.....in french

égal.com - equal
libéral.com - liberal

and swedish...

ända.com - end/posterior/behind/bum
över.com - over/about

short, catchy IDNs. thoughts? values?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like generic nouns in any language.

Not a French native so I can't really comment, but normally with a little research you can find out if your domains are worthwhile or not. I managed to pick up a French domain 2 months ago that is already in profits w/ PPC. Good trends/French overture...

BUT I also picked up some French that have made $0. It all depends how familiar you are with the language/amount of research done on making good calls.

•••
Is there a good resource out there for explaining IDN names?

•••
•••
fka, thanks. i'm still surprised that IDNs haven't found more of a market. inet penetration is on the rapid rise in all parts of the world; so i guess (hope!) it's only a matter of time. where do you stand on IDN.com as opposed to IDN.cd (country domain)? i know each has it's benefits and attractions, but i'd like to think .com will always be popular, no matter the language....

the search numbers for these names are really good. where do you find the french overture and other numbers?

rl, sent you an email. quite the "sponsorship" to boot. this page is bounded by your ad....

Last edited:
•••
mike55 said:
fka, thanks. i'm still surprised that IDNs haven't found more of a market. inet penetration is on the rapid rise in all parts of the world; so i guess (hope!) it's only a matter of time.

I totally agree :!:
2/3 of the world population don't speak english and 1/3 of the webpages aren't written in english!
With the spreading of the web and the IDN-compliant browsers the IDN market will grow very much :bingo:

•••
mike55 said:
fka, thanks. i'm still surprised that IDNs haven't found more of a market. inet penetration is on the rapid rise in all parts of the world; so i guess (hope!) it's only a matter of time. where do you stand on IDN.com as opposed to IDN.cd (country domain)? i know each has it's benefits and attractions, but i'd like to think .com will always be popular, no matter the language....

the search numbers for these names are really good. where do you find the french overture and other numbers?

rl, sent you an email. quite the "sponsorship" to boot. this page is bounded by your ad....

I, for one, have been hush hush about it. It hasn't been since recently where I've been exploring talking to people about IDNs and what the future has to hold with them.

If you've been in the game, you'd know why. And when I mean in the game I mean have quality domains and have witnessed what has occurred in the last year with IDNs.

In regards to .com... you just can't go wrong. I also like .net... but only for the Arabic market. Other than that, it is .com all the way for me unless a geo domain and/or super generic like chat, videos, etc.

"but i'd like to think .com will always be popular, no matter the language...."

Yep!

•••
mike55 said:
IDN.cd (country domain)

The correct term is IDN.ccTLD (country-code top-level domain)

Rick Latona said:
Is there a good resource out there for explaining IDN names?

Probably the best resource on the net, IDNF, has sadly been abandoned by it's administrator since 4 months now, and is experiencing intermittent operation due to periodic database failures, etc.

Other than that, there are many members here who are old-timers there, so there is a whole lot of expert knowledge monitoring this section of namepros. Ask away.

•••
Fka200 said:
I

In regards to .com... you just can't go wrong. I also like .net... but only for the Arabic market. Other than that, it is .com all the way for me unless a geo domain and/or super generic like chat, videos, etc.

Is there any reasons for liking the .net only in the Arabic market? Are Arabic names the best or most advanced in terms of value at this stage?

•••
htmlindex said:
Is there any reasons for liking the .net only in the Arabic market? Are Arabic names the best or most advanced in terms of value at this stage?

Simple, there are 24 arabic speaking countries. That creates more demand for good arabic domains.

•••
jacksonm said:
Simple, there are 24 arabic speaking countries. That creates more demand for good arabic domains.

That and .net is widely used in Arabic speaking countries.

•••
Remember though that when idn names will take off will be a direct result of all of the testing that is being done with Idn.idn
There is a push to release multiple new cctld domains so this will impact what is being done.

Russia is set to release the .po mid to late 2008 (sorry for not using idn characaters :)) so this may very well impact the future of russian idns.
Korean survey shows that most people want the extension to be in their own language set at well.
Expect to see in the near future
.РФ for russia
something like .한국어
and more coming out. >many more

This may strengthen the .com market in the long run as I suspect that the language specific domains will be reserved to residents of the country. .com will always be king as the market is so wide across the world.

It may very well though decrease the value of the lesser domains. Most people would rather reg something in the .com or an extension of their own country language, especially since it will be much easier to type.

.net is widely accepted but not in all areas. In some countries .org is used more than .net Get them keep them until it is clear what is going to happen.

.biz as well is known but as it is in the USA it is not a widely used domain. (Some still state that .biz was and is a failure, at least the business side did not pick up on it very well)

.tv is very questionable. TV is not a world wide known short for television now, but in many areas it is. I would be careful about regging the TV's even though there are many of them available. They are costly, and the traffic is light. Of course if its a good keyword get it and hang onto it. I have (Japanese) sex.tv "to brag" another here has the (Business),tv Words like this in any language are worth the reg.

