Domain Empire

IDNS - my first tiny steps!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Finally got hooked- albeit a little late.

I am sure there are some gems out there but I think from my first foray you would need to specializ/se in areas you are familiar with.

Anyway, having a familiarity with Thai - I proceeded to check all prime potential names.
99% of the top names had aleady been taken :!: Some as far back as 2001 - I hadn't even started in the domain biz then :!: :td:

After a lot of searching- checking I finally found a few - my favourite is แปล.com ( XN--S3CU6F.COM )- would you believe it means translate. :)

A couple of tips for those interested in getting in to IDNS- I am sure the pros will tell me if I am on the wrong track.

1) Check , check and check again before registering :!: There are plenty of translation tools out there - find the one that specializ/ses in the ones you are interested in.

2) This is the one I used for Thai translations: http://dict.longdo.org/?search=8&service= .

Very simple, type in the word you want to check then press search.

3) The search will probably come in with quite a few examples. This is where "check" comes in. In my case I went to Google.co.th (Google Thai). Check each translation by searching the term and note the number of searches- if it is under 100,000 in Thai then probably not worth it (Other languages, particularly Chinese I would think you would need a minimum of 1 million)

If available - then check overture for that particular country, another good indicator of potential.

4) Check your name at one of the IDN sellers, if it is available ( you could do this first of course) You then need to find the :
"puny code" ( XN--S3CU6F.COM ) -use this tool: http://sebi.axone.ch/idn/

( IE7 will allow users to enter their own language in to the browser, for now most will need the "puny code" to check)

Just paste in your "word" - แปล.com and if it is correct up will come the puny code.

5) If you are satisfied that the name is correct, meets the search criteria etc- then go ahead and reg it :!:

6) You can park at a few places- I used Namedrive- very simple and effective and quick.

Check out my first attempt: www.XN--S3CU6F.COM

Don't expect much now but next year IE7 could change the whole face of the internet JMO

Good luck.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great news wot...Welcome to the IDN club :)

Maybe this will start a blook style stampede too !!

David

•••
Im now hesitating to buy a 3 letter idn (.com), which is a city name in two countries, one with 20k+ population... what do you think?

•••
Wot, you just inspired me to get my first Thai domain: ทีวี.tv. :]

•••
Ben said:
Wot, you just inspired me to get my first Thai domain: ทีวี.tv. :]

And what does that mean? :)

•••
TV. :guilty:

Last edited:
•••
davybuk said:
Great news wot...Welcome to the IDN club :)

Maybe this will start a blook style stampede too !!

David

Who knows :)

Would Book in Chinese be Blook :hehe:

•••
•••
Welcome To Domaining 2.0

IDN's Are trully Domaining 2.0... If you want to Buy and IDN and get it Correct Please Check out the Tutorial at www.IDNebook.com There is some very usefull information for Newbies there :)

•••
welcome to Thai IDN!

I also got a few premium domain a few days ago since I'm Thai so it quite easy for me to grab one even it quite late. :)

Just be careful when register ANY IDN domain, only search for domain when you want to register it. I'm quite sure someone monitored it with Thai registrar privilege, but IMO they're English company which I found out from whois contact. I'm quite sure because I found 4-5 domain was reg'd after I do searched only 2 hours!

These're domain I'm talking about: :(
สปา.com (spa)
ลดความอ้วน.com (WeightLoss)
กล้วยไม้.com (Orchid)
ปราณบุรี.com (Pranburi)

Wot, แปล.com is nice!

•••
thaiboy said:
welcome to Thai IDN!

I also got a few premium domain a few days ago since I'm Thai so it quite easy for me to grab one even it quite late. :)

Just be careful when register ANY IDN domain, only search for domain when you want to register it. I'm quite sure someone monitored it with Thai registrar privilege, but IMO they're English company which I found out from whois contact. I'm quite sure because I found 4-5 domain was reg'd after I do searched only 2 hours!

These're domain I'm talking about: :(
สปา.com (spa)
ลดความอ้วน.com (WeightLoss)
กล้วยไม้.com (Orchid)
ปราณบุรี.com (Pranburi)

Wot, แปล.com is nice!

Thaiboy- How about this one?

ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ.com xn--12c0bkj0bgdja2bi0a8azebbc8b4dza21a.com

I had also put "orchid" on my list a couple of days ago!!

•••
wot said:
Thaiboy- How about this one?

ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ.com xn--12c0bkj0bgdja2bi0a8azebbc8b4dza21a.com

I had also put "orchid" on my list a couple of days ago!!

LOL Now I know who he is!!
Give me these domain back! :'( :'( :'(

Anyway, IMO ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ.com is too long, you still have a lot better word to reg'd.

•••
thaiboy said:
LOL Now I know who he is!!
Give me these domain back! :'( :'( :'(

Anyway, IMO ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ.com is too long, you still have a lot better word to reg'd.

No, I did not get "orchid" somebody else did.

ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ.com

it's the new airport , what else could I get that would say the name? ดอนเมือง.com?

•••
Wot, there're so many variation for it such as:
สนามบิน (airport -informal word, Thai usually prefer this than ท่าอากาศยาน which is formal)
สนามบินหนองงูเห่า
สนามบินสุวรรณภูมิ
หนองงูเห่า

IMO I'm not sure that even end user would buy it or not??? They would preferred english name. Only a little Thai people would search for ท่าอากาศยานสุวรรณภูมิ in a few year to come.

