NameSilo

IDN translation

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am just getting into the domain game. I was just wondering how I can convert the words I am interested in, into the native language or code or whatever so I can put it into the typein bar on a regeistrar to see if it is avaliable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Many registrars are IDN compatible so you can just input the unicode directly into the search bar. - Dynadot, Domainsite, Moniker.

Dynadot and Domainsite will also show the punycode after you do a search. Check it out.

•••
unicode?

Could you tell me what unicode is? And how I find out the unicode for a word?
thanks

•••
Unicode is the native representation - for example - 東京 is in unicode. The punycode representation of 東京 would be xn--1lqs71d. From a domain perspective xn--1lqs71d.com is equivalent to 東京.com.

For more info on unicode see Wikipedia

•••
I guess my problem is I don't know what that chinese symbol means. How would I figure that out? I guess what I am trying to do is come up with english words or phrases. Convert them to the chinese format or french or whatever. In puny code I guess. and then put it in and see if its avalible. I have really know Idea how to do that. And help would be greatly appreciated

•••
Sounds like you are looking for a translator or dictionary. There are various ones around the web - do a Google search for the specific language you're targeting.

Here are a few to get you started:

Chinese - mdbg.net

Japanese - Jim Breen's Dictionary

Various - Google language Tools

Now, it's not quite as simple as seeing if a translated word or phrase is available and registering it. You need to make sure it's the correct translation and the most used version. You also need to check if that term is popular in the language you're looking. All these things take some work - luckily there are plenty of tools available online that can help.

Overture for various languages can help. The number of search results returned by Google is also a good indicator. The best thing you can do right now is register with Dynadot. They allow you a 5 day grace period so you can return the domain and receive credit. I suggest if you plan to register some IDNs, use Dynadot, then ask around on a couple of forums. Hopefully some knowledgeable native can tell you if you have a good domain. If not you can get your money back.

Last edited:
•••
Okay thanks. I will check into some of that stuff. I should maybe just try concentrating on american stuff right now. I have only been at this 2 weeks. Have actually learned quite a bit so far. Did just register a couple at dynabot. I think that is great that five day grace period thing. I have them parked at Sedo, but so far no hits or offers :'( So is the only way then you can generate parking revenue is if someone actually types your domain into the address bar? I think it would be hard if know one knows about your site?

Gotta go play poker in 15 thats my other job :hehe:

by the way. That overture tool never seems to work for me. Is always down or not working or something.

•••
didn't see Fabs post, maybe some this will help as well (edit)
check out the dictionaries on Fab's website IDNs.ws for a great list of dictionaries.

make sure you get the correct grammitical form of the word (ie russian).
make sure you get the most popular form of the word. for example go to www.mdbg.net for chinese names take "hotel" you get many definitions, use google, trends, and other tools to decide which is the best. For this particular term I think there is a discussion about it over at IDNF.

for "investment" 投资 its a little more clear cut, except there is a simplified Chinese(used mostly on the mainland) version and a traditional version (Tiawain mainly). the simplified is blocked since the traditional one is registered.

Good luck, as Fab said reg at dynadot get an appraisal from a native and most of all have fun IDNing.

tee1

Last edited:
•••
okay i'll give it a whirl thanks

•••
I suggest doing a bit of research instead of using online translators. Wasted a couple hundred when first started out.

•••
good point, find a popular website and scrap the navigation and sitemap for keywords. Still rely on the other tools as well to confirm value of the words.
regards
tee1

Fka200 said:
I suggest doing a bit of research instead of using online translators. Wasted a couple hundred when first started out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back