Dynadot

If You Fall for This, Find Another Hobby

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I've posted about these things before, but since they are still circulating it stands to reason that some people must be taking the bait, or so many different other people would not keep casting about.

I get mails like this all the time:

We are selling the domain name xxxxxxxx.com. As the owner of
xxxxxxxx.net if you would like the preferred .COM version we are making
it available. The one cost is $99.97. This includes a year of registration and full
transfer of ownership to you. For details or to purchase see:

http://www.ownthedotcom.com/etc

This is a one time email. If have no interest in this domain we will not contact
you again.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

For most of my older .nets it is not unusual for me to get a dozen or more such companies contacting me, many of whom send mail on a daily basis starting about 30 days ahead of the drop.

And there's the thing -- none of these companies actually own the domains in question. For their "nominal fee" they simply go register a domain and then give it to you, presumably also requiring you to open an account with them and other nonsense.

In every case, if I actually want the domain I just light a candle rather than cursing the dark -- these morons do save me time by doing drop research for me, and I have picked up a few .com variants of .nets that I own (at normal hand reg rates of course.) I just picked one up today, thanks a ton OwnTheDotCom.com, whomever you are :)

Short version: If you fall for this kind of crap you are beyond help, and need to get out of domains right away, not next month or week or even tomorrow. Just close NamePros, forget about your "portfolio," and find something else to do.

Frank

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
some people are into domains because they like developing them , and not building portfolios, but

ty for the info...

•••
I get tons of these - I can't believe so many people are trying to flog the same few names. Yet, I don't spam them. Like you said, they do the research for me.

If I really wanted to be nasty, I could tease them all early on and let them bid against each other for the name.

•••
People like this that say they are "selling" the domain I warn once, then if they send another one I report them as Spammers. The ones that say they "own" the domain when they don't are liars and they are reported without warning.

At best this is SPAM or Unsolicited Commercial Email(UCE), at worst it's a scam that tricks people into buying something for more money than they should have to pay. If you have to lie to people to make a living, then you should consider another line of work... IMO. :)

•••

I once handregged a desired .com because of similar spam I received, offering the very same .com that they obviously did not own.

They wanted $597.00 for it.

I got it for $7.19.

;)

Whenever possible, try to make lemonade out of lemons.

:)

•••
i wonder how many people actually fall into this goofy attempt

•••
•••
i wonder how many people actually fall into this goofy attempt

I would assume plenty, otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it over and over again.

•••
this is what i call "domain DropShipping" :P

Last edited:
•••
•••
seriously... i love these guys (haha)

like dominance said .. 'They Do All The Work For Me'

I happen to own a bunch of dot info names and they constantly email to inform me of a matching dot com or dot net that's about to drop... even if i don't sell another dot info from this batch the names they have tipped me off on (and were ultimately registered by me) were, alone, worth every penny paid to that dot info collection. I've even considered buying more as a drop catching strategy.

It's like having a free, 'virtual' employee!!

thanks a ton OwnTheDotCom.com, whomever you are :)

:)

•••
This is perfect for the saying "If it sounds too Good to be true It probably is" I don't know why people still fall for the same old . I got one of those , Want to buy your domain and I played with the guy and he buggered off . Never tried me again. If you are new and get any offer.. Do some Searching ,Guaranteed the DN name or Email is Everywhere and you will find in a hurry its a scam.

Last edited:
•••
Like most spam, it's probably only effective on less than .1 percent of the people it's sent to.

But really, that's all they need since they don't have to make any investments until someone emails them back. In a way it's deviously brilliant.

•••
it is an exact opposite (but same in the context) of:

"Hi there, I'm interested in buying your domain cars.com. I'm ready to offer you $7000 for it, which is quite reasonable during these times of recession. Please let me know if your interested. If not I wont be bothering you again with the same offer. cheers abc"

Does the above offend you? If it doesn't, then just take the mails like the ops as a marketing stint (a cheap one agreed) and leave it at that.

•••
re

I just got about 5 of these emails within 2 days about 2 weeks ago. Its funny you mention this because there are people who fall for it more than you think

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back