NameSilo

If you bought a domain that's regged @ Domain.com, NetFirms, Dotster or MyDomain- Please Read This

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi everybody. If you registered domains at Domain.com and/or one of its sister companies (NetFirms, Dotster and MyDomain) or bought a domain that was registered in one of these registrars and was pushed to you- you need to read this.

1. Pushes between accounts don't change owner details. So if you're an old owner, you'll get renewal notices and if you're a new owner you have to change the e-mail address and the rest of the details manually. You might lose your domain/domains otherwise because you won't know about renewals. I started receiving renewal notices for domains I used to own and from a quick check, I'll get a lot more notices soon. So please edit the contact details if you bought a domain that was registered in one of these registrars.

2. New accounts are automatically set up with a hosting account that's scheduled to renew. If you have a payment method in the system you'll be charged for hosting if you don't change it. Make sure you downgrade your account to a 'Parking account'. @dotbay gave these instructions a few months ago so I'm copypasting them (thanks, dotbay):
  • To deactivate your hosting account you must log in and go to Account -> Account renewal. Select “Downgrade to Domain Parking Account”. Then click change status. You will see a popup window with a 1800 number. close it. Then, click on downgrade account. Select a reason then click Downgrade again

I'm tagging some members that I sold domains to or that I think are using these registrars. If I tagged you by mistake, my apology. Please consider tagging other members who you know are using these registrars so everybody will know about these issues. Also, you should probably notify any people you sold domains to about these matters. Thanks.

@domainer111, @Keith DeBoer, @NamesMax, @stub, @JudgeMind,
@slimjim270, @Theydon, @UXela, @sunriseavenue, @FastBrand,
@BrandXDomains, @Grilled, @thekiller, @Arief WN, @Violets, @omnia,
@marcusofplymout, @ruckus7, @wwwweb, @bazabizo, @pokainc,
@martinooo, @iAchilles, @Shams, @domainerx, @mginc,
@Ted Levy, @Saeid Nejati, @BrandFishing, @brandsly, @imadoer,
@pqr, @ruzeen, @xarunasx, @Gunjan Maheshwari, @bubblemedialtd,
@championshipforum, @Shadwan, @Haroon Basha, @Kachi, @service11.
@ikehook, @Simdes, @AndrewRice, @Enwych, @DomainerY,
@Azwan Asban, @fabmy, @PlentyOfBrands, @mahamadoca,
@dotbay, @mohawki, @sam roy, @tvanrijt, @rivey001,
@SuperDomains.EU, @delta4, @Nerevar, @sweetdomains,
@egidijusd, @namerav, @Abdullah Abdullah,
@Andish, @ceriayhan, @Domain1031, @BullDomains, @sirlordcomic,
@Brandworthy, @main, @Simdes, @Aditya321, @Nat Hunt, @Michael M,
@DanSanchez, @DomainZombie, @UXela, @lolwarrior, @joro001,
@rainapple123, @L2 Media, @eckhardt, @DKN, @kaposzta, @fernandez

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks @Domainstore . I was aware of the possibility to bulk edit and change these details for 200 domains but maybe this'll be unknown to other people. At the moment, by the way, Domain.com and all of its sister companies removed the option to push domains between accounts without using support. Hopefully this might be temporary and not a permanent thing. If it isn't temporary there are currently two options I'm aware of to push domains-

1. Either the buyer or the seller have to give each other the answer to the security question in order to initiate the push using support (which I think is pretty damn insane from a security perspective).

2. The seller can ask their support to remove the domain (listing) from their account. Then once it's removed, the buyer can use the 'add existing' feature to add the domain to their account.

Both options aren't ideal, so hopefully the option to push domains will be enabled again.

Last edited:
•••
I hope so too @stellarname. Just now a seller had to give his security answer. And on the phone somebody from Domain.com made a ticket, and then I could enter the list of names that I bought and had to be moved to me. He said that it would take 24 or 48 hours till I will have an answer, and the domains will arrive in my account.
I hope they will learn from this.

•••
I was going to post this as well, horrible experience, 2 hours with their support team. I would refrain from everything that needs a push from these registrars until they bring bak the push functionality.

They will bring it back, it just had security issues apparently. They could not see the irony in trying to increase security, but now requiring me to ask a buyer for the answer to his security question, which I could then use to change his password and login to his account.

•••
I was going to post this as well, horrible experience, 2 hours with their support team. I would refrain from everything that needs a push from these registrars until they bring bak the push functionality.