What Thai would search are:
ตั๋วเครื่องบิน (Air tickets)
การบินไทย (Thai Airways - The same guy reg'd it yesterday!)
สายการบิน (Airlines)
จองตั๋วเครื่องบิน (book air ticket - maybe still available)

There're informal and formal in Thai words , there's a simple rule, pick informal words for informal category and formal words for formal category. We use informal words in everyday conversation and use formal words for letters, business, government. Check google result if you're not sure which one to pick.

I've enough Thai PortFolio now so don't worry if you have any question to ask about Thai IDN, just post here or PM me.

•••
Thanks but equally think I have enough now- my personal favourites:

วารสาร.com

ภาษาต่างประเทศ.com

จังหวัด.com

คุยกัน.com

วัสดีส Khrap :gl:

•••
thaiboy said:
I've enough Thai PortFolio now so don't worry if you have any question to ask about Thai IDN, just post here or PM me.

Thai Is definetly Not My speacialty , Im a Japanese Idner to heart but here are a few i picked up that i Never had confirmed and havent looked at them since this thread

เกมส์คอมพิวเตอร์.com computergames.com
เครื่องคอมพิวเตอร์.com computer.com
ประเทศจีน.com China.com
โตเกียว.net tokyo.net
การประกันชีวิต.com lifeinsurance.com
หลักทรัพย์.net stocks / realty.net
ควบคุมอาหาร.com diet.com
เบียร์.net beer.net
ดร.com dr.com
ซ่อง.com brothel.com
ข้อมูลของ.com website.com
ล่องเรือ.net cruise.net
ออมทรัพย์.com savings.com
นักลงทุน.com investor.com
ยาปฏิชีวนะ.com antibiotic.com
โรคเอดส์.com AIDS.com
ไข้หวัดใหญ่.com flu.com
มรกต.com emerald.com
บุษราคัม.com Topaz.com
ราศีตุล.com Libra.com
ราศีพิจิก.com Scorpio.com
ราศีมกร.com Capricorn.com
ราศีกุมภ์.com Aquarius.com
ราศีมีน.com Pisces.com
ราศีธันว์.com Sagittarius.com

•••
•••
Hi, the genius

I'm also interested in Japanese IDN but I don't know so much about japan so I don't have any.

Nice domains, many potentials:
ออมทรัพย์.com savings.com
นักลงทุน.com investor.com
มรกต.com emerald.com
บุษราคัม.com Topaz.com
เกมส์คอมพิวเตอร์.com computergames.com

Formal domains (these words used in documentation, news reports and likes) which there're informal variations:
ประเทศจีน.com China.com - จีน is better
เครื่องคอมพิวเตอร์.com computer.com - คอมพิวเตอร์ is better
การประกันชีวิต.com lifeinsurance.com - ประกันชีวิต is better
ยาปฏิชีวนะ.com antibiotic.com - ยาแก้อักเสบ is informal one.
โรคเอดส์.com AIDS.com - เอดส์ is informal one.
ไข้หวัดใหญ่.com flu.com - ไข้ = fever ไข้หวัด/หวัด also have meaning and used widely. ไข้หวัดนก = bird flu

IMO Not so good domains:
ซ่อง.com brothel.com - may get some traffic but ne end users because it illegal here!
ราศีมกร.com Capricorn.com - misspelling, ราศีมังกร is correct one.
ราศีธันว์.com Sagittarius.com - misspelling, ราศีธนู is correct one.

Many of these are 2-3 word domains, I believed there're still a lot good 1 word domains left.

•••
thaiboy said:
Many of these are 2-3 word domains, I believed there're still a lot good 1 word domains left.

I think i only posted 2 , Two word domains and i dont see any 3's

Can you confirmation on these please thanks

โตเกียว.net tokyo.net
หลักทรัพย์.net stocks / realty.net
ควบคุมอาหาร.com diet.com
เบียร์.net beer.net
ดร.com dr.com
ข้อมูลของ.com website.com
ล่องเรือ.net cruise.net

•••
does anyone get any traffic from their IDN domains from international web surfers????

•••
does anyone get any traffic from their IDN domains from international web surfers????
Yes, there is traffic to IDNs at the moment - even though a very small fraction of online users can actually access these names (because most us IE6). And most of the traffic appears to come from Europe or Asia. North American traffic (usually speculators) seems to account for only a small percentage.

Russian IDNs seem to get the most traffic, but Arabic, Japanese, and many others get traffic as well. When IE7 is widely adopted we will see the true extent of IDN traffic.

•••
why do you think Russian IDNs get the most traffic?

what browser is popular there?

•••
111111z said:
why do you think Russian IDNs get the most traffic?

what browser is popular there?
I'm not really sure but I think Firefox and Opera have slightly higher penetration in Russia than elsewhere.

•••
are .Net IDN domains also good or should you stick with .Com

•••
It really depends on the language and the keyword. If 'hotel.net' was available in Chinese or Japanese or nearly any language for that matter I probably would pick it up. I'd mostly likely stick to the best keywords for .net though - .com will always be king.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back