Dynadot

I'm done with Dropcatch.com

NameSilo
Watch
I'm really fed up with the dropcatch.com system. I work hard to find dropping domains that fly under the radar, but all that work goes down the drain thanks to dropcatch's policy of putting every domain they catch up for public auction. That means that even though I might start off being in an auction against only one person, thanks to my effort the domain is brought to the attention of every one of their clients so that the next thing I know I'm faced with a feeding frenzy and left to choose between paying multiple times what I would have paid if the auction were private, or letting the domain go. I'm done. I won't be giving them another dime until they set up a system that is fair to its users.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you asking them to make less money on you?

•••
you asking them to make less money on you?

If it's good enough for Namejet, snapnames, backorderzone, etc., I'm pretty sure they can manage too. Ultimately, it's up to them to decide what makes them the most money and depending on whether or not other users object to the current system this may or may not be the best way for them to manage their business. All I know is that for the time being I will definitely no longer be contributing to their bottom line.

•••
I always thought it was very cheezy thing for DropCatch to do. I don't use DropCatch very much. So I imagine this hurts when they capture a nice name. Which would stand out like a sore thumb, compared to most domains, I see they have captured. I agree with discobull. I wouldn't use DropCatch to catch a dropping name. For the same reasons he has stated. Too many domainers watching their auctions. They don't appear to be catching that many domains. Last time I looked it was about 3 pages of domains. So I don't think they are a serious threat to SnapNames and NameJet, yet.

•••
You guys are missing the point. If 2 or more people backorder a name using same backorder service, there will definitely be an auction to determine who gets the name after 3 days.

Just because you see a name does not mean that others haven't spotted it.

•••
jidefor that is correct, but Dropcatch system makes it a public auction for everyone to participate even if there were only 2 people who had it backordered at Dropcatch which means more competition which is good for Dropcatch, but not for those 2 :)

•••
From my own experience it takes weeks for them to verify your account. And I am still waiting and therefore unable to bid.

•••
You guys are missing the point. If 2 or more people backorder a name using same backorder service, there will definitely be an auction to determine who gets the name after 3 days.

Just because you see a name does not mean that others haven't spotted it.

Actually, I'm not missing the point, you are. I can see how many people placed an initial backorder vs how many people end up bidding on the auction. If only 2 of us start off in an auction and by the end of it there are 8 bidders and neither I nor the other original bidder end up winning the auction, I think it's safe to say that other dropcatch users have capitalized on our work and that the closing bid was higher than it would have been if we had been placed in a private auction just between the 2 of us. Anyhow, I'm tired of working for the benefit of others so will not use dropcatch until the situation changes.

•••
Agree that is unfair for people who backordered the domains with them. But it's what they're doing, and will continue to do it. You can choose to stay with them, or move on.

•••
From my own experience it takes weeks for them to verify your account. And I am still waiting and therefore unable to bid.

You must be doing something wrong. I got verified in about 1hr. If my memory serves me correctly.

•••
Also when they catch a domain, they forward the domain itself to the auction. So if someone, non domainer, happens to visit the domain because maybe he is interested in acquiring it, I am certain they could most probably sign up and bid on it before auction ends.

•••
•••
Also when they catch a domain, they forward the domain itself to the auction. So if someone, non domainer, happens to visit the domain because maybe he is interested in acquiring it, I am certain they could most probably sign up and bid on it before auction ends.

Yes, I've noticed that too. It's infuriating.

•••
Just 1 small question, discobull. What drop-catchers did DropCatch beat out for this domain.

•••
I'm really fed up with the dropcatch.com system. I work hard to find dropping domains that fly under the radar, but all that work goes down the drain thanks to dropcatch's policy of putting every domain they catch up for public auction. That means that even though I might start off being in an auction against only one person, thanks to my effort the domain is brought to the attention of every one of their clients so that the next thing I know I'm faced with a feeding frenzy and left to choose between paying multiple times what I would have paid if the auction were private, or letting the domain go. I'm done. I won't be giving them another dime until they set up a system that is fair to its users.