They will bring it back, it just had security issues apparently. They could not see the irony in trying to increase security, but now requiring me to ask a buyer for the answer to his security question, which I could then use to change his password and login to his account.

Thanks @tranrijt. Glad to hear that they'll bring it back. I hope that's indeed the case. They don't really operate with much logic sometimes. This security answer matter is absurd. What's the point of having a secret question to secure your account if you're supposed to give the answer to someone else?

•••
Thanks @tranrijt. Glad to hear that they'll bring it back. I hope that's indeed the case. They don't really operate with much logic sometimes. This security answer matter is absurd. What's the point of having a secret question to secure your account if you're supposed to give the answer to someone else?
I know, right? It is bad enough that you have to ask support to open up an account (which basically rules out all end users before the transfer lock). Now this...

•••
Recently two of my domains went to a wrong account holders when I pushed them at Domain.com. It could be I'm not alone so they decide to remove this feature until they fix the issue.

•••
Hey everybody. I'm asking again- if you bought a domain from me (or from anybody else for that matter), please update the e-mail and contact details to your e-mail and contact details otherwise you won't get expiration notices and might lose your domains.

I'm getting tons of "renewal is due" messages on domains that were bought from me at Domain.com and its sister companies. I started contacting a few people but finding out who bought what and when is hard, time consuming and sometimes impossible. I don't mind getting these e-mails from the registrars but I don't want anybody to lose domains because they aren't aware of expiration. So please... check all of your domains and change all of the contact details to yours (it's a good practice to do with all registrars always because often the contact details of previous owners remain there). Thanks and sorry for the bother, especially if this doesn't concern you!

@domainer111, @Keith DeBoer, @NamesMax, @stub, @JudgeMind,
@slimjim270, @Theydon, @UXela, @sunriseavenue, @FastBrand,
@BrandXDomains, @Grilled, @thekiller, @Arief WN, @Violets, @omnia,
@marcusofplymout, @ruckus7, @wwwweb, @bazabizo, @pokainc,
@martinooo, @iAchilles, @Shams, @domainerx, @mginc,
@Ted Levy, @Saeid Nejati, @BrandFishing, @brandsly, @imadoer,
@pqr, @ruzeen, @xarunasx, @Gunjan Maheshwari, @bubblemedialtd,
@championshipforum, @Shadwan, @Haroon Basha, @Kachi, @service11.
@ikehook, @Simdes, @AndrewRice, @Enwych, @DomainerY,
@Azwan Asban, @fabmy, @PlentyOfBrands, @mahamadoca,
@dotbay, @mohawki, @sam roy, @tvanrijt, @rivey001,
@SuperDomains.EU, @delta4, @Nerevar, @sweetdomains,
@egidijusd, @namerav, @Abdullah Abdullah,
@Andish, @ceriayhan, @Domain1031, @BullDomains, @sirlordcomic,
@Brandworthy, @main, @Simdes, @Aditya321, @Nat Hunt, @Michael M,
@DanSanchez, @DomainZombie, @UXela, @lolwarrior, @joro001,
@rainapple123, @L2 Media, @eckhardt, @DKN, @kaposzta, @fernandez

Last edited:
•••
I noticed a while back that even though I had bulk updated my Contact details, when I went to transfer some names out, the previous owner's e-mail was still showing in the Transfer section (where the red bar is):

dotster.jpg

The way to fix that is you have to bulk Modify the names and click Refresh WHOIS.

dotster2.jpg

•••
Thanks for that, @Nat Hunt. I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps that's why I keep getting renewal messages. Maybe people already changed the details but the whois isn't changed. So please refresh the whois, everybody, with domains you bought, especially in Domain.com, Netfirms, Dotster and MyDomain. I'm presuming that even though the contact details may be changed in these registrars, because the whois isn't refreshed the owners won't get notifications about renewals. If that's the case, there will be a lot of people who won't be aware of pending renewals and that could lead to a lot of people losing domains they bought.

Last edited:
•••
Very helpful information, nice!
Any update about Push Domains Between Accounts Button/without using support? Hope this temporary, even PDR resellers are more easier to push domains between accounts.

•••
@ET76 - this thread pre-dates the Dec 1, 2016 ICANN whois regulation change, so we had to figure out a better way to do this entirely

The updated information is in the main domfam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster thread
https://www.namepros.com/posts/6116445/

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back