

•••
  • Generally speaking,If it is used for investment, it is more convenient for buyers to communicate
    • If it's a home address, it's worth hiding it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back