Dynadot

advice I'm hooked!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brian H

Established Member
Impact
hi guys,

i have recently starting buying and trying to sell domains and was wondering if you had any tips as i have a budget that im happy to start out with but would to actually make money :)

i have been bitten by the domain bug pretty bad so really want to make a go at making a decent amount of money doing something i enjoy :)

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks Guys & Girls!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to NamePros. This whole site is full of domaining advice (y)

•••
Welcome to NP

Dont buy or reg any names for at least 6 months, focus on learning what type of names sell

Check out DNJournal.com and Namebio.com to see the regular sales

Put say $500 aside (or what you can afford) and buy a name and try and sell it. Dont fall into the trap that most new domainers do and just start regging names you think are valuable and you will sell them in a year or 2 for x,xxx, it doesn't work like that and the names will end up expiring

You have to understand what makes a name valuable. Rather go and try and buy an expiring/aftermarket name for xxx and sell it rather than hand regging a crappy name and get stuck with it. Hand regging names in this day and age is a huge gamble in 99.9% of cases, just doesnt pay off. You will get new domainers on here that tell you they hand-regged this name and sold it for $250 but what they wont tell you is they also hand-regged 200 (costing $2000) other names that didnt sell, so they are not $250 in profit, they are $1750 down.

So focus on keeping costs/renewals low and buying 1-5 names and then approaching some end-users to try and make a sale. Dont park your names and wait for a buyer to come to you because you will most likely wait years, unless you really pay up for good names

Hope that helps, good luck

•••
Welcome to NP

Dont buy or reg any names for at least 6 months, focus on learning what type of names sell

Put say $500 aside (or what you can afford) and buy a name and try and sell it. Dont fall into the trap that most new domainers do and just start regging names you think are valuable and you will sell them in a year or 2 for x,xxx, it doesn't work like that and the names will end up expiring

You have to understand what makes a name valuable. Rather go and try and buy an expiring/aftermarket name for xxx and sell it rather than hand regging a crappy name and get stuck with it. Hand regging names in this day and age is a huge gamble in 99.9% of cases, just doesnt pay off. You will get new domainers on here that tell you they hand-regged this name and sold it for $250 but what they wont tell you is they also hand-regged 200 (costing $2000) other names that didnt sell, so they are not $250 in profit, they are $1750 down.

So focus on keeping costs/renewals low and buying 1-5 names and then approaching some end-users to try and make a sale. Dont park your names and wait for a buyer to come to you because you will most likely wait years, unless you really pay up for good names

Hi I have been doing a lot of reaseach on how to sell domains on and at the time I didn't realise you could directly approach fitting business with your domain So I'm kind of learning as I go

•••
Just keep your investment little while you are learning, it will give you chance to grab some best domain at minimum cost.

•••
Just keep reading, visit auction and see what sells and brainstorm why was a particular domain sells and copy from there.Cheers and good luck.

•••
Just keep your investment little while you are learning, it will give you chance to grab some best domain at minimum cost.

At the moment I have only invested less than £20 so not just throwing money at them

•••

I wrote this for my good friend and fellow domainer, Manmeet Pal Singh's ebook (Domaininsider.in):

Domain names are marketing tools. Tools to help gain, convert and retain customers. Their value lies in their ability to do so (and the value of those customers).

If a domain name can do that, then it's worth something. If it can do that for a high-value product or service - it's absolutely crucial.

The extent to which a domain name can achieve this aim determines its value.

I've always returned to this definition over the years - I hope it helps you on your journey.

(And welcome to the community!)

Cheers,
Jon

•••
At the moment I have only invested less than £20 so not just throwing money at them
You have bright career in domaining.

Last edited:
•••
@Brian H Welcome to namepros! You have found the ultimate platform for your success in domain speculating! You've already got best advice from my namepros fellows! (y)
Good luck!

•••
read Brain, keep on reading, read and and ready again before purchasing any domain.

personally i will advice you not to focus on brandable domains for now rather focus on 1-2word domains, generic and quality names with real end user value,
welcome to namepros mate.
Good luck

•••
•••
read Brain, keep on reading, read and and ready again before purchasing any domain.

personally i will advice you not to focus on brandable domains for now rather focus on 1-2word domains, generic and quality names with real end user value,
welcome to namepros mate.
Good luck

Would you say they are "easier" to sell??

•••
•••
im not eligible to give advices, just wanna share 2 things

1. coupons
2. promos

•••
Welcome to domainers anonymous :xf.smile:

My name is _________ and I am a domainer.

Just admit you have a problem, it will be easier :xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
I would tell you about emoji domains but I don't want you to overdose with excitement! :happy:

•••
Welcome to NP

Giles Coley has a pretty good handle on it!
No simple, easy answer.
The 'Domain King', Rick Schwartz will teach you anything you need to know
about domain names. Google, read and heed everything 'Rick Schwartz'!

•••
Welcome to NP, best of luck!

•••
The best advice I can give you is TURN OFF AUTO RENEW - the amount of times I've meant to ditch a rubbish domain only to realise it's renewed and i've lost £20 lol

•••
im looking to sell, for around $60-$100 to get me started im not aiming for millions on day one :)

Selling for $60-100 won't get you anywhere. You can price your whole portfolio (assuming it is a newbie portfolio) at below $100 and you won't sell more than 1-2% of it in a year. Which means, you'll end up with a loss, because of the cost of renewals, even not factoring in your cost of acquisition.

•••
stick to short .com's
troll the expired lists.....I love name.com
buying a name someone dropped helps me validate the purchase.
make sure each name you purchase is better than your best name
it should be a clear choice, if your not sure move on.....you will fall in love again soon with a better name
domaining is tough....find the right tools to make it easy.:xf.rolleyes:
rinse and repeat....

Last edited:
•••
Hello am i right in thinking that come the end of or near the end of the year you can cancel domains if you dont not wish to renew :)
Well come to NP. Normally in the Registrar, set the Auto Renew to be Off (so it does not renewautomatically in charge your card)

•••
I read many valuable infos right here.
The more i'm learning the less i'm listing my domain price.
It's been a month already after first domain i owned & listed it for $1199
after sometime $999
then $499 :xf.smile::|

Yea, its because i'm learning the criterias on listing the domain.
Can anybody plz state what would be the best price for my domain name.

Domain: Globalransomware.com

[ i register it thinking it would be best for sites listing the circling cyberattacks & increasing ransomware like #petya. {tech and security related.} ]

•••
hi guys,

i have recently starting buying and trying to sell domains and was wondering if you had any tips as i have a budget that im happy to start out with but would to actually make money :)

i have been bitten by the domain bug pretty bad so really want to make a go at making a decent amount of money doing something i enjoy :)

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks Guys & Girls!

the tips always the same! e.g short domain, 1-2 keywords domain, China pinyin, and etc! but the problems is, you! you don't have patience! :), if I were you I will find something that more fast and profitable :), because if in the first year you can sell a single domain! 30x times from handreg price, then I am sure!it will be hard to believe that domain biz are profitable!

by the way, even if you know the trick to find valuable domain cheap! I am sure, you can't wait for a year! right ? if you have continue, if not better move on :)

•••
Welcome to NP! I'm not qualified to give any advice. But I'll tell you this: Hold your horses!
I've been advised too to resist the temptation of buying a domain as a total novice and I'm happy that I followed it, or rather I'd have been stuck now with a crappy domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back