Dynadot

registrars ICANN shuts down Alpnames domain name registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Domain name overseer ICANN has shut down registrar Alpnames after the registrar seemingly went dark.

I received an email from a customer about a week ago complaining about not being able to log in to his account. Kevin Murphy at DomainIncite has done a good job tracking the situation at Alpnames.

The termination will be a good test of the mechanisms ICANN put in place after RegisterFly was shuttered many years ago. Yes, other registrars have been terminated, but Alpnames is fairly large in terms of domains under management. It is the ninth-largest registrar for new top level domain names. At one point it had some common ownership with Famous Four Media, which offered its domains at cut-rate prices.

It was also shut down without warning.

Let’s hope that Alpnames was properly escrowing its domain ownership data.

Just last year in February, the company put out a press release stating that “Iain Roache has increased his ownership of AlpNames a leading domain registrar and web hosting company by acquiring a further 20% of the Company’s share capital for a consideration (including combined costs) of £3.9 million with a view to growing the business into a Tier 1 registrar.”

That didn’t work out.

The demise of Alpnames is another reminder to choose a domain name registrar you trust to be in it for the long haul.

https://domainnamewire.com/2019/03/14/icann-shuts-down-alpnames-domain-name-registrar/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IS ALPNAMES BAQ?? Just got this email :tightlyclosedeyes:

AlpNames Limited,

Your orders are expiring soon.
Renew them now.

Some of your orders are expiring soon (or have already expired.) Please renew them before they are deleted to avoid loss of data.

Order ID Product Expiry Date Deletion Date
82332759 Domain Registration
Domain: hey.taxi May 24, 2019
41 days left. June 29, 2019
77 days left.

•••
I am receiving emails about my expiring domain name from Both Alpnames and Moniker.
From where should I attempt to transfer/renew?

•••
I am receiving emails about my expiring domain name from Both Alpnames and Moniker.
Moniker. The Alpnames system seems to be sending automated messages as though they were still in operation, I get them regularly too. If you use Whois it will confirm who registrar is (i.e. If transferred will show Key Systems or Moniker).
Bob

PS While most of mine bulk transferred some time ago, I still have some .top it seems not transferred. Is that so for others?

•••

Moniker.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back