All methods are unfair to some aren't they. What if you're an "end user"? This way you get fairer pricing by paying fair value versus having to deal with the overinflated, random valuations of scummy domainers.

I'm sure you'll be missed... and maybe one day you'll bid on some of the open auctions that you didn't backorder when you see one you like still at value. Be sure to inform us when you give them another dime, won't you. Meanwhile, keep going to Snapnames because there's never been a case of paying more than value there.. has there.

•••
Just 1 small question, discobull. What drop-catchers did DropCatch beat out for this domain.
Dropcatch is like every other decent multi-registrar backorder service. They beat GoDaddy, Dynadot, Name and Snapnames at one time or another. They seem about 50-50 with Pheenix in my experience.

I only used DC once and I was the only bidder. It beat Pheenix and Snapnames because I had it there too but it's like the name prioritized fairly low if I was the only bidder.. contained numbers and letters so I don't think it appeared on many people's lists.

But why is the question relevant?

•••

I submit my backorders to all the major dropcatchers -- namejet pheenix, backorderzone, snapnames.

•••
All methods are unfair to some aren't they. What if you're an "end user"? This way you get fairer pricing by paying fair value versus having to deal with the overinflated, random valuations of scummy domainers.

I'm sure you'll be missed... and maybe one day you'll bid on some of the open auctions that you didn't backorder when you see one you like still at value. Be sure to inform us when you give them another dime, won't you. Meanwhile, keep going to Snapnames because there's never been a case of paying more than value there.. has there.

Meh. I don't see the point of putting time into doing research for the benefit of the public at large over my own interest. An end user can do his own research just like everyone else and if it's dropcatch's objective to make things fairer for the end user then they can do that by putting up public auctions for domains they've researched and captured for their own account. I'm a business, not a charity.

•••
@Grace Delete - It's relevant because when I look over the domains up for auction, I mostly only see crap names. To me. I haven't done any research on them. They just look crap. Not one would have been purchased by Huge Domains for example. I just wondered who they were beating for this crap. And how successful they were at beating the other drop-catchers.

•••
Honestly opinions don't really matter, they chose the policy for which they will make the most money, after all its a business and the only thing that matters is profit, and the other thing is, these services are like monopolies, it doesn't matter how bad they are and if they do something wrong, in the end if there is a domain that you really like, your going to use it.

•••
Owner of dropcatch is a domainer himself. it wouldn't be smart to favor end users to bid directly on the platform on the long run because domainers would stop using such service eventually imo. The end user would bid on that domain and probably not use the service anymore. The reseller is the one who brings the repeated business to these dropcatchers / auction houses. But I understand they are focusing on maximizing profit, like any business should. It's a bit backstabbing to domainers imo, but it's their business.

•••
Dang..well that really sucks about them! At least the other outlets don't put it to auction if there aren't multiple bidders. I guess you may be better off using those guys instead!

•••
I never could understand why anyone would order through Dropcatch, unless it was a name you badly needed at any cost. Order elsewhere. If Dropcatch happens to grab it, you can always join that auction later. For whatever reason, that's their business model - and they have been open about it. Yes, it sucks for users, but why are the users there in the first place with those terms?

•••
Dang..well that really sucks about them! At least the other outlets don't put it to auction if there aren't multiple bidders. I guess you may be better off using those guys instead!

To be fair, they don't send domains to auction if they only get one backorder. My beef with their system is that they allow anyone to participate in an auction regardless of whether they'd placed a backorder for a given domain or not. I can see why they'd want to do that since that will naturally drive prices up, but I can't see why I'd want to continue participating in a system that drives up my own costs.

•••
Yeah tbh, I don't really buy any domains from dropcatch, unless I really need it in which case I am forced to use it, as I don't exactly like their policy either, after all I am a domainer

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back