Make sure you validate the words you reg. There is a post in here that gives great advise abut regging garbage domains. Its a new idners common mistake to reg garbage. I have many.

There are great resources, so use them. I am not going to post them because I dont want all the good names to go ... most are. This has been going on since 2000 and I have a "few hints" as 2 who owns a great stock of them, You know who you are..... and thank you for your help!!!!!!!

Its hours to find the right domains and hundreds of mistakes. You will also be scorned upon as a fruit for regging them from people who still dont like them. But its what is going to happen, like it or not.

Good luck

•••
lipps said:
Its a new idners common mistake to reg garbage.

And it's fraud to realize your mistakes and subsequently try to sell them to other newbies.

•••
lipps said:
Remember...

Good luck

I have a few IDN.com domains. Do you think that I will have the opportunity to register the corresponding ones IDN.IDN or IDN.cc before the others domainers?
thanks

•••
I would say its wrong if it was done with mal intent. Many people do not have ethics, so as in any world its buyer beware.

There are still many out there but they are going. It is still going to be a 3 to 5 year investment.

•••
lipps said:
There are still many out there but they are going. It is still going to be a 3 to 5 year investment.

3-5 year investment for what? You're not earning anything parking?

•••
there's lots of talk here of IDNs. bottom line is they make up a very, very small percentage of the resale or auction market. you just have to look at the figures to see this.

IDN.ccTLD is a mature market. lots of sites worldwide in this category. in some instances though, you can't have IDN.ccTLD. eg. someone show me a (non-ascii only) frenchIDN.fr.

IDN.com has it's niche and holds value. trick is to unlock it. however, just like any .com, good names will always find a home. junk is junk, no matter the language.

•••
Lets just say this year if it continues as is I may make enough to cover the reg fees.

•••
mike55 said:
there's lots of talk here of IDNs. bottom line is they make up a very, very small percentage of the resale or auction market. you just have to look at the figures to see this.

This is the IDN discussion section.

mike55 said:
IDN.ccTLD is a mature market. lots of sites worldwide in this category. in some instances though, you can't have IDN.ccTLD. eg. someone show me a (non-ascii only) frenchIDN.fr.

No, IDN.ccTLD or IDN.anything are not in a mature market. The prices are still relatively low now, but climbing sharply by the day.

You can not classify "cars.jp" as an IDN.ccTLD - it's an ASCII.ccTLD.

An IDN.ccTLD would be like "köln.de" or ".北京.cn"
An IDN.com would be like "köln.com" or "北京.com"

IDN registrations are not permitted under the French ccTLD (.fr) - ASCII only.

mike55 said:
IDN.com has it's niche and holds value. trick is to unlock it. however, just like any .com, good names will always find a home. junk is junk, no matter the language.

Do you think that everybody who doesn't speak english is in a niche? You know there are like 1 billion chinese people who would rather visit 北京.com than beijing.com?

Do you realize that there are people here who have IDN.COM domains which get 30k uniques a month via type-in? Some more than that.

•••
jackson, i'm a fan of IDNs and see great potential in them. take the example i brought up and you agreed with, "IDN registrations are not permitted under the French ccTLD (.fr) - ASCII only."

if the french can't use their own language and ccTLD to register names, wouldn't it make sense that the .com version (or other TLD that accepts punycode) would be the only choice?

yet, there are few developed sites and even fewer sales reported.

Last edited:
•••
mike55 said:
jackson, i'm a fan of IDNs and see great potential in them. take the example i brought up and you agreed with, "IDN registrations are not permitted under the French ccTLD (.fr) - ASCII only."

if the french can't use their own language and ccTLD to register names, wouldn't it make sense that the .com version (or other TLD that accepts punycode) would be the only choice?

yet, there are few developed sites and even fewer sales reported.

Yes, it's very strange as to why the French don't permit IDN.fr . They can use their own language - not all French words contain accents...

I have seen French end-users regging IDN.COM, you just need to know where to look.

There are more developed IDN sites in Japan than probably anywhere else at the moment. You just need to know how to look.

Example for google:

http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&q=xn--&btnG=Google+検索&lr=lang_ja

Some of those results are for subdomains, but a good many of them are for actual IDN.jp, IDN.com, etc.

Sales are kept under NDA per the buyer's demand at this time in the game. You use your own imagination to understand why.

•••
Ok, so IDNs are worth trying. But, where to go for more detailed explanation of the topic? I don't seem to find anything but Wikipedia article. :)

•••
seojunkie said:
Ok, so IDNs are worth trying. But, where to go for more detailed explanation of the topic? I don't seem to find anything but Wikipedia article. :)

Come on Over To IDNF

•••
Love all this stuff on IDN but how do you search for names??

•••
mona979 said:
Love all this stuff on IDN but how do you search for names??

Go to your registrar and type or copy/paste names into the search box, click the search button, see if they are available.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back